Excursions for Juneau/Skagway/Ketchikan/Victoria

debcsus

I'm looking for some advise and opinions on what we're looking at and have choosen for our cruise. This is rather late (we leave on Aug. 24th) but I've just got back from a cruise I won (yay) and got engaged on (yay) which means I'm doubly broke and have to be pretty economical on this trip and try to get the most bang for my buck. :)

It will be myself (mid-twenties) and my mom (late forties). I'm very active, she is pretty active. I like to do a lot of independent traveler and she will follow where I lead, so I want to lead her well!

Juneau - Actually, this is the one I'm stuck on the most. I would like to take the bus people have mentioned on the board to Mendenhall Glacier and hike a bit. I'll be with my Mom though and I don't think she'd want to do more then a 3 mile hike, 5 at the absolute most. Definately want to at least see it though, any other ideas for what to do in the afternoon, or trails at the glacier?

Skagway - I'm looking at either the White Pass Summit Bus & Rail or the Yukon Busy & Rail Excursion with Chilkoot tours. Any suggestions on which one?

Ketchikan - We'll be doing SE Sea Kayak's Orca's cove tour because we've heard a lot of good things about it. Any other ideas for what to do the rest of the day?

Victoria - We're only there from 7-2 so maybe just Butchart Gardens on our own with afternoon tea.

Let me know what you guys think. I'm a very independent traveler so I don't mind public transport (with good directions) or non-cruise ship vendors (with good reviews).

Thanks in advance for any help!

The Mendenhall shuttle bus picks up at the dock. The East Loop trail is 3 1/2 miles, I suggest the switchback up and stairs back. This means the first trailhead. If up to it, add the Nugget creek trail. You will have NO access to the glacier and actually the best viewing will be from the "unofficial" trail, walking along the lake. http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.html

Does there happen to be a car rental available via Avis? out of Skagway? This is an excellent budget recommendation, follow Murray's South Klondike Highway guide http://www.explorenorth.com and go 150 miles round trip to Emerald Lake. If you want a combo tour, definately the Yukon/Bus combo.

Southeast Kayaks is an excellent well run company. For clairfication, despite the name, you are not likely to see any wildlife.

You can take the express bus to Butchart, I would not recommend the city bus since you are short on time. Pick up is behind the Empress, you do not want the tour buses that line up in front. There is an Inner Harbor Visitor Center, just past the Empress on the left, that can give you the current information.

Juneau also offers the Mt. Roberts tram with more hiking trails at the top. The tram is $23.95: http://www.goldbelttours.com/travel/day_trips/juneau/tram.html

If you can afford it Juneu and Skagway offer highly recommended glacier/helicopter tours starting at $192pp. Coastal is the cheapest in Juneau.

http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/

There are also trails in Skagway and the Gold Rush museum. There are ranger led tours of the town too:http://www.nps.gov/klgo/

Other options in Ketchikan include visiting Saxam Village or Totem Blight parks.

I definitely agree with the post above, rent a car in Skagway and drive over the White Pass. It is a bunch less expensive than the train, you will see more and you can stop at your leisure. Go on into the Yukon to the World's Smallest Desert and Emerald Lake. Have lunch at Spirit Lake Lodge and then go to Caribou Crossing for the wonderful museum and the dog musher's camp!

Check our report and pics at Cruising with the Halls, click on the Sun Princess cruise and the Zuiderdam cruise to Alaska.

In Juneau, I went to Mendenhall Glacier on the bus and did the East Glacier Loop trail. Not super close to the glacier but it was a very nice hike. Saw a small waterfall real close as well as other nice picture-worthy scenery. Could see the glacier from a couple of vantage points on the trail.

I did it as Budget Queen mentioned above, which is in a clockwise direction - the dirt trail first then the return was mostly on wooden stairs.

Archived