Pride of Aloha - August 13-20, 2006

Haven't been on RCCL or Princess, but have cruised HAL and Celebrity, and saw no significant difference except the regimented dining--in terms of choice, dress, timing, and companions, where a huge advantage goes to NCL.

Food is subjective and many of us have noted the OP is new to the boards; I know, what difference does this make? To me it makes a lot of difference. If someone has been asking questions or providing ideas prior to sailing and returns with, not only bad feelings but specifics I listen, whether I agree or not: when someone pops on and blasts I get defensive. I have had clients who have cruised POA this summer and come back raving: remember POA is the first of the NCLA ships. As for NCLA and NCL yes, they are owned by the same group but very different. Will they make it in Hawaii as an American Flagged line, only time will tell and my guess is 5 more years before we know for certain.

I also noticed OP doesn't want to ever try NCL again ever though he hasn't tried her yet: well, that is why there are several lines: We have cruised all the mass marketed lines except Princess and I do agree with Hotspur is so little it isn't worth even comparing. What one line does well, another lacks and visa versa. I like the food on Celebrity better for some things, but NCL for others. We love Freestyle, the worst food we have ever had was on RCI and the largest cabins on Carnival. This doesn't mean we would never cruise any of the lines again. Bob, sorry you didn't like your cruise, it probably is best you stay away, but don't blast the line either. NMNita

I been on NCL ship,but I agree with every thing OP said.Why would you go on RCCL or Princess?Try them and will see the difference.I am not bushing NCL if you like them so much very good,thats why we have so many lines everyone can find what he loves.Only one thing I dont understand why US crew service should be any different from internatioanl crew?they get paid money they should work proper like all of us on our jobs

From what I've read NCLA has really only one major problem - understaffing. I've heard lots of reasons for it but that really seems to be the problem. Canard on QM2 has an incredible 1 staff member to every two guests! Naturally they are going to have better service than NCLA or any other line. The other thing I know for sure is that the all American crew receives better pay and benefits than NCL's international crew. I can't help but put two and two together. It seems like they might be putting on less crew to compensate for having to pay them more. One more difference is due to union restrictions and I think some kind of Coast Guard requirements they got to go through more training. That and the processing they got to go through takes them longer to be assigned to a ship.

If all else fails NCL could simply do away with NCLA and just send all the Pride ships to Fanning Island or cruise from the coast with a token stop in Ensenada like other cruse lines. I don't think that will be necessary though. Most of the reviews on the boards (not the review section) have been positive on POH and the majority has been positive in the last two months.

I been on NCL ship,but I agree with every thing OP said.Why would you go on RCCL or Princess?Try them and will see the difference.I am not bushing NCL if you like them so much very good,thats why we have so many lines everyone can find what he loves.Only one thing I dont understand why US crew service should be any different from internatioanl crew?they get paid money they should work proper like all of us on our jobs

1. I have cruised on three non NCL ships (not RCCL or Princess) and while I enjoyed myself, I can honestly say my NCL experiences were superior in just about every way. IF RCCL and Princess ever had the itineraries and prices NCL has I would consider cruising on them but so far I have been amazed at how much more expensive they are and none of the itineraries has been unique enough to appeal to me.

2. What makes the American crew different from the international crew:

The international crew worked their way up through the ranks and have years of experience. (Did you know that most stewards on the Internationlly crewed ships start out as cleaners for things like the public washrooms on ships - becoming a cabin steward is a promotion.) The American crew are assigned jobs after a couple of weeks of training. Jobs none of them have much (if any) previous experience doing. Some have been waiters in restaurants on land (NOT the same as on a ship) but none have worked on a ship before. Some cabin stewards have worked in housekeeping in land hotels - once again NOT the same as being a cabin steward on a cruiseship.

So you are comparing people who have worked most of their working lives in a ship environment and done their job for years with people who have never worked on a ship before and are new to their jobs.

How long can ncla keep going? ncla must fall under the umbrella of ncl. At some point ncl will have to realize this isn't working.

I sailed to hawaii on the wind last year and had a great time. but, I wouldn't for my life sail ncla. the reviews i've read are just awful.

To think that NCLA is ready to go into the tank or that NCLA isn't working is rediculious just because there are a few bad reviews on this message board. Over 6000 people sail on NCLA ships each week and this board is such a small sample of what the passengers think. We were on the Pride of America last September and loved it and are going on the Pride of Hawaii this October.

1. I have cruised on three non NCL ships (not RCCL or Princess) and while I enjoyed myself, I can honestly say my NCL experiences were superior in just about every way. IF RCCL and Princess ever had the itineraries and prices NCL has I would consider cruising on them but so far I have been amazed at how much more expensive they are and none of the itineraries has been unique enough to appeal to me.

2. What makes the American crew different from the international crew:

The international crew worked their way up through the ranks and have years of experience. (Did you know that most stewards on the Internationlly crewed ships start out as cleaners for things like the public washrooms on ships - becoming a cabin steward is a promotion.) The American crew are assigned jobs after a couple of weeks of training. Jobs none of them have much (if any) previous experience doing. Some have been waiters in restaurants on land (NOT the same as on a ship) but none have worked on a ship before. Some cabin stewards have worked in housekeeping in land hotels - once again NOT the same as being a cabin steward on a cruiseship.

So you are comparing people who have worked most of their working lives in a ship environment and done their job for years with people who have never worked on a ship before and are new to their jobs.

Zeno and tomluvsaida, you both make some good points. Of course if, after a few more years NCLA isn't working the ships will just start doing Fanning Island or something similar. The line is not going under. One other point that is often mentioned; sailing the islands only on an American flagged ship is a different experience which does require some research. It is a wonderful way to see the islands in a short period of time and is very cost effective. It is not like sailing on any other itinerary. Most of us cruise for the cruising experience, cruising the Hawaiian Islands is for the island experience. The sooner this point is known by all who cruise the sooner the complaints will stop. NMNita

It is a wonderful way to see the islands in a short period of time and is very cost effective. It is not like sailing on any other itinerary. Most of us cruise for the cruising experience, cruising the Hawaiian Islands is for the island experience. The sooner this point is known by all who cruise the sooner the complaints will stop. NMNita

VERY good point! I hope you are correct. The point is Hawaii - lots of it in a short period of time for a reasonable price. NCLA is on our consideration list for our 2008 vacation and personally as long as my cabin is clean and the food is edible I would be happy. For me it would be a vacation to show our friend Hawaii (she has never been).

I just popped back on this board to see if things have improved enough for us to be tempted by the $300 credit from NCL (our cruise was beyond horrible in June). So you see, I am researching first...we are going to Hawaii in October, I think we will stick to a land vacation.

Something to think about...the cost of the cruise is not the only factor. My time is actually MORE important to me. With limited vacation time each year I don't want to waste it on a cruise that is less than satisfactory.

Yes, POA was a great way to see Hawaii in a short week...but waiting in lines for a meal is something I have do in Arizona during Snowbird season...not on vacation.

Too bad...POA is a beautiful ship with loads of potential, it is a shame NCLA can't get it right. Before all you NCL posters pounce, yes...NCL and NCLA do have problems with waiting in it's dining areas, why else would they invest in costly things like pager systems and computer screens throughout the ship for wait times in the restaurants? For us, we don't want the hassle of having to make reservations for meals or wait in lines...not on my vacation.

For the record, we have cruise experience on both NCL and NCLA...Freestyle is just not for us.

I just popped back on this board to see if things have improved

For the record, we have cruise experience on both NCL and NCLA...Freestyle is just not for us.

Sorry that you don`t like Freestyle but........you did not experience Freestyle on an NCL ship that was built for Freestyle so IMO you have not experienced it yet;) The Dream should never have offered Freestyle. I am sure that it put a lot of people off.

So You are put off NCL, so sad, but that is your choice. If you look at other cruise lines they are kinda.......sorta..going in that direction;) and the luxury lines are (mostly) there.

IToo bad...POA is a beautiful ship with loads of potential, it is a shame NCLA can't get it right. Before all you NCL posters pounce, yes...NCL and NCLA do have problems with waiting in it's dining areas, why else would they invest in costly things like pager systems and computer screens throughout the ship for wait times in the restaurants? For us, we don't want the hassle of having to make reservations for meals or wait in lines...not on my vacation.

Just happened to see this thread on the main CC forum page when logging in to research our next cruise. I haven't been around the NCL forum for a while.

It is a shame they can't seem to get it together, and it's all hit or miss. That said,on the one issue that NCLA can't seam to get fixed (dining room staffing/wait times) waiting times don't have to be a problem, IMHO, if the cruise line makes an effort to make you more comfortable during the wait.

What I mean is this, in a comparison. When we sailed POAm, on one night we had a wait that was supposed to be only about thirty minutes one evening that turned into about 1-1/2 hours. Not fun. Sure, you have a pager and can "wander" around the ship, but on POAm that means fighting through the crowds in the photo areas to even reach a place where you can get comfortable. Especially not knowing how long the wait might actually be, and the fact that if you don't show up within a minute or two of your page your spot is given to the next group/couple (We saw this happen much more than once!), you don't want to take the chance in leaving the area, which means sitting on stair, leaning on walls, no beverage or snack services anywhere near.

I pondered about this during our cruise on Princess to the British Isles last week. We had "Personal Choice" dining (their version of Frestyle), and had two evenings where we had to wait for our requested table for two. I thought to myself as I had several cold beverages at a lounge area in a comfortable chair within eyesight of the restaurant entrance that "this is quite pleasant! I hope I don't see my pager go off for a few more minutes!".

Point is, the cruise line should at least try to come up with a way for waiting passengers to feel more relaxed, comfortable and served attentively during the wait. I saw zero effort by NCLA to do that during our POAm cruise. As always, JMHO.

Just happened to see this thread on the main CC forum page when logging in to research our next cruise. I haven't been around the NCL forum for a while.

Point is, the cruise line should at least try to come up with a way for waiting passengers to feel more relaxed, comfortable and served attentively during the wait. I saw zero effort by NCLA to do that during our POAm cruise. As always, JMHO.

Excellent suggestion!! I would NEVER wait that long, and no one should have to either under those conditions.

Haven't been on RCCL or Princess, but have cruised HAL and Celebrity, and saw no significant difference except the regimented dining--in terms of choice, dress, timing, and companions, where a huge advantage goes to NCL.

Well...we hate free style,we love to dress up for formal night,we love Baked Alaska Walk and "champain" waterfalls,we love good food and good service even we have to pay a little more for this.Every one for his own.

I can't talk about all ships on NCl but Spirit was not for us.

Sorry that you don`t like Freestyle but........you did not experience Freestyle on an NCL ship that was built for Freestyle so IMO you have not experienced it yet;) The Dream should never have offered Freestyle. I am sure that it put a lot of people off.

So You are put off NCL, so sad, but that is your choice. If you look at other cruise lines they are kinda.......sorta..going in that direction;) and the luxury lines are (mostly) there.

Well, the $300 credit is tempting and you do make an excellent point. Maybe the Jewel would be worth a try but like I said, time is valuable...from my two experiences I am not sure it is worth the chance.

So I know where you are coming from, do you like traditional dining? If not, maybe we should just chalk it up to a difference in preference. We love getting to know our fellow tablemates and waiters, our dining experience is a very large part of why we enjoy cruising. We have friends that only cruise with Freestyle because that's what they like, but they have never experienced traditional dining.

As I said, the POA is a very beautiful ship and I should have mentioned it was also a very affordable way of seeing Hawaii in a short time. As for our cruise on the Dream, the crew did a fantastic job and the cruise was very enjoyable, even though we missed the traditional dining.

To think that NCLA is ready to go into the tank or that NCLA isn't working is rediculious just because there are a few bad reviews on this message board. Over 6000 people sail on NCLA ships each week and this board is such a small sample of what the passengers think. We were on the Pride of America last September and loved it and are going on the Pride of Hawaii this October.

The other thing a lot of these people are not noticing is that the MAJORITY of the Pride ship reviews in the boards in the past three months have been POSITIVE. :)

VERY good point! I hope you are correct. The point is Hawaii - lots of it in a short period of time for a reasonable price. NCLA is on our consideration list for our 2008 vacation and personally as long as my cabin is clean and the food is edible I would be happy. For me it would be a vacation to show our friend Hawaii (she has never been).

I agree with Zeno 100%!

Well, the $300 credit is tempting and you do make an excellent point. Maybe the Jewel would be worth a try but like I said, time is valuable...from my two experiences I am not sure it is worth the chance.

So I know where you are coming from, do you like traditional dining? If not, maybe we should just chalk it up to a difference in preference. We love getting to know our fellow tablemates and waiters, our dining experience is a very large part of why we enjoy cruising. We have friends that only cruise with Freestyle because that's what they like, but they have never experienced traditional dining.

As I said, the POA is a very beautiful ship and I should have mentioned it was also a very affordable way of seeing Hawaii in a short time. As for our cruise on the Dream, the crew did a fantastic job and the cruise was very enjoyable, even though we missed the traditional dining.

Freestyle Dining is a gift from the gods:D I have sailed many, many cruiselines and I will not sail traditional dining again.

We like to meet people on the ship and we like the choice of dining with them anywhere and anytime (If they want to:o ) I do not want to be "stuck" with tablemates for say......an 11 night cruise:eek:

This being said about how much I love NCL.......we are going to try Oceania for a Transatlantic, mainly, because it has open-seating (and I hope better food;) ).

Well...we hate free style,we love to dress up for formal night,we love Baked Alaska Walk and "champain" waterfalls,we love good food and good service even we have to pay a little more for this.Every one for his own.

I can't talk about all ships on NCl but Spirit was not for us.

this is fine and that is why there are so many lines. As for paying a little more, where in the world do you get the idea NCL has lower rates than other lines? My granddaughter choose her wedding to be on Celebrity because the rates were the lowest: We choose the Connie 3 years ago for our Thanksgiving cruise because the rates were much less than anything NCL had at the time even though we preferred Freestyle. In November we are going on HAL because we like the itinerary better than something similar on Princess and the price is better. I have seen Carnival prices higher than RCI. Am I making my point. Just because you prefer a certain line, we all have our favorites, this doesn't mean other lines are necessarily less or or lesser quality. The NCL ships built in the past 5 years, especailly for free style cruising can hold their own against any ships in the water (mass marketed that is) For those who prefer traditional dining go for it. I wonder if any of you have had totally terrible table mates, been rushed to get back to the ship in time to clean up and get to dinner by 6:15 or had the wait staff rush you out of the dining room so they would be ready for the late seating group? Of course maybe you have chosen late seating, fine, if you can get it, usually there is a wait list: you get late seating, you are satisfied and you finish dinner at 10pm, have an 8am tour so you want to get to bed before midnight, on a full stomach, no less. I am not saying traditonal is all bad nor do I think freestyle is all good but I would never base my entire cruise on freesyle versus traditional. BTW for those who prefer traditional start checking some of the other boards: it seems that some lines are experimenting with various forms of flexible dining. As the old time cruisers are replaced with the young families you will see less of what you think you can not live without. NMNita

I just popped back on this board to see if things have improved enough for us to be tempted by the $300 credit from NCL (our cruise was beyond horrible in June). So you see, I am researching first...we are going to Hawaii in October, I think we will stick to a land vacation.

Something to think about...the cost of the cruise is not the only factor. My time is actually MORE important to me. With limited vacation time each year I don't want to waste it on a cruise that is less than satisfactory.

Yes, POA was a great way to see Hawaii in a short week...but waiting in lines for a meal is something I have do in Arizona during Snowbird season...not on vacation.

Too bad...POA is a beautiful ship with loads of potential, it is a shame NCLA can't get it right. Before all you NCL posters pounce, yes...NCL and NCLA do have problems with waiting in it's dining areas, why else would they invest in costly things like pager systems and computer screens throughout the ship for wait times in the restaurants? For us, we don't want the hassle of having to make reservations for meals or wait in lines...not on my vacation.

You don't want to wait in lines AND you don't want to make reservations. I hope you enjoy eating fast food on your land vacation.:rolleyes:

The accountants prove it. In the last year, NCL has added three ships, the POAm, the Jewel, and the POH with the Sea departing. Most of the additional revenues this year comes from the two new additional NCLA ships. Some of the gain came from the larger Jewel replacing the Sea. Here's the first half year figures (6 months) for 2005 and 2006.

Passenger ticket revenues:

2005=$527.5 million 2006=$667.7 million Gain=$140.2 million

Onboard and other revenues:

2005=$195.3 million 2006=$253.9 million Gain=$58.6 million

Total revenues:

2005=$722.8 million 2006=$921.6 million Gain=$198.8 million

Passengers carried:

2005=450,634 2006=529,105 Gain=78,471

Capacity days:

2005=3,306,270 2006=3,880,867 Gain=574,597

Those are gross figures above. Expenses also climbed.

Total Cruise Expenses

2005=$465.5 million 2006=$571.0 Gain=$105.5 million

Net Cruise Cost per Capacity Day:

2005=$140.79 2006=$147.14 Gain=$7.65

Fuel Expenses

2005=$49.8 million 2006=$80.2 million Gain=$30.4 million

Total Cruise Expenses excluding fuel:

2005=$415.7 million 2006=$490.9 million Gain=$75.2 million

That $75.2 million includes the higher wages for an all American crew.

Net Cruise Cost per Capacity Day excluding fuel:

2005=$125.73 2006=$126.49 Gain=$0.76

So, most of the extra costs from year to year per capacity day, is from higher fuel costs.

We sailed on the Pride of Aloha Aug. 13 - 20, 2006. There were 11 adults and 1 toddler in our group. IT WAS THE PITTS!!! Our cabin was the size of a shoebox, 3 adults and the toddler roomed together. Never had clean linens and room was never vacuumed the entire trip. Long lines at the buffets and the restaurants took 31/2 hrs. to get served. $10 per day per person service charge is a joke.......WHAT SERVICE!!! Called for room service twice and they never delivered.

Hawaii was beautiful and would go again but NEVER on NCL. The ship should be put in "Moth Balls".

Archived