April Vacation Bookings

cruisegal40

I have been checking out the prices for April vacation booking. I have read on these threads about people booking further in advance. It seems to me that the prices are very high. I know they will be higher in April and I know April vacation is popular, but seems like there are no good deals to be had. Am I imagining the high prices, or just not checking in the right places?

:confused:

Depends on what you mean by a "deal" and where you're going I guess. I just booked PO Aloha the week before Easter. It was actually one of the less expensive times to go. Jan - March were anywhere from $100 to $500 more expensive for the same cabin.

I have been checking out the prices for April vacation booking. I have read on these threads about people booking further in advance. It seems to me that the prices are very high. I know they will be higher in April and I know April vacation is popular, but seems like there are no good deals to be had. Am I imagining the high prices, or just not checking in the right places?

I like to book way ahead as well, and prices often seem pretty steep when booking.......but I get the cabin I want. I keep an eye on prices (at least weekly) and specials and when I find one I've been able to get the better price (as long as it is before final payment).

don't forget the basics of business. Supply and Demand.

If the Demand is high, the supply runs low and prices stay high. Or as others have found, they run out of rooms, or at least the ones you want.

On the other hand, if you are a risk taker, you might get a bargain. You decide.

Check the pearl 4/13, we got a great deal on a mini suite, booked it back in April of this year, nine nights for less than the seven night cruise we were originally booked on. Price has gone up some but not a huge amount, I would assume it will continue to rise. Our Christmas cruise has gone up 1500.00 since we booked it.

We also got a great deal on the Pearl 4/13/07 sailing. Remember also that along with Spring Break for many schools/colleges in April that you also have Easter on 4/8/07 and that may account for what you feel are higher than usual prices.

We booked early so that we could get the exact cabin we wanted - my TA will monitor our sailing and if the prices goes down will work with NCL to bring down the cost of our sailing.

Yes, I forgot about the easter vacation. We are from the northeast and we have our vacation the same week as Patriot's Day. That is the Boston Marathon. So it is not the Easter vacation that I am worried about. The kids vacations starts on the weekend of the 14th. So that is what I have been checking out. Seems really high. But like I said, it is vacation week.

Did you check the Dawn for April 12? It's 11 days to the western caribbean. My kids will miss 3 days of school (2 days before school gets out and 1 day after school returns) I got a great deal on an Owners suite and an inside cabin. Based on the roll call I seem be all alone.

Yes, I forgot about the easter vacation. We are from the northeast and we have our vacation the same week as Patriot's Day. That is the Boston Marathon. So it is not the Easter vacation that I am worried about. The kids vacations starts on the weekend of the 14th. So that is what I have been checking out. Seems really high. But like I said, it is vacation week.

Check out the 2/18 cruise on the DAWN, the ship looks pretty full but there are still insides and a balcony cabins available. Our roll call is up over 20,000 and we have 6 months until we cruise. We would love to have you join us.:)

I will check those out. Our school system is very strict about taking the kids out of school once they hit 8th grade and up. We have always taken them out of school in the fall and taken them with us. Last two years they have had to stay home. Boo hoo for them. But I will check those out. We sometimes go RCCL and they are really high. We do like Princess too though. But can not get a quote on them. Thanks for the info. We also have to check out the flights. They can be expensive from our area too that time of the year.

I will check those out. Our school system is very strict about taking the kids out of school once they hit 8th grade and up. We have always taken them out of school in the fall and taken them with us. Last two years they have had to stay home. Boo hoo for them. But I will check those out. We sometimes go RCCL and they are really high. We do like Princess too though. But can not get a quote on them. Thanks for the info. We also have to check out the flights. They can be expensive from our area too that time of the year.

With the DAWN you can drive it, or take a bus from Boston or Providence to NY.

I'll have my daughter and her friend, both Seniors this year with us again this year. The school doesn't have a problem with them missing the 3- 4 days and just requires a paper to be written about the experience and what they learned from the travels.

Our school system has gotten really strict. Maybe since they are seniors and have been good students. I have a son just going to be a freshmen and the handbook says they can fail them for 3 or more "unexecused" abs. They include in this "unexcused" list vacations and family trips. He is an honors student, but we are paranoid about his first year. That is an idea too. Going out of NY. Have you taken a cruise in April. Wonder what the sea conditions are that time of year.

It is April vacation for the northeast. I will just have to keep checking the prices and see if they move at all. Seems really high lately though. Just thought I would check w/ the pros!

The issue here isn't specifc month or region, it's when Easter falls. Cruise line always jack up the week before and after Easter, since so many school systems tie their Spring breaks to that holiday. I've seen March cruises at higher rates than April -- when Easter falls early.

Our school system has gotten really strict. Maybe since they are seniors and have been good students. I have a son just going to be a freshmen and the handbook says they can fail them for 3 or more "unexecused" abs. They include in this "unexcused" list vacations and family trips. He is an honors student, but we are paranoid about his first year. That is an idea too. Going out of NY. Have you taken a cruise in April. Wonder what the sea conditions are that time of year.

We took the Dawn last April vacation and the seas and the weather were excellent. No problems at all.

We've cruised from Miami, San Juan, Houston and a couple times from San Pedro CA........no problems with the sea conditions. At least it isn't hurricane season. We did the DAWN in July and the conditions were very mild all but the first night when others seemed to notice the motion a bit.

I would wait a week and talk to your son's teachers and see what they have to say about it, you may find that it's really only a guide lines they put in the handbook...and that as long as the student is doing well they won't mind. We are lucky and the girls will have Patriots week off as well as one day the following week that the school is closed.

Think I may try that one. There is a NCL ship out of Miami. That leaves on the 13th. Just keep an eye on the prices. That is a 9 night on a new ship. Also keep tabs on the Dawn. That would only be 2 days out of school and the flights might be better. Just hard trying to cooridnate when we are not use to having too. Like I said, we use to just pull them out and most teachers would give them their homework. They would just do it on the plane down and back. Now the "school" committee gets to decide. Very furstrating.

Did you check the Dawn for April 12? It's 11 days to the western caribbean. My kids will miss 3 days of school (2 days before school gets out and 1 day after school returns) I got a great deal on an Owners suite and an inside cabin. Based on the roll call I seem be all alone.

That's because there's a lot of us on the 11 day 4/1 sailing.

Our school system has the same rule, although it's four absences for a quarter long course or 9 for a semester (half-year) long course. Not to mention, finals fall either right before or right after Easter break (depending on snow days used), so taking them out of school was risky. We ended up on POAloha because the Sun-Sun schedule was the only one that worked without missing school.

I would mention our rules also say that an "excused" absence can be "Home Instruction". I personally consider seeing the world and experiencing other cultures to be "Home Instruction".

It may be just an idle threat from the school system so it is not abused by others. My son does do well. He was only absent one day last year and that was to get his braces on. So I don't think it would be a big deal. Looking int the new ship leaving Miami. That seems like a good deal for 9 days. I am going to watch the on that leaves NY also on the 12th. Should be able to pull him out for one or two days. Just not tell the school ahead of time. It is "3" unexcused abs. Just very limited to what is out there I think. Not alot to choose from. I love the int. on the NCL Pride. And it is a new ship. Have to watch for specials.

:) 4/6/07 is Spring break in the northeast for most.Prices are high but its spring break.We are going western 04/07/07 on the Sun out of New Orleans.Prices are higher than last time We sailed the Sun in April.Book ahead and also your flights as they go up daily,as i am finding out.I find April better than Feb. break for weather.Also the kids are out a day earlier that week,so you can leave ealier for your port.

It seems as though they are really cracking down on this in our system. But I am going to talk with other parents that have children that have gone there for a couple of years. Not like it is a private school that I am paying. (I am but in taxes). So I would think one or two days is not going to kill it. I am just going to keep watching for a deal and see what happens. I think I am just use to cruising in the fall and getting the great prices then.

Archived