Summit Front Of Ship?

lorenna

I booked room 9059 in Summit for 11/29/06, 14 nights Panama Canal from San Juan, PR to Los Angeles, CA. Is an interior room for my mother and my mother in law. Two questions:

Does anybody knows to wich side the entrance door to the room is? (east or west of the ship, facing north)

Do you know if there is a lot of motion for being in the front part of the ship?

Okay, another one: I'm undecided between 9026 or 9039, they have a balcony and will used by my DH, 3yr old daughter and me. The first one is land side, but is a little ahead in relation to the second one. However, the other one is sea side. Both have an extended roof in the balcony which worry me a little. Any opinions?

Thank you, any comments will be truly appreciated.

I booked room 9059 in Summit for 11/29/06, 14 nights Panama Canal from San Juan, PR to Los Angeles, CA. Is an interior room for my mother and my mother in law. Two questions:

Does anybody knows to wich side the entrance door to the room is? (east or west of the ship, facing north)

Do you know if there is a lot of motion for being in the front part of the ship?

Okay, another one: I'm undecided between 9026 or 9039, they have a balcony and will used by my DH, 3yr old daughter and me. The first one is land side, but is a little ahead in relation to the second one. However, the other one is sea side. Both have an extended roof in the balcony which worry me a little. Any opinions?

Thank you, any comments will be truly appreciated.

Quick note on nautical terms: When you are facing forward (towards the front of the ship) the left hand side is port and the right hand side is starboard. (I use the fact that there are four letters in left and port to remember which is which, other people have other methods). The back of the ship is the stern and when facing it you are facing aft.

The cabins with the least amount of motion are those in the middle of the ship (midship) on the lower decks. The most motion is felt in the cabins on the upper decks, forward or aft. So you will probably notice some motion where your cabins are located. You would be better off more towards the center of the ship and down lower.

For your cruise, I would guess that starboard side cabins will give you a view of the Mexican coast as you sail up the Pacific, but port side cabins may give you a better view earlier in the sail. You may want to post that question on the Panama Canal Ports board to see what side is best for views of the Canal.

Most cabins with odd numbers open on the port side hallway; even numbered cabins open on the starboard hallway. Not sure why you are concerned about the extended roof. It will block some of the sun which could be a good thing considering that Panama tends to be hot and humid. A lower deck might be a good idea for you though.

Have a great time, wherever you end up!

Susan

thank u susan...

i know very little about nautical terms...Update: 8174 (aft) for mothers and 8144 (starboard) for DH, DD and DM...

there's still time and as long as there are no charges, i might change my mind...:cool:

thank u susan...

i know very little about nautical terms...Update: 8174 (aft) for mothers and 8144 (starboard) for DH, DD and DM...

there's still time and as long as there are no charges, i might change my mind...:cool:

Lorenna,

I hope you don't think that I was making fun of your lack of knowledge. I really wasn't, I just thought it might be easier for you to understand answers with a key to the terms. After all, I had to learn them the first time too (I was lucky though, my husband is a Marine and taught me the basics long ago.)

And, you might want to talk to your travel agent if you are unsure about the locations.

Susan

Quick note on nautical terms: When you are facing forward (towards the front of the ship) the left hand side is port and the right hand side is starboard. (I use the fact that there are four letters in left and port to remember which is which, other people have other methods). The back of the ship is the stern and when facing it you are facing aft.

Susan

I also appreciate the memory trick . Thank you !!

Nadine

Lorenna,

You must be on the same cruise as we are. You wrote 11/29 but I am sure you mend to write 11/25. did you join our roll call????

We were on Summit this spring and had an aft cabin on deck 8. There is always a lot of talk about motion of the ships on this board, so we paid extra attention to that while we were sailing from Los Angeles to Hawaii and back.

What we found was that the motion was worse from midship to the front of the ship and we did not think there was much difference in motion from midship all the way aft. I would prefer the cabin numbers you have now on deck 8 over the ones you had on deck 9.

We will be all the way aft again on this trip on deck 7.

Astrid

Susan: on the contrary, i'm very greatful, i love to learn new things...

Astrid: sorry for the mistatement, you are right is 11/25 (i'm very excited about this trip)...I haven't join the roll call yet but I will, probably today...thank you for the info about deck 8 and aft cabins...i spent the whole weekend deciding wich ones were the betters, you know reading all the info available in the boards...now i might sleep better...

Is the SJ in your name for San Juan?

Archived