Cruise west - spirit of columbia

boomercat

Looking for a review of this ship, including possibility of seasickness on a small ship. Anybody been on the glacier cruise. Also, on the land portion of the cruise - are the hotels standard Holiday Inn types or 5-star lodging? How's the on-board food? Anything else?

Looking for a review of this ship, including possibility of seasickness on a small ship. Anybody been on the glacier cruise. Also, on the land portion of the cruise - are the hotels standard Holiday Inn types or 5-star lodging? How's the on-board food? Anything else?

I have been on the Spirit of Columbia - but it was on the Inside Passage Route. I have also done the Prince William Sound cruise on another Cruise West ship.

You will really like the glacier cruise - it was one of my favorites - you will see tons of glaciers - and beautiful green meadows that meet the glaciers.

PWS is pretty sheltered - you won't have any trouble with seasickness. Remember that those small ship ride close to the water - and make for some of the smoothest cruising.

The ship itself needs some serious upgrading. Don't buy an inside stateroom unless you want to feel like you are in a sardine can for several nights. The Spirit of Columbia is one of my least favorite Cruise West ships.

The rooms on the land portion are going to be nice, clean standard hotels - very much like Days Inn. They are definately NOT luxury - 2 stars at most except in Anchorage - where you may get a 3 star hotel.

Food is not fancy - but usually pretty good. As long as you have nice weather, you will enjoy your cruise/tour. If it is rainy - there aren't many places to go on the ship or the tour where you don't feel really cramped.

Archived