Jet Skiing?

JuJuBe500

After a great experience last year at Costa Maya jet skiing, my boyfriend and I would like to try it on St. Maarten. Anyone know the best place and most reasonably priced on the island? Thanks for any info!

Julie

There is a place right in town where the ships dock. I was there two years ago. It was $40 for half an hour. The water was crystal clear and they let you go far enough out so you can ride the waves from other boats passing by. It was a blast!

Depending on how busy they are, rates are usually VERY negotiable on Orient, (just to the right of Pedro's).

If there are more than a couple of cruise ships in on the day you're there, then discounts may be hard to find.

If you want to hang relatively close to town / the pier, you can just take the water taxi (or walk) over to the Phillipsburg boardwalk. The beach there is nice, lots of chairs lined up about 6 feet from the water (anywhere between $10 to free, depending on the locale.)

The new hubby & I parked ourselves there for most of the day and there were several places along the beach boardwalk to rent jet-skis. They were asking $40/30 min and we got them down to $35, since they weren't very busy. The downside is that you can't get out of the bay really, but if you get out far enough, the waves are pretty significant - fun wave jumping!!

Where did you get the deal on the chair, jet ski, and water tramp at Great Bay?

How is the beach at Great Bay? How are the waves along the shore?

How far is it from the cruise ship dock?

I would appreciate any info you can provide. Thanks!:cool:

Where did you get the deal on the chair, jet ski, and water tramp at Great Bay?

How is the beach at Great Bay? How are the waves along the shore?

How far is it from the cruise ship dock?

I would appreciate any info you can provide. Thanks!:cool:

We walked a little ways down. You will see people renting jet skis along the way, I think it was the third set of jet skis to be rented. I wish I could remember the guys name. It was with the water trampoline. He was a big guy and had a couple people working with him to get you drinks and set up with life vests. We just walked down and everyone is trying to get you to rent their chairs. They are all $10.00 for 2, but some will include your first drink stuff like that. We knew we wanted to rent a jet ski so I walked a little way down and my son liked the water trampoline idea too, so I stopped with this guy. He told me to rent the jet skis it would be $40 and chairs $10 for 2. I played the game and he said alright $45, so I said throw in the water tramp and you got a deal. He said fine. It was probably about half way or more away from the dock area on the left side looking from the bay. The waves were actually pretty decent, but not like you would think here. Not really enough to "body surf" with. The water also dropped off pretty dramatically in depth not far from shore. About 20 feet or so out it ended up being over my head. You could jump off the trampoline without any worries. The sand was a funky sand like a lot of broken shells, but was nice.

Its not far from the cruise ship dock, only about 5 minutes (? or less) by water taxi. The water was very warm and we were there in January. If you rent the jet skis you can take them any where except near the cruise ships, but you can go along the rocks and see a ship that washed up on the rocks and wrecked, you can go near other boats and watch the regatta excursions stuff like that. Sometimes there are swells that you can try and jump on, it was a lot of fun.

The only thing I would warn you about are the hawkers. There were a lot of them. They came by constantly and a polite no would keep them on their way, but it did get a little annoying after a while. Good prices though on hats and shirts. Any other questions, let me know.

I thought the best place to Jet Ski is Orient Bay. The waves are pretty decent. Bigger than you would see in Phillipsburg. But I don't remember how much they were to rent. Possibly $40/30mins. JuJuBee500 Where did you do the jet ski's in Costa Maya?

Archived