Fishing in Juneau or Ketchikan?

SFcruiser16

We are traveling to Alaska on Infinity 9/3.

We are currently booked for a 4 hour fishing trip in Ketchikan but the time we have there has been changed from 9-4. If we fish, we won't have any time to see Ketchikan.

Should I cancel that fishing trip and try to schedule one in Juneau instead?

If there are any avid fishermen/women out there...please let me know. Does location make a difference? We'd love to catch some wild salmon to ship home, but I also don't want to miss anything! Decisions, decisions...

Thanks!

Lucy

Ketchikan is the 'salmon capital,' and the fishing there can be great (we caught pink's and coho recently). If it were me, I'd stick with Ketchikan.

If you've booked with True Alaskan Charters and get a captain named Dan...run away quickly...the guy is kinda rude and has the personality of a doorknob.

My recommendation is Ken, at Northern Lights....or anybody other than 'Dan.' :D

I too am booked to fish in Ketchikan, but on the Sept 16 Summit cruise and I hope my time in port hasn't shortened.

How did you find out?

I fished in Juneau last year with Moondog and caught couple of Coha. I was expecting better results, but it was late in the season.

Silver season now.......been slow because of the weather this month.

I think I'd forget the fishing, you can buy wild salmon and have it shipped home for you. Just tell your friends you caught it!

I'd have to say forget about fishing in Juneau. Was there last week & none of the boats caught anything! Out of 4 fishing trips to Alaska, this was the first time that happened. The story is that there was a fishing derby in Juneau a few weekends ago, and they took out over 500,000 pounds of salmon in that one weekend. So the area is pretty much fished-out. Maybe it will be better in September, but my advice would be to stick with Ketchikan.

Archived