Tipping in Mexico

luvocean9

While in Mexico, I would like to do the right thing for the culture. Is it customary to:

• tip waiters for drinks and food? If so, how much?
  • tip cab drivers? If so, how much?

Is there anything else I need to know about tipping in Mexico, or is it pretty much the same as it is in the US?

While in Mexico, I would like to do the right thing for the culture. Is it customary to:

Is there anything else I need to know about tipping in Mexico, or is it pretty much the same as it is in the US?

The average wage in Mexico for one week is less than what the average American make in one hour. Be generous with the wait staff in bars and eating establishments.

In Vallarta, tipping taxi drivers is not expected unless they shlep baggage for you.

Enjoy!

If they are giving good service or showing me a good time, I tip very well - probably even better than I do in the states because I know how much it means to them and I like to see their faces light up! I also tip taxi drivers (even in PV!) an extra few dollars (or more for a long ride) even if they aren't schlepping bags for me! ;) When I'm having fun, I like every one to be happy!

My suggestion is that you tip waitstaff in Mexico no differently - percentage wise - as you do at home, no more/no less. Taxi's in almost all of Mexico are individually owned/operated and fares not closely regulated, and where no meters are used and fares are "bargained" or set solely by a driver - no tip is necessary or warranted. Of course, exemplary service provided by anyone often warrants something additional. Mexicans tend to under-tip, as compared to foreigners. I try not to upset local custom, and I don't wander about with a guilty conscience about having more than the people living where I visit.

There are two types of taxis that operate in Puerto Vallarta.

"White" taxis operate from the Federal properties at the maritime terminal (cruise ship dock) and the airport. They charge per person and have fixed rates that are rather high. Leave the port property and walk the half-block east toward WalMart and grab a "yellow" city taxi.

"Yellow" taxis operate throughout the rest of the city. Fares are regulated on a zone basis and the price charged is per taxi with up to four people in the taxi. I believe the current charge for a trip from the port area to the Malecon (downtown strip) is $5 USD (50 pesos).

This is a good, low commercial content, web site that can answer many of your questions about Vallarta. http://www.vallarta-info.com/puerto-vallarta-transport.html

You don't negotiate fares with taxi drivers in Vallarta unless you are looking to hire one as a tour guide for a couple hours to see the city and surrounding areas. Simple point-to-point transport is a fixed fee.

Enjoy!

Archived