Pride of America or Pride of Hawaii

Cruisin' Larry

We are booked on the Pride of Hawaii for next summer. The more I read about the poor service and food... the more I am concerned. It appears that the Pride of America gets better reviews. Should I switch ships???

This time last year the Pride of America was getting terrible reviews.

This time next year, whatever problems existing on the Pride of Hawaii should be worked out, just like they have been on the Pride of America.

That's assuming they have been worked out. Cruising Hawaii is a far different cruising experence than cruising elsewhere. More than half your week can be spent ashore, and for the remaining half of your week, you'll probably spent half of that asleep. So, you're only awake and roaming around on the ship for a quarter of your vacation time. In 6 hours, you're eating at least two meals, partying aboard in the lounges, and seeing shows. That's a tough challenge for any crew, much less a brand new one.

You get very little time to relax aboard if you try to spend every minute possible ashore. And from reading most reviews, that's exactly what they are trying to do. Shower, dress and eat breakfast in just an hour, spend 10-12 hours ashore partaking in two to three shore excursions, rush back to the ship, shower and dress for dinner and then complain there's no time to see the shows because dinners taking too long.

I don't care what cruise you're sailing on, none can sit everyone for dinner at once. Stop rushing everyone, relax and slow down a little. Try leaving the ship later in the day, or getting back to the ship earlier. You can see Hawaii on 6 hour per day just as well as you can on 12 hours per day. You'll avoid the long lines at the restaurants and buffets if you do. The crew might be able to spend some "quality" time with you, instead of constant rushing about trying to serve everyone at once.

We are booked on the Pride of Hawaii for next summer. The more I read about the poor service and food... the more I am concerned. It appears that the Pride of America gets better reviews. Should I switch ships???

My wife and I have just returned from POH July/August cruise. Absolutely perfect. We could not find single item to complain about. Both agree that this was our best holiday ever and we do travel a lot. Next year we will be cruising with NCLA again.:)

The intinerary seems to be identicle as far as ports and the shore excursiuon choices go. PoAm is decorated in Americana and POH is all Hawaiian decor. Also POH has a larger pool area and free washers and dryers for the passengers to use which PoAm does not. POH has 10 restaurants and PoAM (slightly smaller ship) has 8 restaurants.

Archived