Breakfast in San Juan?

Mim Lloyd

Good morning, everyone ... or would 'in mourning' be more appropriate? La Bombanera had long been a favorite breakfast stop for myself and my family whenever our cruise schedule brought us into San Juan ... but not any longer. :(

Not that far from the Carnival terminal, it was a good walk through Old Town, a great breakfast of coffee and mallorcas, a chance to visit with 'the locals' at the counter, and then an easy downhill walk back to the terminal in plenty of time for departure.

La Bombanera was featured on Food Network in a 2009 episode of Andrew Zimmern's "Bizarre Eats" ... though I have no idea what was bizarre" about their menu. At the time, I was concerned the broadcast might spark a flood of foodies, overwhelming the little diner or causing looooong lines.

But such was NOT the case ... La Bombanera has since closed its doors, bringing to an end a 110-year history of food and fellowship in that community.

Old San Juan continues to be a favorite shore excursion for me ... but I shall have to seek another location for breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...
Yep....I got a place for you. While in San Juan for a 2 night precruise stay last Nov. we ate once at our hotel (El Convento) and the other morning we walked down to La Bombonera.

La Bombonera is a 100 year old bakery/cafe that all the locals eat at. The entire front window is loaded with homemade pastries - so much so you will have a big problem deciding which to choose. HOWEVER do not miss the mallorcas....they are heavenly. They grow their own coffee and brew it in a big silver contraption on the counter and waiters in bow ties serve you. They have regular food (eggs, bacon etc) as well as some Puerto Rican items thrown in. AND IT IS VERY CHEAP AS MEALS GO IN SAN JUAN.

I could give you some links but there are many so your best bet is to do a search " LA BOMBONERA SAN JUAN " and then just read some of the reviews etc. It is located on Calle San Fransisco in old San Juan near shops and the central plaza. The piers are close by.

We loved old San Juan and can't wait to get back....

La Bombonera sounds delicious!!! :D We will definitely have breakfast there in April.

Any advice on a place to have lunch in Old San Juan? Thinking of doing dinner at

Barrachina, but need a place in OSJ to have lunch.