Sushi on "Serenade"?

according to the ship official review, but maybe someone who's sailed her can tell us if there is sushi in the Windjammer. There are a couple of other threads going at the moment about sushi on other ships. We're sailing on Serenade in December and I'd love to find some sushi, too!

I hope this response doesn't start the usual comments I've seen in the past, but I feel adventurous, so here goes! :D

Yes, there is sushi in the Windjammer every night. The sashimi (raw fish) type was limited, but there were many "cooked" types of different veggies, shrimp, egg. Accompaniments of shoyu, wasabi and pickled ginger are there too.

I've laughed at the arguments/comments about the low quality of sushi on cruise ships and especially those who think sushi means raw fish, stick their noses up and proceed to argue about something they don't know about. I'm not a fussy eater and have enjoyed the sushi bar on the Serenade. (Slightly off topic, but the make your own pizza bar is fun too; just scope the buffet and choose your ingredients!)

Okay, TMI probably, but "yes" to your question.

Aloha,

Noreen.:)

GREAT!!!:D I am happy to find out there is Sushi. By the way, I loved the sushi on the Mariner, so I am sure I will enjoy the Serenade's just as much. At one time, I thought all sushi was raw. I found out that I was wrong when I finally ate at a Japanese restaurant. Boy, was I clueless! Thanks!!!!!!!:)

At one time, I thought all sushi was raw. I found out that I was wrong when I finally ate at a Japanese restaurant. Boy, was I clueless! Thanks!!!!!!!:)

It took college and having some japanese friends in some classes to educate my palate. I learned that I could go to a restaurant and order some rolls with a high degree of enjoyment. I have tried the right out, everyone fears it "raw fish" variety, but unless it comes in a combo box, I tend to stick with vegetable rolls, cucumber rolls, tamago, and avocado rolls. Some really high quality places have some with cooked chicken that were simply incredible. Imagine toasted sesame seeds encrusting a spicey chicken roll.... Mmmmm...

If anything, I love the taste/texture of the wrap, the tang of the rice, the ritual of dabbing a on little wasabi, a quick tap in the soy sauce, and maybe a piece of pickled ginger on top.

Even if it may not be super traditional sushi/rolls, they still do a great job with their presentation. The varieties that I still turn my nose up to--baby octopus anyone?--can be eaten with ones eyes thus appreciating the beauty in a little culinary treat. I think it is great that it is being offered on their ships!

Since I seem to be in a rambling mood this afternoon....

When I was a little girl, a loooong time ago, I opened the refrig to get a quick snack. I saw a plate of thinly sliced ham, grabbed a piece and snarfed it down in one motion. OMG, :eek: it was sashimi (beautiful red tuna, BTW). Have never been able to eat the stuff since then. hahahahahaha. Sure looks good when i watch others enjoy it though.

Okay, now I'm really signing off.

aloha...

noreen

Guess I might need to take my own tube of prepared wasabi on my cruise in October. When I buy a package of "California Rolls" at Safeway (lunch), there's never enough wasabi. So when I run out of the amount with the package, I go into the fridge in our office breakroom & get my tube of wasabi out and finish my lunch.

My sinuses sure are cleared out by the time I've finished!!

Guess I might need to take my own tube of prepared wasabi on my cruise in October. When I buy a package of "California Rolls" at Safeway (lunch), there's never enough wasabi. So when I run out of the amount with the package, I go into the fridge in our office breakroom & get my tube of wasabi out and finish my lunch.

My sinuses sure are cleared out by the time I've finished!!

And I thought I was the only one who kept a tube of wasabi around at all times.:D

The policy on RCCL ships is not to use fresh (raw) fish in the sushi, alledgedly for health reasons. If you see salmon sushi it is made from smoked salmon. The tuna sushi is made from canned tuna (yuuukk!). What's really strange is that if you sail on Celebrity (which is owned by RCCL) all of the ships have a sushi bar and they do use fresh (raw) fish. If you are a sushi lover, you will be disappointed by what you find at the sushi display in the Windjammer on RCCL ships.

Based on what I've seen ... there's a bowl of pickled ginger and an absolutely frighteningly HUGE bowl of wasabi.

You're right....there was an enormous bowl of wasabi. No need to take extra along:D I never figured out how they thought people would eat *that* much of it.:eek:

We always have a tube of wasabi in the fridge, as well as a tin of the powdered stuff on hand.

Fran in Toronto

The policy on RCCL ships is not to use fresh (raw) fish in the sushi, alledgedly for health reasons. If you see salmon sushi it is made from smoked salmon. The tuna sushi is made from canned tuna (yuuukk!). What's really strange is that if you sail on Celebrity (which is owned by RCCL) all of the ships have a sushi bar and they do use fresh (raw) fish. If you are a sushi lover, you will be disappointed by what you find at the sushi display in the Windjammer on RCCL ships.

Say what you will, I'm much happier that they offer it onboard. And what some may find foul, others may take great delight ... it's just an opinion. Better to have the choice to form an opinion than be denied completely.

Archived