Cozumel ferry

BillyMetz

Thanks bruce-r. Have you used the ferry? If so can you tell me your experience. The reason I ask is I am with a group that want to go to the Mayan Ruins of Tulum while in Cozumel. I read that the ferry ride can be bad if the seas are rough, especially if you are not on top. A good number in my group are susceptable to sea sickness even wearing the patch, and a few even have the added blessinig of being claustrophobic. I know the smoothness of the ride can very greatly with the weather and no one can say how it will be any particular day. So I guess I am trying to get a lot of answers to this question and go with the majority opinion.

I would say that if they are very susceptible to sea-sickness then only on the calmest days could you guarantee they'll be ok. That said, the ride only lasts 30-40 min, so it may not be too much for them to put up with.

If they're not so sensitive and only get sick in 'rough' seas then 99% of the time they'll be fine, the seas is usually calm betwen Cozumel and the mainland.

Bear in mind, during the summer months there is more chance of a north wind (El Norte) which can bring choppier seas... still not that often though.

When do you plan to visit?

If it's any help: I find sitting up top outside in the fresh air and watching the horizon helps for most people...

Ian

Hey, Billy

Yes, the Cozumel ferry is basically it to the mainland. There is an air shuttle again now but its expensive and goes to Cancun -- not where you want to go.

The ferries run hourly and they are very modern. Air conditioning, clean bathrooms, Mexico's funniest home videos or something similar playing on the tv screens. They have a bar with beer and snacks. It's very nice and takes 35 minutes each way.

Carey on Cozumel

cozumelmycozumel.com

There are 3 piers/tender areas. The one furthest away pier, Puerta Maya, is a mere one to 1.5 mile straight shot straight down the waterfront drag. Cruise ship pier to ferry to mainland pier. Piece of cake. Ferries leave on the house every hour. $12 US per person each way. This is a small island and it is difficult to get lost. Plus the taxi guys know all the ins and outs.

Carey on Cozumel

cozumelmycozumel.com

We've done this ferry several times as tourists 'tween Coz and Playa. It's a no brainer and at most times a lotta fun. No worries. Playa has a lotta great shopping, dining and beach's. Enjoy the ferry and have a great time!

Most visitors taking the ferry for the first time opt to sit upstairs and outside. this can be a beautiful trip. But if you notice windy conditions and chop on the water, you can get totally drenched up there. Its not cold or anything because the air and water or so warm. But be warned it can ruin your hairdo some days. It's a fun, easy trip, as others have said, however.

Carey on Cozumel

cozumelmycozumel.com

Archived