Breakfast in San Juan?

Mim Lloyd

We're staying in the Radisson the night before our cruise (next February). We're leaving for the ship at 11.00am. Can someone recommend a good place for breakfast? When we visited New York and San Francisco we went to proper American diners and had the best breakfasts we've ever had! Anything similar in San Juan near to the hotel?

It may seem a bit sad getting all excited about a breakfast, but we did REALLY love our American diner brekkies!

Yep....I got a place for you. While in San Juan for a 2 night precruise stay last Nov. we ate once at our hotel (El Convento) and the other morning we walked down to La Bombonera.

La Bombonera is a 100 year old bakery/cafe that all the locals eat at. The entire front window is loaded with homemade pastries - so much so you will have a big problem deciding which to choose. HOWEVER do not miss the mallorcas....they are heavenly. They grow their own coffee and brew it in a big silver contraption on the counter and waiters in bow ties serve you. They have regular food (eggs, bacon etc) as well as some Puerto Rican items thrown in. AND IT IS VERY CHEAP AS MEALS GO IN SAN JUAN.

I could give you some links but there are many so your best bet is to do a search " LA BOMBONERA SAN JUAN " and then just read some of the reviews etc. It is located on Calle San Fransisco in old San Juan near shops and the central plaza. The piers are close by.

We loved old San Juan and can't wait to get back....

I agree with Texancruzer.

On our yearly trek to PR, we always make it a point to go there for at least a cup of coffee at the counter. Can you believe it! We took a picture of their coffee maker because we like their coffee so much. Hubby and I get a kick out of watching the guy set the whole thing up and also of the interaction among the various servers.

Among the pastries they have, there is one that has a seasoned ground beef filling. I like that one with coffee as an afternoom "pick me up", to charge my batteries while walking Old San Juan from one end to the other.

As Texancruzer mentioned, you can get a standard breakfast, however the "tostadas criollas" or toast made with the local bread would be something a bit different and they are addictive.

I'd like to point out that this is also a great place for lunch. I still can't get over how inexpensive good food can be in PR when you stay away from the trendy, touristy places.

I Googled it and read the great reviews. Is it far from the Radisson, do you know? It's just that my sister has mobility problems and walks very slow. It's also difficult for her to walk any long distance. We're also being picked up from the hotel at 11.00am so don't have too much time to get breakfast and be back for the pick up.

MIM: I think you need to check out this link.... it is a map which will give you a better idea of where you are staying. You are NOT anywhere near OLD SAN JUAN (which is only about 15 square blocks) on the tip of the left side of the map. Radisson is almost all the way to the right....closer to the airport than old San Juan I think.

I do not know what places there are to eat WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE of your hotel.....as we stayed at the El Convento in the heart of old San Juan.

Hopefully your cruiseline transfer will be better at picking you up than ours was..... we waited forever and it did not show up. So we then just took our own taxi..... I will not use cruiseline transfers again ! With a taxi you have control over when and cost is actually less :eek: I hope you get to Old San Juan as it is truly a remarkable place..... not like the area outside of it. Lots of centuries old bldgs., plazas, parks and the old wall and forts are amazing. The people were very friendly and obviously proud of their city. We walked ALL OVER and loved it !

Well if we don't get to La Bombonera for breakfast we can certainly try it out during the day. Other posters have told us of the unreliability of RCCI picking you up as per arrangements so we might get a taxi to the ship anyway. We intend to dump our luggage and then get a taxi to the old town for some sightseeing as our ship doesn't leave San Juan until 10pm. An afternoon pastry sounds very tempting!

Hello Mim, My DH and I also loved the diners in NY. The Bombonera is indeed

a special place and I hope you have time to enjoy it. However, your hotel is

in Condado area and the diner/convenience store we liked there is long gone.

There is a cafe on Ashford across from the Marriott that serves breakfast. I

can't think of the name but they have tables on the raised sidewalk as well

as inside seating. That would be about three blocks to walk. Enjoy San Juan!

Guest rfrenchbaxter

Hey all of you, it is so great that you have so much knowledge about these ports and are willing to share your knowledge.

We will be flying in a day early for our cruise in Jan. We are staying in The Normandie Hotel.

Can you tell us some really good food for Dinner that is good and and reasonable. My DH is a meat and potato man but will eat other food also!!!!

Also, can you tell me places of interest that you enjoyed?

Last, is the taxi service reasonable? Say a 15 minute ride what wil it cost me appro.?

Thank you

Rfrenchbaxter

We stayed at Marriott Resort on Ashford Ave. in Condado and walked to Cafe del Angel for dinner, the mofongo with grouper and the grouper with caper sauce are both delicious.

This is a local Puerto Rican restaurant, nothing fancy but very clean, great prices and great service, and fabulous local food. I would go there again in a second.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...