Upset with Carnival

angel22230

Any advice on how you would handle this situation? .

Yep.....let it go....sorry...but that's the best I can tell you...since you did receive what you paid for.:(

What gets me is not a soul on this thread so far are defending Carnival for the sake of defending Carnival....and I absolutely do not like it when people say we on the Carnival Baord only allow the good here:rolleyes: .....If they're wrong...they're wrong...but here they simply delivered what they promised.....I really fail to see the problem....and yes I know Angel we all have been spoiled with free upgrades but that's just what they are.....FREE upgrades so it's hard to ask to be compensated for something that is not owed.....I would say.....dang, "I didn't get a free upgrade but hey.....I'm on the ship and there is no hurricane in sight!":D ..Just put it behind you and go enjoy your next cruise!:)

I still don't understand what "non-revenue" means if you paid for the cruise...

I'd bet if you'd gotten the upgrade, the TA would have said "I managed to get you an upgrade!". But since it doesn't come through, it's the fault of those money-grubbing Carnival baddies who callously regard you as just a cash cow. :mad: (As opposed to your TA, of course who really, truly loves you as a PERSON!) :) ;)

TA was trying to help us have at least a better inside cabin on a higher level and was told that the deals we received in the past were nonrevenue and that is how they base the past guest locations on the ship. .

I still don't understand what this meant? The deals you received in the past were nonrevenue and that's how they base the past guest locations?

We booked a Guarantee balcony on the Valor and we were upgraded to 8E on the Panorama deck. Because we are past guests. Does that mean we spend way too much money:eek:

Thanks everyone, I know I will still have a good time anyway.

That's the spirit!.....besides........saw you are from McDonough, GA...and we have several CCers from there I've sailed with that are good people...I bet you are too!:D

Thanks again everyone, and yes Randy we do get spoiled with the unexpected upgrades. I guess I have and that was the problem. Thats why I came here to have everyone put it back in perspective. And rest assured evryone did!

I'm thinking that nonrevenue means that the cost of the room on that level $599pp ( big guess here) won't really cover the overhead re food, entertainment expenses, staff etc, etc. pp compared to say someone who just spent about $1199pp for the same amenities in an upper balcony room?

At any rate, an upgrade is a treat, a surprise, a gift ( you get my drift) .. not to be expected.. yes you may be disappointed but don't let it ruin your trip or blame the cruise line. I think you probably got a past guest discount or at least an onboard credit..

And like mentioned before, it won't matter what floor you are on until you get off the ship.. think of it as extra vacation time while waiting to disembark.. that's really the only huge difference on an inside.. now if we were talking balcony.. well, then higher is nice.. but inside doesn't matter.. have fun.. sheesh, think of all of us stuck at home, I'll trade you in a heartbeat. :D

I have to say that it appears that you might want to clarify what a non revenue customer is. This seems to be a sticking point for most of the readers and posters here. I am not sure what it means as well. I don't know what paying full price for the Pride has to do with getting an upgrade either. I have paid full price for most of my cruises and when I did book guarantee I didn't receive an upgrade not even one deck. It didn't make me say I will never cruise with Carnival again. I know this doesn't make your disappointment any better but like others have said look at the bright side you are going to on a cruise enjoying a vacation.

I never sailed on NCL , but my DH just did in April... (He also was non-revenue customer I guess, as he sailed in inside cabin) Since then when he is checking their prices , as a member of Lattitudes, he gets very nice discounts. It never really worked with other lines (well on Celebrity you can have 1-category upgrade for the same class inside-to-inside, ov-to-ov) but on NCL it works every time.:)

Are we done here?:eek: .......Come on......Angel vented, repented and now she wented!:D (I'm a poet).........Leave her alone!:p .......non rev means (bottomline) they were going to make more money selling her free upgrade than giving to her......normal business for ANY cruiseline.;)

Yep.....let it go....sorry...but that's the best I can tell you...since you did receive what you paid for.:(

What gets me is not a soul on this thread so far are defending Carnival for the sake of defending Carnival....and I absolutely do not like it when people say we on the Carnival Baord only allow the good here:rolleyes: .....If they're wrong...they're wrong...but here they simply delivered what they promised.....I really fail to see the problem....and yes I know Angel we all have been spoiled with free upgrades but that's just what they are.....FREE upgrades so it's hard to ask to be compensated for something that is not owed.....I would say.....dang, "I didn't get a free upgrade but hey.....I'm on the ship and there is no hurricane in sight!":D ..Just put it behind you and go enjoy your next cruise!:)

Sadly, Randy...some folks have nothing better to do than post the exact same statement on every thread. (no matter how ridiculous it is)

Thanks for pointing out the obvious....maybe "someone" will finally get it!

Thanks again everyone, and yes Randy we do get spoiled with the unexpected upgrades. I guess I have and that was the problem. Thats why I came here to have everyone put it back in perspective. And rest assured evryone did!

The good news is you are half way to Platinum and some "perks"!

I would not call you wanting the best you can get for our money as being "spoiled"...I would say it is more of an air of anticipation. And we get disappointed when what we anticipate does not happen.

Glad you are still going with the great cruise spirit.

May you have warm breezes, calm seas and many cooool drinks!!

I like paying the cheapy rates so I can take my whole family. I have found that there is NOTHING wrong with being on the lower levels.....-it is very quiet down there....-it is not a thoroughfare for people touring around and getting to the pool, shops, kids areas, etc., ...-close to the dining rooms and promenade, and gangway....- and no matter where you are on the ship you will end up taking the elevators anyway.

I think the only upgrades that really count are from a ocean view to a balcony.

Think positive...ENJOY!

Angel, glad to see that you are seeing things in a better perspective! The trouble with booking a guarantee is just that they are promising you a cabin....nothing more. From what I have read on numerous cruise boards, only a lucky few get the chance of upgrading in a guarantee. Now I have had some good upgrades when I have booked a specific cabin. Who knows how that darned upgrade fairy works!:D

And don't worry about being on a lower floor. Your cabin on deck two will be the same as the inside cabins on the other floors. Just think about the money you saved....a few more drinkies you can have!:D

Guarantee upgrades are very common... sometimes.

I sailed Valor in March and will sail Elation next month. Both 4A guarantees. On Valor, I ended up with and inside on the Lido (great location) and so far the Elation is looking like an outside on the Empress (another great location.) So I have been lucky.

But wait, there's more! I seem to always sail when there is a sale... off season or hurricane season. Kids all in school, and the ship has plenty of unsold cabins.

Anyone cruising during high season with a guarantee cabin is probably not going to have such good luck as someone sailing in the off season.

I think Carnival really does upgrade everyone it can, but when the ship is full, it can't. Nothing to get upset about. No TA should do a guarantee booking without full disclosure: book a 4A guarantee and you may end up inside on the bottom deck.

In any case, there are no bad cabins in my book!

Brenda, We have paid for all of the cruises we have cruised on. We paid for a guarantee inside and received Deck 1. TA was trying to help us have at least a better inside cabin on a higher level and was told that the deals we received in the past were nonrevenue and that is how they base the past guest locations on the ship. I dont know.....just puts a damper to think thats how they think of you.

EngIce-What can't I do here? Im just needing advice.

I am still confused by your reference to being "nonrevenue" passengers. Nonrevenue refers to free berth, free airline seat, free room, - non paying passenger. In the past, did you cruise free? Was it some sort of a promotional/credit card/prize winning thingie?

Your first sentence says you have paid for all of the cruises - therefore, you would not be "nonrevenue".

Oh well, in any case. If you bought a guarantee cabin, you get what you get. Never purchase a cabin category that you are not prepared to stay in. If you want a more desireable cabin on a better deck in a better location, you must pay for it.

That's why many of us on these boards don't do guaranteed cabins. I want to pick my own - many times I select the same cabin I had last time I cruised on that ship. I am not willing to settle for someone elses choice! Besides, I'm picky!!:p

Im not asking for a free handout. We paid for a guarantee. Maybe the ship is sold out. They could have said that instead of a nonrevenue customer. would have made me feel better.

Well, there you go....you paid for a guarantee. That means that you will get the best cabin available in the CATEGORY you purchased. It doesn't mean you will be upgraded.

I guess I kinda understand where you are coming from. I booked a suite guarentee for my cruise coming up. I was told there was a 50% chance that I would get a penthouse suite, 50% that I would get a cat 11. Well, room assignments came up and guess what, I got a cat. 11. clear at the front of the ship nonetheless. I can't say that I was angry at all, maybe just a little disappointed. Disappointed that luck wasn't in my favor. So, what did I do, I paid for an upgrade to a cat. 12 because that is what I wanted. I would say if this is going to bother you until cruise day I would just go ahead and pay for your upgrade. With my suite guarentee I got exactly what I paid for, not anymore. I wanted more so I paid for more. Have a great cruise!!

I think your "non-revenue" status is because you booked the lowest category at the lowest rate. In other words, they (Carnival AND Travel Agent) make very little money on your cabin.

Carnival may have looked at your past cruises with them and looked at how much you spent on your Sail and Sign card on these previous cruises and factored that in also.

This is all speculation on my part since I don't work for the cruise industry, but it would make perfect sense.

Another factor is when you book your cruise. If you book early on a popular route, your chances, would be better for an upgrade since Carnival would want to keep your "cheap" cabin open.

Who knows all the inner workings of the Cruise Industry.

Hope this helps...

Sue

Brenda, We have paid for all of the cruises we have cruised on. We paid for a guarantee inside and received Deck 1. TA was trying to help us have at least a better inside cabin on a higher level and was told that the deals we received in the past were nonrevenue and that is how they base the past guest locations on the ship. I dont know.....just puts a damper to think thats how they think of you.

EngIce-What can't I do here? Im just needing advice.

I have noticed that you have been on a few cruises & I'm surprised that your surprised. Everyone knows that the upgrade process is a shot in the dark. You might get one or you might not.

I can understand that they would be more likley to up grade someone that has sailed with them & has a history of purchasing higher up cats. before they would up grade someone that has a history of purchasing lower cats.

My advice to you is go & enjoy your cruise, you got what you paid for!

I've never heard the expression "Nonrevenue customer" before. Maybe thats your TA's companies term.

It is a cruise line term meaning that they either paid nothing or a minimal amount such as $35 to $50 per day. The cruise line is receiving "no revenue" (income) from the booking.

I'm sure you are aware there are different levels of guarantees? Next time you book, find out that level and book that as your guarantee. This way you won't be so disappointed. Which should fade fast once you're on a ship.

BTW, I'm equating non revenue with what we call cherry pickers in the supermarket. Those that come in a buy what's on sale and nothing more. They are unattractive to the bottom line.

I'm curious what your sail and signs are from you previous cruises.

Yes, thanks. Although, as someone pointed out before, to me, "nonrevenue" sounds like you're getting it for free (i.e. frequent flier awards on an airline). Technically, if she's paying even one cent for her cabin, it's revenue producing - it might not be PROFITABLE, but there IS revenue. Perhaps a better term would have been "minimal revenue" or "non-profit" instead of "nonrevenue".

Archived