Help? Horseback riding in Belize w/KIDS???

sbpat

We are considering taking our three (ages 3, 7, 9) kids horseback riding when we visit Belize w/ NCL SUN in Oct. Any suggestions? Comments? Any help much appreciated. (I am quite worried about traveling in Belize with young children after all the posts I've read about safety issues.)

We are considering taking our three (ages 3, 7, 9) kids horseback riding when we visit Belize w/ NCL SUN in Oct. Any suggestions? Comments? Any help much appreciated. (I am quite worried about traveling in Belize with young children after all the posts I've read about safety issues.)

The only safety issues I am aware of are for people wandering around Belize City - not a place I would wander around without some specific goal in mind. The Port area is fine. There are plenty of excellent excursions into the countryside - some quite kid friendly. I do have some doubts about taking a 3 year old horseback riding in Belize.

The Jungle Spa Exursion in Belize offers horseback riding....

I haven't been there yet, though....to offer any comments.

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/JungleSpaBelize.htm

Hey, I have been asking the same question for about two months. we have booked with www.smugglersrunbelize.com. There have been some good reviews about the company. Hopefully they will work out well. I will post about their company when I return....(mid October)..so I don't know if this will help you or not.

we did smugglers run last March and my family would do it again if we ever go to Belize..They take really good care of you, from picking you up at the tender to dropping you off. The food is wonderful,horses are gentle and well fed,the animals at the plantation are interesting to see..The plantation is away from town, no need to worry about your safety. This is a first class operation..they make you feel like family and it isn't crowded like cruise excursions...

Jan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, just pulled up in my driveway...luggage is thrown throughout the house. Just wanted you to know that we went with smugglers run for our family horseback riding trip and it was GREAT. It is truely a first class operation all the way around. I will give a review shortly. I got to get the washer and dryer going:rolleyes:

Hi all, just pulled up in my driveway...luggage is thrown throughout the house. Just wanted you to know that we went with smugglers run for our family horseback riding trip and it was GREAT. It is truely a first class operation all the way around. I will give a review shortly. I got to get the washer and dryer going:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

It was because of this thread that I booked our recent excursion with Smuggler's Run Plantation. All I can say is ..... WOW! You guys really know how to pick them!

We were in Belize in Wednesday this past week and had made arrangements with Trevor for the horseback riding. Note: You must use the e-mail address trevor@smugglersrunplantation.com to contact him. Once I used this one, Trevor responded within hours to my e-mail.

Melanie was right at the tender pier with our name on a Smuggler's Run Plantation sign. She greeted us warmly and led us to the van. We were the only ones doing the tour that day. Melanie is a native of Belize, but went to college in the states, so she has a very good understanding of both cultures. She told us all about the sights as we went through the city and out to the Plantation. The ride was about 40 minutes. We enjoyed the commentary about the country, the roads, and how people live. When we got to the plantation, there were 4 horses all saddled up and waiting for us. Trevor and Don Pablo were there as well and matched us up to the horses we would ride. My husband is very experienced, but I am a complete novice. My girls ages 12 and 14 are a bit more experienced, and they picked out horses that were matched to our abilities. We spent the next 1 1/2 hours riding through the jungle. We were kind of loud, so didn't see a whole lot of wildlife, but Trevor, who was in the back and Don Pablo, who was in the front of our group, made up for it by telling us all about what grows there and lives there.

When we got back to the plantation area, Trevor showed us some of the animals they have there. Then we were taken back to the large thatched pergola (for lack of a better word - it was like a big hut without walls), which was nestled in some beautiful landscaping. Melanie brought out lunch, which consisted of the most delicious fresh squeezed limeade that I have ever had, jerk chicken, pickles, fried plantains, rice and beans, and finally a heavenly lime meringue pie. Trevor, Don Pablo, Melanie, and her boyfriend all sat down with us and we had interesting conversation. Melanie drove us back and showed us more parts of Belize City on the way. We were back with plenty of time to shop and catch a tender back to ship.

The whole excursion from the time we were picked up to the time we were dropped off lasted five hours and the charge was $65 including lunch.

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the Norwegian Sun last week and went horse back riding through Smugglers Run Plantation.

Last Thurs., Dec. 14, Melanie was at the dock with our name on her board.

Before arriving at their plantation, she drove around Belize City and told us about her city which we appreciated.

I would highly recommend Smugglers Run Plantation for their horse back ride, hospitality and the meal which was served. Trevor and his family even ate with us.

This excursion was one of the many highlights on our cruise.

Paiagirl

Archived