If you had 2 days in Maui...!?

niki1785

If you had two days in Maui what would you do? What would you tell your friends and family that they absolutely could not miss?

I want your favorite places/restaurants/tours/etc. as I will only have 2 days in Maui on the POH next September! Any tips will be helpful!

Hello there, my favorite two day itinerary would (and has) included a rental car and the road to Hana, and then on day 2 a snorkel trip to Molikini Crater.

I hope that helps a little bit! Happy cruise planning!

Only 2 days on Maui....unthinkable :D! If it did happen I would spend a morning at the beach...preferably in the Wailea area and the mid afternoon to evening in Lahaina (especially if it were a Friday). In Lahaina do the walking tour (so you will get some appreciation of the history of the Island and her people), spend some time looking in the Art Galleries and tee-shirt shops (after all that is part of a vacation), go to the show 'Ulanena in the evening (http://www.ulalena.com/)! Day 2 I would head for one of my favourite places on Maui....Upcountry! You could begin the day by driving to Haleakala's summit and then visit the many treasures of Upcountry on the way back down. Have lunch at the Kula Lodge or at Haliimaile General store, browse the interesting little shops in Makawao, visit the Tedeschi Winery at Ulupalakua Ranch. Return to the main highway via Haiku and stop for photos at Ho'okipa then have dinner at Mama's Fish House (if you're feeling flush) (http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/) or at the Fishmarket in Paia (http://www.mauimenusonline.com/restaurants/paiafish/menu.html) if you're concerned about your budget!!

I hope you fall in love with Maui! I did! Aloha!

I wouldn't do the Hana highway.

Day 1 - West Maui. Breakfast at the Gazebo at Napili Shores, snorkeling at Honolua Bay, Lunch in Whaler's Village. Sunning on Kaanapali. A nap. Evening in Lahaina - not exactly caring where I end up eating.

Day 2 - Who cares? Go with the flow, where the muse and the weather direct you. South Maui. Upcountry's neat, as is Paia. Maybe some awesome snorkeling around La Perouse. Maybe a deserted beach like Po'olenalena. Lunch maybe at Mama's. Dinner? Doesn't matter. Drink a lot of pog. Find a place for the sunset.

I know a lot of folks feel a need to do Hana or a Molokini trip. That's expected. I've been to Maui a lot, have done both of these things several times, and enjoyed them each time I've done them. But Maui is also a great place for kicking back, driving with the top or windows down, getting in the groove of the place.

I know this is controversial but we had the most fabulous day starting at Iao Valley (a MUST SEE, IMHO) and then driving the north west route around the coast, Hwy 340. Of course this is ONLY for brave drivers and do rent a small car as it is very narrow and one way in places. Also only do it on a clear sunny day. If it is rainy or foggy, skip it. The views were unbelievable and the picture opportunities are incredible! It really sticks out in my mind as one of the very best things we did in Hawaii.

We also loved Lahaina and Kaanapali beach. The Royal Lahana Luau in Kaanapali with the sun setting over the beach and the fire dance finale was the absolute highlight of our trip!

Wow, Beryl, you came up with a fabulous 2 day itinerary that I would endorse although it might be tough to squeeze in Tedeschi Winery. I think that as famous as the Road to Hana is, it takes so long you would miss out on so much else if you only had 2 days. Totally agree on the restaurants!

• 3 weeks later...

Maui Ocean Center was nice. It's worth visiting for a couple hours on your way to or from other places on the island. There's a restaurant where you can have lunch with a view of the ocean, plus other shops in the plaza next to it.

The Iao Needle was nice to see, but we didn't spend too long there. We enjoyed going to the Haleakala Crater, but that is a fairly long drive. There are also some nice luaus on the island.

Beryl did do a pretty good job. BUT here's what I would suggest.

1) Morning snorkeling at Molokini with a stop at the Turtle Station off Makena. Whale watching will be enjoyed on the way to and from Molokini in the winter months. After the snorkeling, take a car up to watch the sunset at Haleakala. Spend some time looking into the crater, going to the rangers station, bring a really warm jacket, it'll be COLD. After sunset head down to the Haliimaile General Store (it's not a store but a restaurant) for dinner. The rack of lamb was superb there. It will be quite dark heading down the mountain after dinner so drive with care.

2) Morning kayaking in Wailea off the Grand Wailea. You'll see more turtles and looking back at land will give you that Hawaiian picture in your head you'll always remember. In the afternoon, do a hike in Iao Valley. Play in the stream, look at the rain forest, inhale the nature. Go to the MAUI MALL after the hike and have some guri-guri. It's the local favorite, luckily no tourists know about this place and you will LOVE IT! We take trips to Maui JUST FOR THE GURI-GURI. You'll probably need to bathe after the hike so head back to the ship. IF you have the energy after that, Makawao in Up-Country is a nice place to spend a quiet relaxing evening.

ENJOY!

Glenn

If I may venture a slightly different tone. If your goal is to run around trying to see and do everything and anything, you will miss the real beauty of any of the Islands. To say that going up to Haleakala Crater would take too long, maybe, but if that's what you wanted to do, DO IT and savor it. If you avoid the Road to hana because it will take too long and you really wanted to do it, DO IT. You will never be able to see all that is there to see in two days, 4 days, a week. Pick a few things that you really would love to do and do them and enjoy them and forget about missing something else. Running around like a chicken without it's head is just no way to see and do Hawaii. If you enjoy being on the beach, go for it, and don't say, WOW, it's 10 after 11, we got to run to the next spot. We all want to do and see as much as possible, but at what cost, not being able to enjoy the things that you do see and do. Relax and plan a couple of things out, and if any time permits, go for something extra. Pretty soon everything ends up being a blur and you can't rememeber where you did what and when.

Giantfan13: Loud applause! My sentiments exactly.

If your goal is to run around trying to see and do everything and anything, you will miss the real beauty of any of the Islands.

Running around like a chicken without it's head is just no way to see and do Hawaii.

beachchick

I agree with this as well. Be sure to stop and smell the plumeria. :)

And I'm going to disagree with Glenn on a small note. As another local, I'll say that I personally dislike guri-guri. I know it's the big omiyage from Maui (along with the manju from Home Maid Bakery ( http://www.homemaidbakery.com/ )) but it just doesn't do it for me - bland and way too sugary-tasting. I'd rather have shave ice or ice cream, LOL Different tastes for different folks, I guess.

Spleen

• 2 months later...

My goodness... with all the craziness of Nursing school I haven't given myself the time to check my post asking what to do for 2 days in Maui. I wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied, there are soooooo many wonderful ideas that you have all replied with! Now I have to pick through each one of them to decide what I want to do most!

Thanks again everyone... and keep those ideas coming!!!!!!!!! :D

Not to hijack the thread or anything,but I wanted to wish you the best in Nursing School. I remember those days all to well. It was tough.

My little tid bit of info for Maui. Go to Molikini. It was the best thing I ever did. The snorkeling was fabulous. I was amazed. We saw so many fish, a nurse shark, turtles.

Maui Divers has a tour that leaves at about 10 and works out well with a cruise. We did it out of Kahalui,but it's doable out of Lahiana also. We had 2 port days there.

Also enjoyed a little town called Makawao. I have a freind who lives there.

Anyway that's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Merry Christmas.

Debbie - Are you an RN?? If so, wow... I never realized how difficult this program would be!

Molikini sounds amazing, I have been looking into that... is there anywhere to lounge around? I can only seem to find pictures from far away and it looks like you can only swim/snorkel? Thx!

Archived