Helicopter & Whale Watching - Too Dark for Both??

traveladdicted

Hello,

Based on the information I have gathered from these boards (thank you everyone!), I have been revising my shore excursions for this September.

I am cruising the inside passage September 6-13 and stopping in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan.

I had originally thought of the helicopter/dog sledding but I'm going to assume that it will be shut-down and book something else instead.

Juneau - 2:00 - 11:00 PM

- Does it make sense to book both Captain Larry for whale watching and Coastal for helicopter? Or, since we dock so late, will it be too dark to do both?

- How early does it get dark at that time of year?

- If I was only choosing one of the two, which would you recommend?

- Or, is a floatplane the way to go??!!

Skagway - 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM

- I've heard good things about the helicopter/glacier excursions for both Juneau and Skagway. Is one a better glacier experience or are they fairly equal?

- As we're not really interested in the train trip or renting a car in Skagway, the helicopter excursion might make more sense here. Thoughts?

Ketchikan - 11:00 AM - 7:00 PM

- Mountain Point Snorkeling - it runs from 1300 - 1600

- I think shopping will take up the remainer of the day? If anyone has thoughts on excursions for after the snorkeling, that would be great.

Thank you for all your help! I can't believe it's only three weeks away!!! I thought I had this all figured out, darn dog sledding cancellations :)

It will be dusk about 7:30, so no, with the whale watch likely 3:30pm, you probably will not be able to schedule both. Go out of Skagway, no difference in one being better than the other location. And very very likely, you are too late for the glacier dog sledding.

Contact Orca and see what they say. We're going a week later (same port time) and they told me that we could do both if we wanted. We'd do the flight first and then the whale watching. However, I thought we'd be too pressed for time and decided just to do whale watching since I was chickening out on the helicopter anyhow :)

Archived