Alaska "smell"

Sarahgraci

This is a totally random question, BUT.....For those of you who have been to Alaska, what smell makes you think about your trip? Did you take anything with you hoping to make it what you know as "Alaska"? For example, I had a coconut lime candle on my honeymoon in Jamaica. I'm trying to figure out something for Alaska. Any ideas?

This is a totally random question, BUT.....For those of you who have been to Alaska, what smell makes you think about your trip? Did you take anything with you hoping to make it what you know as "Alaska"? For example, I had a coconut lime candle on my honeymoon in Jamaica. I'm trying to figure out something for Alaska. Any ideas?

Honestly? The sickly sweet smell of Cutters and Avon's Skin-So-Soft. All the mosquitoes in Fairbanks during the summer, you see :)

Following the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan, we passed through their gift shop. They had some kind of incense burning in a little log cabin burner that smelled a lot like a campfire/woods, if I remember correctly. It was different... not bad, kind of intriguing, and it put me in mind of camping. I didn't purchase one, but it did make me pause. I think they offer it on their website.

I am one of those people who notices the smells of their environment and somehow file the smells away with my memories. For instance, salt air and tar remind me of the beach bulkheads on the north shore of Long Island. Corn flakes, milk, and bananas on a summer morning equals my mother's kitchen.

Alaska, especially interior Alaska, drove me nuts!!! There was barely any smell. I kept asking my dh & 4 friends, do you smell anything???? Anything??? I had to literally stick my nose in a pine tree while it was still dewy in the morning to smell a little pine scent.

On the positive side, there was no pollution smell, either.

The only real smell I remember was a "muted" salt water marsh at low tide smell while we were in Anchorage standing where the tide had gone out. For once, I was glad the smell was muted. Not a pretty smell.

So, instead of a piney smell, I think I'd recommend a "clean" smell, sort of like Yankee Candle Clean Linen or Fresh (can't remember what it is fresh).

Alaska, especially interior Alaska, drove me nuts!!! There was barely any smell. I kept asking my dh & 4 friends, do you smell anything???? Anything??? I had to literally stick my nose in a pine tree while it was still dewy in the morning to smell a little pine scent.

I do agree with you that there wasn't much woodsy-piney odor!

For the most part, I found no scent to Alaska. Not the woods, not the ocean.

The best we had was when we had a campfire at our Denali campsite, and the wood gave off the good ole' campfire scent.

What I want is a waterfall to mimmick the sound of the beautiful falls we saw all over Alaska!

Archived