Bartering in Mexico

luvocean9

I understand that in Mexico, one usually negotiates a price when buying stuff. My question is, does that apply to beach vendors? For example, does one bargain for beach umbrellas, chairs, beach position, horseback rides, floats, food, drinks, etc. Which things are negotiable, and which things are not, and how do you know the difference?

I understand that in Mexico, one usually negotiates a price when buying stuff. My question is, does that apply to beach vendors? For example, does one bargain for beach umbrellas, chairs, beach position, horseback rides, floats, food, drinks, etc. Which things are negotiable, and which things are not, and how do you know the difference?

i personlly dont think you barter for any of the above --have fun bartering with those folks selling trinkets and all sort of things especially in open air markets -- also dont pay asking price in jewelry stores

Menu items are fixed and non-negotiable. Most beach areas with chairs and/or umbrellas have a bar/restaurant that owns and services them. I have yet to be charged for their use but it is understood you will purchase food and/or beverages that they offer.

Any other good or services (horseback rides, para-sailing, hair braiding, etc.) are fully negotiable. Most stores will negotiate price and that final cost will be dependent on the form of payment. Cash (dollars or pesos) is preferred over plastic. Mexico is still a cash society. Most vendors can't afford to absorb the vendor fees that the CC companies charge. Expect a cash discount vs plastic or even a surcharge for plastic. So you have to way the need for buyer protection vs. final cost for any given item.

Also, always notify your CC company in advance of your travel. Most fraud protection departments will freeze your account is transactions from Mexico suddenly pop up out of the blue.

Enjoy!

Archived