That dizzy feeling

mickym

We just returned from an Alaska cruise. It was only our second cruise and we would love to do more cruising but I have trouble with getting dizzy from the ships motion. This feeling continues for several days after returning home. Does anyone have a remody for this?

Thanks in advance!!

You've got what's known as PCD: Post Cruise Depression!!! Seriously, though, there is a medical term for what you are experiencing, I just can't remember what it's called. Many have said to take Bonine or another anti-motion sickness med for a few days and it goes away. After my last 7 day cruise on NCL's Dawn, I had PCD for about 6 weeks :eek: The first few days I couldn't walk down the hallway without holding onto the wall. Funny though, it disappeared completely after I booked another cruise!

I have found that it's worse when I don't get a whole lot of sleep during the cruise and I feel better and better the more sleep I get AFTER the cruise. Have a glass of wine, take a long, hot bubble bath and go to bed early. You'll feel a lot better in the AM (oh, and book another cruise :D)

Happy Sailing!!!

From what I've read, it's called land sickness. Just take whatever you take for seasickness, and it should clear up.

It happened to DH about 4hours after we got off our cruise. He only took one dose, and it fixed him right up. :)

It's called Mal d' Debarquement, I have it after every cruise, sometimes for weeks. It's not fun. I've found the best remedy is to continue taking Dramamine at night for about a week.

It's worst in the shower, I have to hang onto the wall :eek: .

Thank you so much everyone and as soon as my bank acount allows I will be booking that next cruise. Sounds like a good cure to me and yes, I really do believe lack of sleep may be a big part of it but I just hate to miss out on anything.

I thought it might have been because of the length of the cruise, but have been on cruises since of the same length as well as longer ones with no problem. the doctor said that it might have been a side effect of the scope patch I used. Since then, I've stuck with mecclazine and not had the problem again. While suffering, the chemist prescribed Dramanine, which cleared up the problem within a matter of a couple of hours. It was good enough that that afternoon we did the Sydney Harbor Bridge Walk.

Don't know if sleep is really the culpruit, but I'm in favor of anything that advocates naps! And early bed times! Rah! Seriously, on the next cruise, scale back your activity a little and see if that helps. Avoiding landsickness is worth missing out on a little action.

Charlie

I experienced the feeling after my one and (so far) only cruise last year.

But I loved it! When it came on strong I would just stand still and let myself sway a bit...felt very much like being on the ship again (which is why I loved it), and didn't make me nauseous at all.

Odd, I know, but with me that is par for the course. :p

I have been on five cruises and I do suffer with the same symptoms, but only if we have a rough sea day. I have been on cruises and not suffered at all, but on others when it has been a bit bumpy I suffer for weeks afterwards.

After our first cruise ended and we made it back to the hotel, took a nap and then got ready for dinner, everyone thought i was nuts because i was like ohhhwoooohhhh and holding my arms out to balance as i was trying to explain that it felt like the room was moving! They thought i was losing it all afternoon UNTIL it started happening to the guys too lol! THEN they believed me! It would just pop up a few times here and there over the following few days. A feeling of the room moving as if you were walking out on the ship deck in rough water lol...(or down one of the hallways of the ship either in rough water or intoxicated lol). Anyway, my next cruise was a little longer and a much rougher ride due to some storms @ sea. It took me a couple weeks to shake it that time and it was making me a bit nautious when it happened too. I went to my doctor and asked her what the heck my problem was! She had been on several cruises and she said that it's just like when they say it takes time to get your "sea legs", well it takes others time to get their "land legs" back! I laughed and laughed and she was like..uh...ok...what the heck is so darn funny??? I said leave it to me NOT to get sea sick but to get LAND SICK lol lol!!! I have no problem with the rocky waters! I actually quite like the feeling of being on a smaller boat out in the choppy water or wave hoppin (quite funny factored in with my fear of the water and drowning lol) but I have no issues with the motion at all! Just don't make me go on dry still land LOL!

Wow....I thought I was the only one to get sick after I get home....

I have bad motion sickness and I use the patch and that works very well.

But when I return home I get sick then.....usually for days I am not functional, the last time I tried leaving the patch on for a few days longer and when I took it off I still got sick then ...it just delayed if for the few days.:(

I did try the bonine and it didn't seem to make much of a difference for me..I think it is just a matter of time when it wears off.

I would love to know a cure for that also.

Denise

at two stops I got very ill about 20 minutes after arriving in port. I was fine on the ship, but the land sickness really got to me. I take Meclazine any way for dizziness and that helped if I took about an hour before I left the ship at the next stop.

I have the same problem when coming back from a long day of recreational boating if the water is rough. I've read alot of posts about ginger. What does the ginger do for you? Is it just to calm the queasy stomach or does it help with the dizziness too?

yes ginger has some kind of claming effect on the tummy. They also recommend it for morning sickness and the general upset stomach BUT the problem is it has to be REAL ginger and the stuff around today is ginger FLAVORED. So don't think drinking ginger ale will help. Most likely it will not unless it's made from real ginger but from what i understand it used to be but mostly isn't anymore.

yes ginger has some kind of claming effect on the tummy. They also recommend it for morning sickness and the general upset stomach BUT the problem is it has to be REAL ginger and the stuff around today is ginger FLAVORED. So don't think drinking ginger ale will help. Most likely it will not unless it's made from real ginger but from what i understand it used to be but mostly isn't anymore.

The ginger tablets purchased in a health food store (the ones I use are called Gingertrips) really do work well. Also know that some folks buy the candied ginger...I don't want the extra sugar..and it also works. You can also get fresh ginger at the Sushi bars on some of the ships.

I read about this in a travel magazine many years ago the top nausea remedy recommended.

Hope this helps...

Marilyn

Archived