Use Self Assist or Do I Have Enough Time?

BobolGrobol

Hey everybody,

Ohhhh, I am FREAKING out. Only 23 days until my trip. Gosh, after planning this since January, it suddenly seems like the time has raced by. :)

Anyway, I am wondering (fairly inexperienced traveler here) if my 1:00 PM return flight leaves me enough time to do traditional disembarkation. I think my papers from Carnival say not to book flights before 2:00 PM.

I'm hoping we will be able to make it. I have three suitcases, three carry-ons and a three year old. I don't relish the thought of doing the self assist. :)

Oh, and another stupid question...what happens if I miss the flight? I've never been close to having that happen and I'm not sure what would occur. We have to buy all new tickets? I have to quit my job and live in Miami? :p

Thanks for any responses. I'm too excited to think straight.

Bobol

Well, Miami is a good start... but is that the airport you are leaving from? If so, you should be okay...SHOULD being the key word.

Hi GoinCruisin,

Yup, we are off the Valor 9.17.06 in Miami and fly from MIA to MSP, supposedly at 1:00 PM.

I wouldn't mind doing the self assist (not opposed to a bit of exercise), but I've read some icky reviews of it and I just don't think my DH and I can handle six bags and still find a hand free in order to keep the DD close.

:)

Thanks for writing back.

You should have plenty of time to make a 1pm Miami flight, assuming there are no delays at disembarkation. :)

At the very worst, if you miss your flight they will put you on standby for the next flight out (which is usually no big deal for just 2 adults).

No worries :D

I was just on the valor a few weeks ago and chose NOT to self disembark, here is my experience:

At 7:30 anouncement came over the speaker saying if you were not self disembarking to please stay in your cabin because all the halls were clogged with people and sure enough, i opened the cabin door to see a sea of suitcases and people crammed in the halls, finally it was over. We were the second set of colors called at 10am so i was very happy about that. We made the jurney through the ship and everything was quite smooth, until we came apon the warehouse of wall to wall suitcases, we found ours and then had to get in a line that wrapped completely around the inside of the warehouse, people were cutting in line and pushing so the line really wasn't moving much, I have been on many cruises and have never seen this before, finally we made it through customs and were out the door by 11:30am. I know for a fact that this is not always the case because, like i said, i have never seen this kind of mess before, but even with this madhouse, we still made it to the airport by noon.

You should have plenty of time to make a 1pm Miami flight, assuming there are no delays at disembarkation. :)

At the very worst, if you miss your flight they will put you on standby for the next flight out (which is usually no big deal for just 2 adults).

No worries :D

Thanks RjayB! :) Appreciate the response.

Hi,

If I am understanding your question.... you are on the Valor and have to get from the Miami port to the Miami airport....? If this is right, you have a LOT of time to get to the airport and not use self assist. In the FAQ on the Carnival site, it says not to book a flight before 11:35. You will be fine!!

sure enough, i opened the cabin door to see a sea of suitcases and people crammed in the halls

Hi Caribbean Dreams,

This is exactly the reason I am leery of doing self debarkation. I'm afraid in that mess of people I'd lose my kid! I can't think of a way to keep a hand free for her and still manage my luggage. ;)

Think I'm gonna have to do traditional disembarkation.

Thanks a lot for responding with your experiences. I cannot WAIT to see the Valor. :D

Hi,

If I am understanding your question.... you are on the Valor and have to get from the Miami port to the Miami airport....? If this is right, you have a LOT of time to get to the airport and not use self assist. In the FAQ on the Carnival site, it says not to book a flight before 11:35. You will be fine!!

Hi LogBook,

Yep, we just need to get from the Valor to Miami airport to catch a flight. I've never been on Carnival before and it's been a good few years since I cruised. I wasn't sure if I had enough time to get off the ship and get to the airport, go through all the security and still make my flight. :)

But if Carnival says 11:35, then I feel better already! :D

Thanks for the response!

Bobol

Slow down breathe, First of all, how are you getting back to the airport, cab? bus? Don't do self assist...You have plenty of time, relax have a nice breakfast with you DH and DD enjoy your last morning of not having to do it yourself!! :p When you color is called, go down grab a porter, tip him, let him carried your luggage out and enjoy your ride home!! Have a great Cruise!!!!

Tina

I honestly wouldn't give it another thought. I think you have more than enough time. Even if it is slow getting off the ship, you are very close to the airport. Have a great trip and don't worry about it - and don't drag all that luggage off yourselves!!!

Slow down breathe, First of all, how are you getting back to the airport, cab? bus? Don't do self assist...You have plenty of time, relax have a nice breakfast with you DH and DD enjoy your last morning of not having to do it yourself!! :p When you color is called, go down grab a porter, tip him, let him carried your luggage out and enjoy your ride home!! Have a great Cruise!!!!

Tina

Hi Tina,

We have transfers on a bus. :) My DD looooves buses, so that should be exciting for her.

Thanks for responding. Sounds like we might have enough time and that's excellent news.

Have a great weekend!

Bobol

We are also from MN and going on the Valor, but in Oct.

We have found that if you have an early flight and go to the pursers desk with your flight information, they will give you the colored tags for early off. You will have to prove the flight to them thought. The hardest thing is finding your luggage when there is a lot of it in the warehouse. We spent over a half hour searching for part of our luggage one time because they did not put it all in the same color area.

Self service would be impossible with a small child. We have an 11:40 flight home and will have to do that, we are going to pack as light as we can and hope the stairwells and elevators are not blocked with people waiting to leave.

We are also from MN and going on the Valor, but in Oct.

We have found that if you have an early flight and go to the pursers desk with your flight information, they will give you the colored tags for early off. You will have to prove the flight to them thought. The hardest thing is finding your luggage when there is a lot of it in the warehouse. We spent over a half hour searching for part of our luggage one time because they did not put it all in the same color area.

Self service would be impossible with a small child. We have an 11:40 flight home and will have to do that, we are going to pack as light as we can and hope the stairwells and elevators are not blocked with people waiting to leave.

Hi BabyPom,

Cool, another Minnesotan! :D I'm totally psyched cuz the Vikings are playing the first Monday we're on the ship. Not sure if I will be able to catch it in a sports bar or something, but we're all packing our jerseys just in case. :)

Thanks for your advice re: self assist and earlier flights. Good info!

Have a great weekend,

Bobol

Archived