Safelt of portable Scooters

Maryutah

My mother does not use any devices for assisting her to walk - but she has limited range with walking, and has a breathing issue.

We were looking at the portable scooters as an option for her, but when she called a local place to get more information on the PRIDE scooter they indicated they didn't carry them anymore, due to safety issues with them.

I have searched and can't find any thing published about safety issues.

Of course now my mother is against using these, based on this comment from this store.

Anyone have any issues with safety?

My mother is in her 60's, she's a large lady (tall and weight wise), as a point of reference.

Thanks - this board has been so helpful in helping plan our cruise, she's never been on a cruise, and I want this to be a great experience for her!

My hubby has two portable scooters, one being a Pride Rally and he loves it. He is also a large man and has no problem with safety on this scooter. Have no clue what this saleperson was talking about as I called Pride customer service and they said they were not aware of any safety issues with their scooters. The Rally is very stable and has a weight limit, I believe, up to 350#. It is easy to charge with an on-board system and breaks down into 4 pieces to load into a trunk, van or whatever. He also has a Heartline Comet and likes it as well, but we have had a few mechanical issues with it. It is our feeling that you can't beat the Pride line of scooters. Assure your mother that she will be safe and comfortable and it's amazing how much more fun she will have when she can be more ambulatory. Hubby uses a cane inside the house, but cannot walk more than a few yards so the scooter is a blessing to us. Allows us to do lots of things we couldn't before.

My wife has a brand new Pride Revo, and says it's the most liberating thing to happen to her since she broke her neck a in April 06. Don't know of any safety issues with them, except for common sense safe operation. We bought her's from http://www.spinlife.com. They offer many different scooters for sale, many at a significant discount. Shipping is also free, and there is no sales tax.

My mother has the Pride Go-Go which we bought just for flying/cruising. It is light-weight, but plenty durable. We have had no safety issues at all. I would only mention (and this is common sense) to pay attention to the angle of any ramps you encounter, the ones in Cozumel are steep. We bought ours from Spinlife as well and saved quite a bit. Their customer service is fantastic.

Hi Mary,

I have the Pride Go-Go which is about as small a scooter as Pride makes. I've used it for nearly 3 years and 3 cruises (a 4th coming in December) and can assure you there has never been a safety issue with this scooter.

It fits well in most standard cabins as it is narrow enough to go through the doors. On some cruise lines there is plenty of room in a regular balcony cabin and on others night time storage makes the room a little tight, but it is doable. One ship, I chose to back into the room as it was impossible to turn the scooter around once inside.

The freedom it gives me to be able to be independent and move about readily is just wonderful. Please let me know if you would like more information. When is your trip? It would be great if you could rent one for just a day or two so she could try it out before your cruise.

IrisF

Yes, get her to rent a travel scooter. Tell the sales person which one she is interested in and rent that for 48 hours to a week. She can go to a mall for a test run. I use both a travel scooter and a larger model.

I think the sales rep was trying to up sale and getting her to buy a bigger model that costs more. My first sales rep tried this to until I showed him I already had a big one. Then I went to the next booth and bought the model that I wanted with him trying to get me to buy his. He even lowered the price after this. I bought the exact model that I had asked him about.

Archived