Prescription Drug Problem

arabrab

I flew back from LAX to Denver last night(Sunday), and TSA made me discard my tiny bottle of prescription medicine because it didn't have a prescription label with my name on it. The bottle is labeled Rx, but it is physically too small to fit a prescription label, so pharmacies don't put one on the actual bottle. What's even more ridiculous is that TSA is allowing people to bring onboard up to 4 ounces of liquid OTC drug products, while at the same time forcing me to discard an expensive prescription drug in its original bottle which, if full, held just over one-half ounce. Somehow it isn't risky for someone to bring on-board a 3 oz. bottle of OTC cough medicine, but my tiny bottle of expensive prescription medicine is a threat to national security.

I even appealed to a supervisor, but to no avail.

Good luck to any cancer patients out there who might need morphine drops, or glaucoma patients who might need their eye drops in flight, asthmatics who use prescription inhalers, or people with nut allergies who might like to have their epi-pen handy on the flight. None of these drugs typically are large enough to have labels on the containers, but by God we'll be protected against the security threat they impose.

TSA: We can't find weapons brought through in tests, but we sure can make travel painful.

I flew back from LAX to Denver last night(Sunday), and TSA made me discard my tiny bottle of prescription medicine because it didn't have a prescription label with my name on it. The bottle is labeled Rx, but it is physically too small to fit a prescription label, so pharmacies don't put one on the actual bottle.

Good luck to any cancer patients out there who might need morphine drops, or glaucoma patients who might need their eye drops in flight, asthmatics who use prescription inhalers, or people with nut allergies who might like to have their epi-pen handy on the flight. None of these drugs typically are large enough to have labels on the containers, but by God we'll be protected against the security threat they impose.

TSA: We can't find weapons brought through in tests, but we sure can make travel painful.

This is an excellent post to inform travelers with medications to ensure that every single bottle is labeled with a pharmacy label to include all required information. The only time it's legal to not label individual medication dispensed at a pharmacy is if it'a part of a multipack. The outside box or whatever the units come in will have a label. Save those packages and store all medications in them. This is especially important when dealing with narcotic meds. No one should be flying or in possesion of these meds without the proper labels identifying the medication and the persons name on the container. Not doing so will not only cause issues with the new security rules but could expose the person to drug trafficing laws. I've seen labels on the tinest nitroglycerine bottles so yes it's possible and required by law. I understand frustrations regarding this newly/temporarily imposed rules but as travelers who chose to use the airlines we are responsible for following those rules.....or find alternate transportation.

So far I have not seen this question or answer. I've written TSA but doubt I get a response within 3 wks., if at all. I take 8 meds/day, incl. aspirin & vitamin. [All tablets] I have a list of these on my Dr's letterhead w/his signature. Any possibility that this will be acceptable w/my 7 da. dispenser filled? I'm thinking NOT. None of these TSA ppl are pharmacists and I could put anything I wanted into Rx bottles and who'd know the difference? I'm all for safety but some of these things I've read are over the edge!

TIA

So far I have not seen this question or answer. I've written TSA but doubt I get a response within 3 wks., if at all. I take 8 meds/day, incl. aspirin & vitamin. [All tablets] I have a list of these on my Dr's letterhead w/his signature. Any possibility that this will be acceptable w/my 7 da. dispenser filled? I'm thinking NOT. None of these TSA ppl are pharmacists and I could put anything I wanted into Rx bottles and who'd know the difference? I'm all for safety but some of these things I've read are over the edge!

TIA

I agree, but its not worth the hassle to try and get by. I'm just going to get a 30 day prescription for each medication, and have the pharmacist use small bottles so I can take enough for my trip.

Tablets really are not an issue - liquids are.

Sort of. From a TSA perspective liquids are an issue, but from a Customs perspective liquid and tablets are an issue. Some medications come in gelcaps which may be a problem with TSA and Customs.

The reality is that if you are carrying medications that are out of their original containers, you can always be arrested for illegal possession. THe question then becomes can you be convicted, and the cost of hiring an attorney.

I wonder if an OTC nose spray will be allowed. I get severe sinus blockage when I fly. WIthout it, I am a sniffling idiot, literally. Has anyone encountered this, or know?

I doubt if it would allowed. Have your Dr. write a prescription for the specific OTC you use. Then ask the pharmacist if he could put a label on it. If so your in luck.

You also might consider checking the spelling of your first and last name on your prescription bottles/boxes. If there is an error, have your pharmacy correct it immediately. I checked one of my labels and my last name was spelled wrong. (The last thing I need is my seizure medication confiscated because the names don't match with my I.D.)!:eek:

I wonder if an OTC nose spray will be allowed. I get severe sinus blockage when I fly. WIthout it, I am a sniffling idiot, literally. Has anyone encountered this, or know?

We flew out to San Diego on Aug 9th right before all this happened. DH takes 21 pills a day and puts them in the weekly little box containers. He gets his drugs in 3 month supplies and I always make sure we have a copy of the prescriptions on hand. He travels with a cpap and nebulizer machine. TSA did swab his carryon but said nothing about his pills. On the return flight on Aug 17 after the new rules again they said nothing about his stuff. I too always travel with an OTC nasal saline spray. By the 17th the rules had changed a little and you could now carry on 4 oz of non prescription medication which included the nasal spray. I took mine with me and the TSA man approved it to be carried on the plane.

I do worry about carrying DH drugs in the 7 day boxes but there is no way we could take his full load of bottles and getting a 30 day supply just to carry on our trips would be very costly. So as long as we don't have gel caps I think we will be OK.

We usually pack all of our meds in the 7-day dispensers. Not this trip! We've unpacked our 7-day dispensers and put the prescription items back into their original pharmacy containers. The extra pills from each prescription will be left at home in ziplock bags since we need the original bottles with us.

I usually take fish oil gel caps every day but I'm not even bothering to take them with us. I guess I'll just have to risk an extra 14 days of cholesterol clogging my arteries! :eek: That's probably better than trying to explain to TSA why I'm carrying 28 great big gel filled capsules!!! LOL!

Cheryl

We flew out to San Diego on Aug 9th right before all this happened. DH takes 21 pills a day and puts them in the weekly little box containers. He gets his drugs in 3 month supplies and I always make sure we have a copy of the prescriptions on hand. He travels with a cpap and nebulizer machine. TSA did swab his carryon but said nothing about his pills. On the return flight on Aug 17 after the new rules again they said nothing about his stuff. I too always travel with an OTC nasal saline spray. By the 17th the rules had changed a little and you could now carry on 4 oz of non prescription medication which included the nasal spray. I took mine with me and the TSA man approved it to be carried on the plane.

I do worry about carrying DH drugs in the 7 day boxes but there is no way we could take his full load of bottles and getting a 30 day supply just to carry on our trips would be very costly. So as long as we don't have gel caps I think we will be OK.

Was just talking to a friend I'm cruising with 7/2, comparing packing notes. She was packing meds in 7 day boxes, plus some in her luggage. Has anyone had the 7-day boxes disposed of by TSA (no gel caps). She also has two inhalers that she HAS to have with her. The labels are on the boxes, and she only has the box for one of them. She gets her meds, including the inhalers, from an insurer's mail order service, 90 day supply, come in large containers.

In this case, especially worrisome, as we will be boarding an international flight (not through UK), one day stay in CPH, then on Princess, so getting replacement meds shipped to her would be difficult if not impossible. At this rate she's going to have an anxiety/asthma attack at the airport, with no meds!

Any experiences, suggestions, place to get a firm answer. I tried the TSA site, but got only the "orginal container, label with same name" etc., but from posts above there do seem to be some exceptions.

Can't you just put the gel tabs in your checked luggage? After all, they are not exactly needed in flight. Just a thought.:p

You're so right and I'm sure we could. I'm just trying to avoid anything that creates an issue (the queen of overkill here!) I've already been told that because our tickets are one-way on an international flight on 9/11 we are likely to get the hairy eyeball from security. Guess I'm getting overly cautious in my zeal! :D

Cheryl

Cable went out for a minute so if this ends up as dbl post..Sorry!

This past week I have received 4 auto responses from TSA and no answer to my question! Anyone surprised @ government efficiency? Still can't decide if Drs. order sheet I've always carried with me will be accepted.

We live in Spain and in a couple of weeks will be flying Spain to London then via Chicago to New Orleans to join the ship. For the prescription drugs(some drops) we need, I was going to ask our Doctor for a letter but now I am wondering what to do.

No drugs prescribed by a Doctor and obtained from a pharamcy over here have the patients name on them (even a restricted drug eg. morphine although ID is required at the pharmacy).

My question is will the TSA accept a Doctors letter?

Archived