Have you been butled?

Jana

On a March '05 Panama Canal cruise on Radisson/Regent. We had penthouse accomodations that included a butler - this level chosen for suite size and not the butler. Our butler "A" and his friend, butler "B" were from a south Asian country. They had worked in their homeland in concierge service at an upscale hotel. They were using the Regent work experience as training for future positions as head butlers in UK homes. They regretted that 2 week cruises did not permit them to come to know their assigned pax well enough in order to be able to anticipate our every whim as they would hope to do when they worked for a family on land.

Regent provides a bottle of liquor per passenger in each suite. Day one, we told A that, even tho DH liked vodka he would not be drinking in the room. We requested 2 bottles of Irish Cream. A brought the vodka anyway. The vodka went unopened and after a week, A removed the vodka and brought the second bottle of Irish Cream that we initially requested. It seemed that A thought that he knew better than we did what we wanted.

Our suite had 2 stewards. A told us that if we had any cabin maintenance problems or requests that we should go through him and he would inform the stewards. It was as if we should not speak directly speak to the stewards.

Having a butler did not add to our cruise and it did not detract from the cruise. We would prefer not having a butler in the future. We felt that A was just too anxious to serve. We were intimidated by his desire to serve. It just isn't us.

Had a lovely (female) butler on QM2 that did a lot for us. She made sure

we had our soft drinks and juices replenished in addition to the 4 bottles of

booze we chose from her list. Brought hors d'oeuvres in the pm. took laundry

for dry cleaning. She made took care of our shore excursions, and also

brought sandwiches from the concierge lounge when she thought we needed

them. Good finger sandwiches, too! Made a pot of tea several times and

poured it. Will I ever have another butler? Only if I ever have a QM2 suite

again, which means never unless I win the lottery.

By the way, the service in the Queens Grill was superb, and friendly, too.

The food was terrific, which I didn't really expect.

I couldn't imagine what I would do with a butler.

Can't wait to read your article just to find out how others have used him.

--rita

Ditto. In fact it makes me uncomfortable to have someone in cabin do, what I can do myself. ( Yeah, I am one of those that tends to make my own bed.)

If however, I entertained in cabin, like BESP, it sounds like a fabulous idea to take care of guests, while enjoying one's own party.

Archived