The plot thickens on bringing wine onboard

sonomaphil

WE can speculate till the cows come home about which contract, cruise personalizer, brochure, on line or whatever states about how much wine, spirits, champagne can/should/could be brought on board. It is a hotly contested topic on these boards. But never has anyone ever said that they had their wine ripped out of their carryon bags and tossed in the garbage never to be seen again. Every one says there is a corkage fee but I've never been charged it and have yet to see a poster say that they have either.

It is almost as if this is an urban myth. I have heard of duty free liquor purchased at ports along the cruise being 'held' until the end of the cruise but never have I heard of someone bringing wine from home to enjoy on the cruise having it confiscated.

Enough already...buy your wine, bring it on board and enjoy. Don't worry, be happy. I know I will on my next cruise coming up in 3 wks!

Hi there Neighbour!

We have only been on P & O ships so looking forward to something a bit classier! Can you give me any Aussie tips on tipping. Haven't been to the US so not sure on the right way to go about things! What ships have you been on?

Dorinda

I too have only been on PO cruise (20 years ago), so sorry I am a Princess cruise Virgin. Our cruise is not until 2008 Sydney-LA. The only things I know about tipping are what I have read on these boards. We are spending 2 extra weeks in LA and Vegas after cruise, so I will have to learn fast. :D I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

PS where are you cruising to?

Linda

.... Every one says there is a corkage fee but I've never been charged it and have yet to see a poster say that they have either.

....Enough already...buy your wine, bring it on board and enjoy. Don't worry, be happy. I know I will on my next cruise coming up in 3 wks!

I have always been fortunate enough to be asked to pay the corkage fee on Princess. Sometimes the fee was waived when the waiter was reminded how many bottles we had been purchasing during the cruise.

We are going on the Sappire Princess out of Singapore on Dec 23rd do Bankok, Vietnam, Malaysia, Darwin, Whitsundays, Cairns, Brisbane and finish in Sydney for 19 days. I'm so exited carn't wait. Looks like I will be able to give you tips as your going later!

We are going on the Sappire Princess out of Singapore on Dec 23rd do Bankok, Vietnam, Malaysia, Darwin, Whitsundays, Cairns, Brisbane and finish in Sydney for 19 days. I'm so exited carn't wait. Looks like I will be able to give you tips as your going later!

Your itinerary sounds great, I'm sure you will have a ball, and I look forward to hearing how your cruise goes.:D You don't have nearly as long to wait, we still have 20 months:(

just returnbed from island princess-actually in vancouver airport waiting flight home-- no problem bringing wine on board-- no fee if you open it in your room and drink it there or on your varanda-- they charge a $15 corkage fee if you bring it to the dining room-- doesn't pay!! if you need to drink it with dinner buy a package!!

Thanks for the info. I'll be traveling on the Island in Oct. Do you by chance know the price and packages offered on Princess? Is it better to pre-order the wine before I sail or purchase a package on board. Princess does not show the package prices on their web site. Thanks again, Barb

Just received our pre-cruise documents for our Nov. Diamond cruise and was looking forward to buying some California wine before getting onboard. Is there a limit on how much wine we may take onboard?? In our cruise documents it just says wine & champage. Also, in the contract, it says the corkage fee is $10; not $15. I also didn't find any "wine packages", just separately purchased bottles. Anyone know where we find the package info. Also, are there corkscrews in the cabins? Any help would be appreciated.

Just received our pre-cruise documents for our Nov. Diamond cruise and was looking forward to buying some California wine before getting onboard. Is there a limit on how much wine we may take onboard?? In our cruise documents it just says wine & champage. Also, in the contract, it says the corkage fee is $10; not $15. I also didn't find any "wine packages", just separately purchased bottles. Anyone know where we find the package info. Also, are there corkscrews in the cabins? Any help would be appreciated.

Linda, I do know if you pre-order the wine you do not pay the 15% gratuity so that's why I'm also interested in the package prices so I can compare. Barb :rolleyes:

BarbaraP, Your cruise in Oct??? When?? We will be going on the Island to Hawaii Oct 21st. If that is when you will be going, come join our roll call.

Pamssanity, We also were wondering how many bottles of wine we could bring on board. This will be a 15 day cruise that we will be going on and we like to have a drink before dinner on the balcony. Not that interested in a drink at dinner so the corkage fee doesn't really bother us. During the day, like the fru-fru drink of the day around the pool..

Aloha, Pam

BarbaraP, Your cruise in Oct??? When?? We will be going on the Island to Hawaii Oct 21st. If that is when you will be going, come join our roll call.

Pamssanity, We also were wondering how many bottles of wine we could bring on board. This will be a 15 day cruise that we will be going on and we like to have a drink before dinner on the balcony. Not that interested in a drink at dinner so the corkage fee doesn't really bother us. During the day, like the fru-fru drink of the day around the pool..

Aloha, Pam

Pam, We will be on the Oct.6th cruise. I plan to bring 2 - 3 liter boxes of wine for our room and either pre-order or get a package on board. I love the Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc they have on the wine list but including gratuity it's a little pricey for me on a 15 day cruise!!! I'm a cheap WINO!!

;) Barb

Barbara,

Sorry, to hear that you will not be on the same Hawaiian cruise as we will be but am jealous that you get to go sooner. We'll be on the docks waiting for your return. We are staying in San Pedro the night before.

As for wine.... we ordered a few bottles off the list Princess has. Hope they are good. We are also hoping to bring some of our own. Don't laugh, we have found that Trader Joe's Charles Shaw Cabernet is quite good, with a great "oaky" taste. I don't feel the price necessarily means good wine!! :)

I too have only been on PO cruise (20 years ago), so sorry I am a Princess cruise Virgin. Our cruise is not until 2008 Sydney-LA. The only things I know about tipping are what I have read on these boards. We are spending 2 extra weeks in LA and Vegas after cruise, so I will have to learn fast. :D I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

PS where are you cruising to?

Linda

Linda - we too are on the 2008 Sydney - LA. There is already a lively roll call - come on and join us. There are a few Aussies posting there, including a lovely couple called Ray & Mirella from Melbourne.

We enjoyed the Sydney - San Francisco cruise this year on the Diamond Princess, can hardly wait to go back. We are hoping the wine policy is more clear by the time we leave. Last trip was 28 days - we had 2 dozen bottles delivered to the hotel in Sydney, and took them all on board. Had to re-stock in Honolulu, we had run out :o

We were charged the $10 corkage each time we took a bottle into the dining room, but on our wedding anniversary the Maitre D' helped us organise a dinner for 46 Cruise Critic friends in the Savoy Dining room. Mick (DH) explained he wanted to put a bottle of our wine on each table, so they very kindly waived the corkage fee that night.:)

Happy cruising

Hilary & Mick

The problem with the contract is that it is old. My contract that I received for my upcoming October cruise was revised October 2005. The contract that you can download on princess.com was revised January 2006.

Here is the last paragraph of the contract.

Nothing contained in this Passage Contract shall limit or deprive Carrier of the benefit of the applicable statutes or laws of the United States of America or any other country or any international conventions providing for release from or limitation

of liability. This Passage Contract constitutes the entire understanding and agreement between You and Carrier and supersedes any prior oral, or implied or other agreements between You and Carrier and this Passage Contract can only be modified by a writing signed by Carrier. You may not sell, assign or transfer the Passage Ticket, and no other person may use the Passage Ticket. Any portion or provision of this Passage Contract which is invalid, illegal or unenforceable shall be ineffective only to the extent of such invalidity, illegality or unenforceability without affecting in any way the remaining

provisions of the Passage Contract which shall remain in full force and effect.

Wondering if that means that Princess can modify the contract at anytime by amending a paragraph or two whenever they wish with no input on concurrance by the passenger.

Yup! That's just what it means. They don't need/want or ask for input from the passenger.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'contract'. Having booked in the UK our contract appears to be the one in Princess Cruise brochure which does not appear to make any mention of alcohol. Do you receive a separate contract with your tickets (we have not)?

With your document package, you will receive the usual items and a copy of the current passenger contract and the terms and conditions. It is there, small print....look everything over carefully.

Linda - we too are on the 2008 Sydney - LA. There is already a lively roll call - come on and join us. There are a few Aussies posting there, including a lovely couple called Ray & Mirella from Melbourne.

We enjoyed the Sydney - San Francisco cruise this year on the Diamond Princess, can hardly wait to go back. We are hoping the wine policy is more clear by the time we leave. Last trip was 28 days - we had 2 dozen bottles delivered to the hotel in Sydney, and took them all on board. Had to re-stock in Honolulu, we had run out :o

We were charged the $10 corkage each time we took a bottle into the dining room, but on our wedding anniversary the Maitre D' helped us organise a dinner for 46 Cruise Critic friends in the Savoy Dining room. Mick (DH) explained he wanted to put a bottle of our wine on each table, so they very kindly waived the corkage fee that night.:)

Happy cruising

Hilary & Mick

Thank you for your welcome, I haven't yet joined the roll call but I will soon. I have certainly gone over there to read the posts, but hav yet to join. I cannot wait for 2008:D :D

Guest garden4cook

I got off the island Princess mid july from Alaska. we took 6 bottles of wine, and 1 bottle of champaign on board -- both in our carry-on and regular luggage. No problem at all.

In addition, right after we boarded and checked into our room, our travel agent sent us 2 bottles of champaign to our room, and it was delivered by room service with 2 champaign glasses.

I think the cruise ship does not want you taking your own wine bottle to dinner, thats why they are charging a stiff corkage fee.

take all you want onboard - no problem...

Archived