Have you been butled?

Jana

Does anyone have butler experience to share with me? I'm one of Cruise Critic's writers. I'm doing an article on butler service... which ships have it, what level of accommodation you need in order to get it, what's good about it, whether or not it's worth it.

Has anyone had an extraordinary cruise because of a butler?

Please talk to me!

Jana

Hey, I'm with you on that! (springing for the butler-level suites, I mean!) But then, it would be just my story, right? And it ain't, it's yours too.

(I've been butled twice. Lovely experiences).

Jana

Cruiseluvva, can you share one or two of your experiences with me? Is there any one incident or special service that stands out?

Thanks so much for responding!

Jana

On our Canaries Collection cruise in April my husband celebrated his birthday - not a "special" birthday. While we were out in Cadiz, the Butler decorated our our suite with about 30 balloons and streamers hanging from the ceiling plus balloons and streamers all around the walls - it looked quite magical when we returned. He had made a beautiful card from supplies his daughter sent over from India and this was displayed on the drinks cabinet along with Happy Birthday confetti.

We had arranged a small pre dinner champagne reception for our table companions, including the Captain and his partner, and a few friends we had made on board. The Butler, arranged everything - canapes, drinks, glasses, napkins etc and arranged for another Butler to take over his usual duties, so he could stay with us for the whole time, serving us all and handing around the canapes, then when we left for dinner he cleared everything away so that the suite was neat and tidy on our return.

I had ordered a cake to be served at dinner so our table companions could share. This should have been paid for, but he waived the charge.

As suite passengers we were delivered a plate of canapes every evening. The first evening these were smoked salmon with Caviare. Since I don't eat fish and very little meat, my husband ate a few and we left the rest. The Butler commented on the fact there were some left on the plate, and when I explained, he rushed off to the galley and came back with a plate with vegetarian canapes just for me. Every evening from then on, we received two plates of canapes - one for my husband and a different one for me.

On P&O cruises only suite passengers get Butler service, and it does cost a lot more, BUT, we felt it was worth every penny. We were completely relaxed by the end of the cruise and life at home without a Butler was a real shock! The cruise was one we had booked because it was a convenient time for us, the ports were of little consideration, but the fantastic service we received from the Butler made it one of our best cruises ever.

Hope this helps with your article.

Since no one has answered the obvious question .. and since this post is on the Cunard forum I will limit my post to that line.

Yes Cunard has Butler service on the QM2. I could not find on-line information about the QE2 .. and the QV will probably follow the QM2 scheme.

QM2 details are http://www.cunard.com/OurShips/default.asp?Ship=QM2&main=acc&sub=qgr and the Butler is in addition to the Steward. On some Queens Grill Suites (Q2 and above?) there are two Butlers assigned.

The Butler is more of a 'manager' who delivers the canapes and will pack and unpack for you. The Steward tends to do the cleaning functions.

Other cruise lines (I am assuming that the OP is posting there also) may have some Butler (or Concierge) level service for Suites ... tho in many cases the Steward in suites has less rooms to clean and therefore is a semi-Butler. But that can be found on those forums.

My Bulter on the QM2 was fabulous! I really never saw the Steward! My Butler was very responsive and asked that I page him should I need anything. Within a few minutes I got a call back or a knock on the door!

Our experience on QE2 is based on the Signal Deck.

On our last trip we had three staff at butler grade, and two "bathroom boys". No steward.

But basically, everything we could want was done for us, prompty and efficiently, and with cheery friendliness. Our requirements are fairly simple - we don't go in for catering in our suite and holding parties and so on - but everything was faultless. I don't recognise the "butler does this, steward does that" experience at all. Butler service on QE2 is essentially superb staff who have only 22 cabins between them, giving more than enough time to do things as they ought to be done.

According to the brochure, QV will have butlers only for the four Q1 grade and two Q2 grade suites. But who knows? I'd be surprised if the Q3/Q4 grade will just get a steward!

Archived