First time cruiser/first time poster

shutterbug74

Hola all!! A friend and I are taking our first cruise (technically he cruised as a kid but we aren't counting that lol) and we are looking for pointers. We have researching our behinds off and there is SO much info out there. I personally have spent the majority of my time here at this site and found a lot of the info here to be helpful.

That being said...does anybody have any advice specifically for first time cruiser as well as first time visitors visiting the San Jaun/St Thomas & Tortola areas? We kinda got the idea to stick with others in San Juan and to not let the boogey man get us after dark....but anything else?

H

P.S. With my being a photography buff...whats the thoughts on great photo spots? Do they let ya carry tripods on board or are they having fits over that?

Good first cruise. Legend is a great ship. Good food, good entertainment, good everything. We're already booked for July, 2007--that will be 3 years in a row on the Legend.

My friends from PR say the best place to go is the rainforest excursion--if you're fit. Photo ops there should be first class.

STT is our shopping port. Liquor, cigs, jewelry, etc at Havensight mall where you dock or into CA by cab. Idea about going up the tram for photo ops is great.

Tortola has some great adventures over the hills, but I can't get DW to go with me. Rent a jeep; go exploring. Photo ops should be good. Also sailing out of Tortola is really beautiful. The BVI's are like paradise.

Go with the flow; don't miss the production shows in the theater. You should have a blast.

Welcome to the boards. Lucky for you that you found it before instead of after your 1st cruise. Read up as much as possible on all the ports to make a good decision as to what to do. Go to the port of call boards for each port to get great info. In ST Thomas, we did the $25 Godfrey tour, 2 hours shopping, 2 hour tour, and 2 hours at a beach. Great deal. Next year we are going to St John. Also, there is a forum for 1st time cruisers where you can get a lot of useful info. Are you flying or driving? Try to go in a day early to avoid any stress. You will love cruising!!!

....P.S. With my being a photography buff...whats the thoughts on great photo spots? Do they let ya carry tripods on board or are they having fits over that?

Anywhere on a cruise is a great photo spot. A tripod can be a bulky, heavy piece of equipment and a real pain to drag around but worth every ounce. If you don't take it you will regret that choice.

Atlantis:

atlantis.jpg

Thanks for the advice so far. My tripod is pretty light. Well one of them is. I plan to take the cheap one I have for the soul purpose of avoiding something heavy and bulky to carry around. The camera can be a pain as it is. But I am one who does not buy a bunch of souveniers....my photos serve as such. So I take tons and the little bit of trouble I go through carrying the camera and so forth around is well worth it.

We are close enough that we are driving to the cruise line directly. But we decided today we are still gonna go up a day early just to avoid ANY potential problems. We set sail at 4, I believe it said we can board at 2 and we plan to be there by noon I think was the plan we discussed. Its 6 am and I just got back in from a long road trip...I think these details are accurate...lol I'll confirm and get back with you for further advice. ;)

I take a light weight tri-pod with me. It colapses to about 12 inches and can extend to @ 3.5 - 4 feet. Fits in the luggage nicely.

Next, I was told this buy expeienced cruisers on my 1st cruise. Keep your stomach full to avoid sea sickness. I't worked for me on all 4 cruises.

In ST Thomas, we did the $25 Godfrey tour, 2 hours shopping, 2 hour tour, and 2 hours at a beach.
We did the Godfrey tour in St.Thomas on our first cruise from the Triumph and it was FANTASTIC......http://www.godfreytoursvi.com/ ........I'd do it again in a heart beat........he offers you a choice of beaches....we went to Coki Beach........INCREDIBLE(great beach, water, drinks, parasail, jet ski).........and part of his driving tour takes you to the highest point on the island for an incredible view of Meagan's Bay(higher point than the sky car excursion).

I would book Godfreys, go to Coki and not regret my decision to do the same thing again.....it was 25.00/person for the whole day.

In San Juan, there are great photo ops while visiting the forts and then walking down through Old San Juan. There's a plaza where the pigeons will land on your arms to eat out of your hand.

When I first arrive on St Thomas I immediately grab a taxi to Red Hook to ferry over to St John. ($3/20 min) Two-thirds of the island is National Park with very little developement. Trunk Bay is pure paradise. Pristine comes to mind. Ask the driver to stop at the top of the hill just before Trunk Bay to take pics. Just gorgeous.

http://www.usvi.net/usvi/stj.html

http://www.usvi.net/usvi/ferry.htm

Archived