Sun Princess 12/30/06 questions

delgadofam2002

Hi will be on the Sun doing a Southern Carribbean from Ft Laud.

Curacao, Barbados, Dominica, Isla Margarita, St Thomas, & Princess Cay.

Myself, my husband, 2 children 10/12, & my husbands grandmother 7 aunt. Any suggestions? Should we bring our laptop? How many formal nights on a 10 day? Any must brings or don't? Haven't cruised since 2004 a bit rusty.

What are gratuities per day now a days?

Help very rusty!!!

I am sure that Cruise Critic members are more than willing to answer specific questions but a question like "Any suggestions?" is so open ended that it makes a response almost impossible. I believe there are 3 formal nights on a 10 day cruise. Gratuities are added to your stateroom account in the amount of $10.00 per day per passenger. You can raise, lower or remove the amount by contacting the Purser.

I have no idea if you should bring a laptop because I have no idea what you personally use a laptop for. The one piece of advice is to put out everything you intend to pack and then reduce it by half. That should get you to about the correct amount of items.

I have been to these islands numerous times and I have sailed on Sun class ships at least 5 times. I am more happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Have a great cruise!

We love the Sun Princess...not too big or small, great public spaces, service is fine, food is good, and the only comment I have is that the staterooms with balconies are pretty small. Still, they were clean, beds were good, and some of our family took an inside room, and were very pleased, it was clean, more spacious and quiet. Going on tours was better too, as not so many people getting on and off. Their disembarkation procedures could use a little improvement. Lots of folks standing, crowding in the stairways (what would the fire marshall have to say about that?) but you could leave early if IF you dragged your own luggage, which is what we choose to do...so pack light. Oh yes, formal nights (2) were not so formal as all that...men in ties and sport coats was fine and nice dresses for the ladies. They don't do the strictly formal stuff too much. Didn't like the way they are always hawking stuff at you, and they charge for hot choclate, canned pop, etc., and they add a tip to your bill automatically, unless you take it off at the Pursers desk. But, all in all, it is a good ship.

Can you recommend what to do at ports? We like history, culture, snorkling, diving.

I am sure that Cruise Critic members are more than willing to answer specific questions but a question like "Any suggestions?" is so open ended that it makes a response almost impossible. I believe there are 3 formal nights on a 10 day cruise. Gratuities are added to your stateroom account in the amount of $10.00 per day per passenger. You can raise, lower or remove the amount by contacting the Purser.

I have no idea if you should bring a laptop because I have no idea what you personally use a laptop for. The one piece of advice is to put out everything you intend to pack and then reduce it by half. That should get you to about the correct amount of items.

I have been to these islands numerous times and I have sailed on Sun class ships at least 5 times. I am more happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Have a great cruise!

The first time I go to a new Island I take the "city" tour. It is pretty cheap and lasts about 2-3 hours. The tour guide loves his Island and knows all about the politics, schools, history etc. They always hit all the highlights so you won't miss anything. The next time I go to that Island I will know where I would like to spend more time.

Curacao, Barbados, Dominica, Isla Margarita, St Thomas, & Princess Cay.
Can you recommend what to do at ports? We like history, culture, snorkling, diving.

Curacao - It is an easy walk into town from the ship. The town is interesting, attractive, and historical. This is also an excellent town for general shopping. As you walk around town you will see members of the crew shopping everywhere. That should tell you something.

We have also taken the Princess excursion "Curacao Country Drive" which explored Curacao’s volcanic west coast on a scenic drive that visits Boka Tabla natural arch, Westpoint Church, Knip Beach and the St. Willibrordus salt flats, home to pink flamingos. I thought the excursion was very good.

We also have taken the Princess excursion "Triple “S” excursion - Sharks, Seaquarium, Seaworld" which was okay but not the best excursion that I have been on with Princess.

Barbados - Silver Moon is a 5 hour lunch cruise onboard a luxury catamaran of the same name. It is a private excursion. The boat sails daily at 11am and returns to dock at 4pm. Two stops are made for swimming & snorkeling, one with the sea turtles. Transportation leaves from the Cruise Terminal and the excursion includes drinks, a delicious lunch, snorkeling instruction and equipment. The excursion is limited to a maximum of 12 guests. This was really a fantastic excursion!

Twice we have taken excursions with Glory Tours. Both of our excursions were excellent but a large number of people have had various problems with the tour company so I would have a hard time recommending them.

We have also used Boyce Tours and took the "The Splendour of Barbados" shore excursion. We thoroughly enjoyed this tour.

In Barbados make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to return to the ship especially if you are returning when the school buses are on the road. The road leading to the terminal becomes very congested in the afternoon and if you cut it too close you may find yourself arriving at the ship late.

Dominica - This island is very undeveloped and is noted for its forested state. The capital is Rosseau and there is vitual nothing to do or see in town. The Princess "Whale & Dolphin Watching" excursion received high marks from my wife. I took Ken’s Hinterland Tours (a private excursion) specifically the Middleham Falls and Ti Tou Gorge tour. It was extremely strenuous and very rugged but I thought it was fantastic and I will always remember it.

St. Thomas - if you haven't been there it is practically mandatory that you experience the shopping crush of the business district. If you dock at the West Indian Trading Company pier there is a tram directly across the street which rises to a fantastic view of Charlotte Amalie that I would recommend. If you want to get away from the crowds and experience a much more laid back atmosphere and some fantastic snorkeling head over to St. John. There is a ferry that leaves right from the waterfront in Charlotte Amalie. http://www.st-thomas.com/ferries.html

Princess Cay - There are a lot of water activities. They have a picnic in the large shelters onlocation. It is just a place to hang out.

Isla Margarita - I've not been there so I can't help.

Have a great cruise!

Archived