Bermuda with limited mobility

swissmax

We are on the Majesty to Bermuda on Aug 27. DH has very limited mobility due to post-polio and is hoping to be able to get off the ship and see a little bit of the island. Any recommendations for easy tours and ways to get around would be appreciated. Also, how easy are the public buses to board? Steps to go up?? Thanks.

Hi, We will be on this cruise (AUG.27, 2006). We were on this ship last year. Very easy to get around. How does your huband get around? I know the staff will help with getting on and off the ship. Opps ! ! i should mention my husband has ms. and uses a Jazzy wheelchair to get around. There are some cabs with ramps and if I recall the buses do have a step or two. The Ferry/water taxi , has a ramp.

Hi, We will be on this cruise (AUG.27, 2006). We were on this ship last year. Very easy to get around. How does your huband get around? I know the staff will help with getting on and off the ship. Opps ! ! i should mention my husband has ms. and uses a Jazzy wheelchair to get around. There are some cabs with ramps and if I recall the buses do have a step or two. The Ferry/water taxi , has a ramp.

Other than at Kings Wharf and BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo) Bermuda is not easy to get around for someone who is a non-walker. There are a few accessible minivan taxis and you should reserve well in advance. I've done two cruises there but not since the island rebuilt after the last major hurricane. There was talk then of making somethings more accessible and adding curb cuts.

• 2 weeks later...

We're just back from our Majesty cruise. Husband uses a cane and can only walk short distances. Docking in St. George's was ideal because the town is right by the dock. Also, the ferry which we took to Dockyard and Hamilton stops right in front of the ship. He stayed on the ship most of the time. Seas were very rough returning from Bermuda. He didn't dare leave the cabin all day for fear of falling. Loaner wheelchairs were not available.

Sorry you did not have a good experience on your sea days. This is why I always recommend that those with any mobility impairment take their own wheelchair. A little balance problem can be a big problem if there are any seas without a wheelchair.

Archived