Picture taking on the Explorer 9 night

Hi All,

Can someone tell me if there is a place to upload/download (what do I know) pictures I take with my digital camera onto a CD? I'm not sure if I have enough space on my memory card for a 9 long trip, and don't know if I need to buy a new card? The one I have is 256 mb.

Thanks!

If you are anything like me taking pictures that definitely will not be enough especially on a 9 night cruise. I am bringing a 2 G card and a 1 G card and I hope that is enough. I would say cards are sooooo cheap right now I definitely would not pay the crazy prices to get your pictures downloaded to a disc. It would be way cheaper to buy another card and plus you get it keep it.

Last time we cruised they wanted either $20 or $25 to burn your photos to a CD. The price of memory cards has fallen dramatically over the past few months. It would be cheaper now to buy extra memory cards that you could them reuse over and over than to pay the ship to burn CD's for you.

Hi, agree totally--it was $15 to download a card to CD on Sovereign last week. 256k won't even begin to cover your trip especially if you're like me and click several because I want to make sure eyes aren't closed, etc. My best friend and I are both avid scrapbookers, and between the both of us, we shot about 600 pics a day--had her husband, children, and my niece and 2 nephews with us and there was always so much to record. I took my laptop with us, and we downloaded both of our cards (1 gb and 2 gb) every night. Then we backed them up to our own CDs right then in case something happened to the laptop (stolen, crashed, etc.) Priceless memories you definitely don't want to lose! Yes, it might have given us more to carry taking the laptop, but it provided hours of entertainment to the kids during down times, airports, etc..they played all kinds of games.

I would highly recommend that you buy additional cards--the price has come down enormously.

I was also very pleased with the quality of the ship shots taken. They aren't cheap--but we didn't have a bad shot the entire week.

Oh, someone on the trip also says that the memory cards need to be kept away from magnets which can erase them. I don't know if that's true, but I do know that the magnet on my purse closure deactivated my seapass card--so there may be something to it. My nephew bought some high powered magnetic rocks, and I made sure I packed them far away from my memory cards.

Also, keep in mind that the airlines will hand check your film cameras if the film speed is 800+.

Have a great trip!

Something to think about... most cameras these days are 4 or 5 megapixel and they save images that are gigantic. If you are not going to print them any larger than 4x6" then find the feature in your camera that will change the image size down to 2 megapixel or a smaller size image. Experiement before you leave home to see what works. Images viewed on your PC do not need to be very big either. Set your camera up to 4 or 5 megapixels when taking special pictures that you might want to get printed 8x10 or larger. If you do this, you can fit a lot of pictures on a 1GB card.

I have started using my cameras for video capture too, so I don't have to bring a camcorder with me. That chews up card space quick, so you need multiple 1BG or 2GB cards when you do this... but by deleting the bad ones as I go I can take hundreds of pictures and dozens of 1 min video clips on 3GB of cards.... lasting over a 9 day vacation, without uploading.

I agree with the previous posters. The cost of memory cards has fallen dramatically as larger and larger ones come on the market. A 1 gig memory card can hold about 200 images at 5 megapixels each. I've seen 1 gig cards selling for under $30.

If memory becomes an issue, you can also go through your pics and delete any that obviously didn't come out the way you would have liked. I also suggest that unless you have no intention of ever enlarging you photos bigger than 4 x 6, you should shoot your pictures using the highest resolution and least compression your camera allows. It will use up more memory, but your pictures will look better if you decide to make enlargements.

Have a great time.

Oh, someone on the trip also says that the memory cards need to be kept away from magnets which can erase them. I don't know if that's true, but I do know that the magnet on my purse closure deactivated my seapass card--so there may be something to it. My nephew bought some high powered magnetic rocks, and I made sure I packed them far away from my memory cards.

This is definitely true -- it not only erases them, it wrecks the formatting on the card and renders it unusable. I had my memory card in the front pocket of my purse, which was evidently WAY too close to the magnetic clasp. Fortunately for me, DS is a computer whiz and he was able to figure out how to reformat it.

I'd recommend getting a pair of 512s instead of a 1G. I have a pair of 512s for my camera and I switch cards halfway through a longer trip. That way if something goes wrong (like getting the card too close to a magnet!), at least I haven't lost everything!

I'd recommend getting a pair of 512s instead of a 1G. I have a pair of 512s for my camera and I switch cards halfway through a longer trip. That way if something goes wrong (like getting the card too close to a magnet!), at least I haven't lost everything!

That is a great idea and wonderful advice!!

Thanks!

Archived