Anyone Sail Royal Carribean Solo?

gxchan

I'm looking at a 14-night Panama canal cruise for next year and Royal Carribean has one that would work well for me--I could even get a balcony!! I've never sailed on RC and would go in the Fall after school starts. The ship is the Serenade. Anyone solo on RC, particularly on the Serenade? Any/all input would be appreciated.

I was on the Sovereign of the Seas a coupla months ago. Enjoyed it almost as much as my Carnival cruises. The only other RCCL cruise I took was 'way long ago on the Song of Norway. I enjoyed the entertainment on the Sovereign; crew and staff were friendly. Food not as good as Carnival, IMO, and my OV cabin was smaller than on Carnival....but....it was a relaxing cruise, and that's why I cruise. I'm not putting RCCL down - I enjoy ALL my cruises!:)

I've cruised solo twice on Royal Caribbean and both were amazing vacations, including once on Brilliance of the Seas (Serenade's sister) to the Panama Canal. I sailed on the Serenade a week after that. The Serenade is a beautiful ship, with tons of varying things to do, plus the Panama Canal experience is amazing.

Here's a link to where I posted Live from the Brilliance if you are interested. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=299889

I'm looking at a 14-night Panama canal cruise for next year and Royal Carribean has one that would work well for me--I could even get a balcony!! I've never sailed on RC and would go in the Fall after school starts. The ship is the Serenade. Anyone solo on RC, particularly on the Serenade? Any/all input would be appreciated.
I was solo on the RC Splendour in April of 2000,it was my best cruise yet out of 12 so far.I loved every minute of it.I met wonderful people whom I still keep in contact with.Terrific food and excellent service.I was tearful at disembarking.I hope this was helpful.

Thanks for your feedback, it sounds like RC will work well for me.

WRP96, would you share a bit about your Panama cruise? How were the excursions? Any one in particular you would recommend? etc.

Thanks,

Thanks for your feedback, it sounds like RC will work well for me.

WRP96, would you share a bit about your Panama cruise? How were the excursions? Any one in particular you would recommend? etc.

Thanks,

If you go to the very end of the thread I referenced above, I have my review from that cruise posted. Mine was only a partial transit, and it looks like you are considering a full transit so some things will be different but it will give you some ideas.

wrp96.

First congrats on taking the bar; and second, congrats (I assume) on passing it! I hope you enjoy the practice of law. I've been in law for 26 years and still find a surprise or two around the bends and turns.

Thanks for your review of the Panama cruise. Obviously, you had a great time--heck, I felt like I was there with you! I always enjoy myself on vacation and your review of RC makes it sound like my kind of place, friendly people, fun stuff, good cheer. Did you ever figure out what happened to your dining table mates? I liked the idea of moving the chiar hogs stuff around, maybe I'll give that a whirl next time. One question: what does POD mean? I can't keep up with all these things.

Happy Sailings!

wrp96.

First congrats on taking the bar; and second, congrats (I assume) on passing it! I hope you enjoy the practice of law. I've been in law for 26 years and still find a surprise or two around the bends and turns.

Thanks, but I didn't pass it that time. I find out next week whether I finally passed it. I'm really looking forward to being a lawyer though due to the fact that there is always a surprise with it.

Thanks for your review of the Panama cruise. Obviously, you had a great time--heck, I felt like I was there with you! I always enjoy myself on vacation and your review of RC makes it sound like my kind of place, friendly people, fun stuff, good cheer. Did you ever figure out what happened to your dining table mates? I liked the idea of moving the chiar hogs stuff around, maybe I'll give that a whirl next time. One question: what does POD mean? I can't keep up with all these things.

Happy Sailings!

POD - I probably meant PWD, or posting while drunk.

I never did find out what happened to my tablemates. But the people I ended up eating with were so wonderful that I didn't miss them. I definitely would've been down talking to the maitre'd if they hadn't invited me to join them. You know, there are plenty of alternatives on the ship so they could've been at one of the specialty restaurants each night or in the Windjammer or enjoying room service, who knows?

What I really like about RCCL is that there is always some fun activity going on - but you don't have to participate in it. When I wanted fun and activities I could find it easily, but when I wanted to be quiet and just relax and read a book, I had plenty of choices of places to go on the ship. I like the fact that everyone I've met on their cruises seems to have a good time, from young children I've shared a lunch table with, to an elderly British lady on my first solo cruise who convinced me I had to go on Brilliance one of these days - and she was right.

Wrona,

What about the gyms on RC. I'm a gym rat (there 6x a week) and found the gym on the only other cruise I've been on so far (NCL Dream) to be very small, stuffy and not well equipped. The gym on NCL's Majesty (sailing this October) isn't much better from what I've read. I'm taking a stability ball, resistance bands and know there will be treadmills but I use free weights and need floor space.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you re the bar. Let me know how it turns out.

Well, I very rarely make it to the gyms on the ships. However, on the Radiance class the gym is up on deck 12, all the way forward, right above the spa. There are tons of windows with views and when I walked through I remember seeing a lot of variety of equipment.

Gxchan,

I think you will find the gym's much better on RCCL than the NCL Dream. Basically the newer/larger ships have much better gyms with more equipment. I went on the NCL Wind (sister to the Dream) and the gym was perhaps the smallest one I can remember in a while. So just remember that the newer RCCL ships have better gyms but also remember they can get crowded because of all the people. BTW, if you are a NCL fan I am sure their newer ships also have nice gyms.

Wrona, You crack me up! I plan to follow your "bar exam" on my next cruise; unfortunately, I do have to work out, as well, so I'll have to make due with what is there.

Snowbird1, I'm so new to cruising and both times (including the upcoming October cruise) on smaller/older ships, I never really think about the newer/bigger ones. Honestly, the newer/bigger ships kind of intimidate me, I think I'll be lost in all those people and activities! But I'm biting the bullet and going on the Serenade next year. I'm glad to hear the newer/bigger ships have bigger/better gyms, working out is very important to me and at my age necessary! LOL.

On a side note, I've decided the October cruise will be my last with NCL. While I LOVED the Dream and expect to LOVE the Majesty, NCL's corporate customer service is so bad I just don't want to deal with it. A vacation should be relaxed and fun and I think the planning/booking process should be, too. That isn't a rant against NCL, just a personal choice. Their on-board service was exceptional on the Dream and I expect it will be on the Majesty, as well.

Although RC doesn't have free style dining, from what Wrona has said I should be able to find a place for the occasional meal on my own--I'm a bit odd that way, I actually like dining solo sometimes. And everything else I've heard/read about RC sounds so great I've already put a deposit on next October's Serenade Panama cruise! WOO HOO!

Thanks all for the help!

The Serenade (the whole Radiance class) has the most options for eating IMO of any RCCL ship, other than maybe the Freedom of the Seas. I especially love the SeaView Cafe since it has tables where you sit down and are served, just like any cafe, and everything is made to order, but it is still a casual place.

What I really like about RCCL is that there is always some fun activity going on - but you don't have to participate in it. When I wanted fun and activities I could find it easily, but when I wanted to be quiet and just relax and read a book, I had plenty of choices of places to go on the ship. I like the fact that everyone I've met on their cruises seems to have a good time,.

:D You just described any cruise on any cruiseline on any ship at any time. Great, isn't it?

Hello again gexchan,

Just wanted to put my two cents in on the serenade.

I sailon her solo last Feb/March, and had a GREAT time.

The Serenade is a beautiful ship, with lots of glass rather than solid walls which gives it a very open & airy feel. Take a moment to check out the lighting on this ship. There are some very unique chandeliers, and lighting fixtures just about everywhere. Also some very unique pieces of art in-cased in glass in the stairwells, and throughout the ship.

The discoteque located up in the crow's nest is a very lively place to hang out after dinner. It has a round bar, and the bar stools actually rotate very slowly around the bar. (be sure to notice who you're sitting next to before you get up to go to the restroom, or out to dance as your barstool & drink may be on the other side of the room when you come back. This room also has large windows overlooking the main pool area which is very picturesque at night when it's all lit up.

The SKY BAR was one of my favorite places to hang out on sea days. It was so relaxing to have cold beverages served to you while overlooking the activities going on 1 deck below at the pool, and watching the world go by while soaking up the warm caribbean sun:-)

There were usually a lot of activities going on at the main pool as well as a lively reggee band entertaining guests there too. But if you're looking for a quiet place to relax, be sure to check out the indoor pool. It's absolutely gorgeous and has lounge chairs with the very thick/comfy cushions perfect for relaxing with a book, or even taking a short nap.

In my opinion, I thought the food on RC was comparable, if not a little better than on most Carnival ships.

The Lido deck buffet on the serenade gets very crowded at lunch time, as on most other ships. (tip:) I found a very nice little deli (hidden away up on deck 9 or 10 aft) that served delicious deli styl sandwhiches & salads. They had cafe' style seating available just outside their entrance and will bring your food to you at your table when it's ready. The name of this restaurant escapes me at the moment, but if I think of it, or find it in my RCCI brochure, I'll post it here. It was a GREAT alternative for an alfresco lunch:-)

Enbarkation on the Serenade was a breeze! It couldn't have been 30 minutes from the time I arrived at the pier until I was onboard at the Sky Bar enjoying my first Mango-Tango:-)

All in all I would say that the serenade is a very classy/upscale ship, easy to navigate, and has great food & service. I will most definitely sail her again.

Sorry, I didn't make it to the gym on this cruise (was too busy having "fun"), hopefully someone else will be able to answer your questions regarding that subject.

I hope this info will be of help to you on your upcoming cruise.

Enjoy!

Annie

The Lido deck buffet on the serenade gets very crowded at lunch time, as on most other ships. (tip:) I found a very nice little deli (hidden away up on deck 9 or 10 aft) that served delicious deli styl sandwhiches & salads. They had cafe' style seating available just outside their entrance and will bring your food to you at your table when it's ready. The name of this restaurant escapes me at the moment, but if I think of it, or find it in my RCCI brochure, I'll post it here. It was a GREAT alternative for an alfresco lunch:-)

Annie, the little cafe is the Sea View Cafe on deck 12. I was on the Serenade with a friend only 5 days after I got off the Brilliance. I absolutely loved both ships - that class of ships is absolutely gorgeous and my favorite.

Oh, and for fun on the Serenade, make sure to check out the cows on deck 13.

Annie, Thanks for the great review! I can't believe how jazzed I am about going on the Serenade! Too bad it is a bit more than a year away. Oh well, I do have my 12-night Bermuda/Caribbean cruise this October to tie me over. :D

I must be a little slow because I missed this the first time around. Cows??? Care to share? :)

Just a random thing to go search for on Serenade. If you go up to deck 13 (the Viking Crown Lounge) behind the glass elevators there is a ledge where they have some cows. They're wackily painted, but because they are behind glass you can't take a picture of them. So when you say something about the Cows on deck 13, people who don't know about them sort of go, HUH? because you can't show them a picture of what you mean.

wrp96, yup, you're right. The name of the deli restaurant on deck 12 is the SEAVIEW CAFE'. (A great alternative to the Lido deck buffet:-). Thanks for jogging my memory.

Annie

Yeah, we made a habit on our Serenade cruise of going there for an afternoon snack - after we'd had our afternoon naps in the Thermal Suite. I preferred the menu in the Seaview Cafe (sandwiches, soups, salads, appetizers, etc) on Serenade so much more than the one on the Brilliance (pizza, pasta, paninis).

Hey y'all, I've booked solo on Grandeur of the Seas for its 11/25/2007 Baltimore-Tampa repo. Any RCI solo cruisers are welcome! And by the way, we already have a strong roll call going, so you know there will be lots of cool folks on board (if I may say so myself!) ;)

- Paul

Hi, I will be taking my 6th RCCL cruise solo on 9/22/06 on the EOS and I had a great time on all of them. I've taking 14 cruises most solo and I've yet to have a bad experience....some better then others,met great people and even fell in love a few times....maybe I fell in lust more often then love...but I had fun. Anybody going on the 9/22/06 EOS? If so let me know. Willie

Hi, I will be taking my 6th RCCL cruise solo on 9/22/06 on the EOS and I had a great time on all of them. I've taking 14 cruises most solo and I've yet to have a bad experience....some better then others,met great people and even fell in love a few times....maybe I fell in lust more often then love...but I had fun. Anybody going on the 9/22/06 EOS? If so let me know. Willie

Willie,

Love your attitude!!

Thanks for the positive attitude critique...I try hard...Life is not a dress rehearsal I must live each day like it is my last...One day I will be right.I found that having a good day is a matter of choice...so today I choose to have a great day. It sounds like you enjoy life also. Have a good one. Willie

Archived