Curacao Cheese

drdaddy

While in Curacao, I understand that the cheese wheels are pretty famous and popular. Does anyone know a good, reputable store to purchase cheese? Also, is there a way to send it home instead of taking it on board. For that matter, CAN you take something like that on board and bring it into the states? I know you cannot bring fruit or veggies off the ship when you disembark, but does that apply to cheese?

Flying home is no issue because we live within driving distance of Port Everglades.

I guess this question also applies to a stop in Aruba, too.

Thanks

There was a grocery store in Aruba within walking distance of the pier. It's near the post office. Just ask around. Their prices were better than the tourist shops in Curacao. Yes, you can bring it home if it's wrapped in the hard plastic, which it usually is. If you buy anything else in that store, check the dated items. They had boxes of Triscuit crackers, etc., with way past expired dates.

There is a store in Curacao called Little Holland. They have cheese there. They keep it refridgated but it is not necessary unless you open the wheel. I bought a couple of wheels in Curacao 4 days before coming back home and the cheese kept well. No problem getting on the ship with it, customs even on the flight back home.

Hi, Rob,

I have this information for ARUBA (not Curacao)

Kong Hing & Ling & Sons for gouda cheese. Go to bus station and get bus going to "high rise" beach area. Ask driver to let you off at grocery stores ($2).

Somehow I have the feeling they'll be lots of gouda cheese available. We saw some for sale in St. Maartin recently at one of the stores at the port. Don't remember the price but I thought it was expensive and thought to myself I'd wait until Aruba.

Hi, Rob,

I have this information for ARUBA (not Curacao)

Kong Hing & Ling & Sons for gouda cheese. Go to bus station and get bus going to "high rise" beach area. Ask driver to let you off at grocery stores ($2).

Somehow I have the feeling they'll be lots of gouda cheese available. We saw some for sale in St. Maartin recently at one of the stores at the port. Don't remember the price but I thought it was expensive and thought to myself I'd wait until Aruba.

We've never been to Aruba-so how far is the bus stop from the port and what else did you buy at this store, how did you find this place ?

Archived