Sun vs Spirit

NJLVW

Help me please. Trying to decide between Sun western caribean out of NO or the Spirit out of NY. I've been on the Sun and loved her. I have no info or pic on the Spirit. Has anyone been on both? Can anyone compare? Does anyone know if the seas would be calmer out of NO? I am planning a Jan 07 cruise.

Thanx in advance for any help.

If there is a cold front that comes through - the GULF (out of New Orleans) can get high seas and rough. The Gulf is like a big bowl so anything will churn it up. That said it will probably be a lot warmer in Janaury in New Orleans - probably around 50 degrees. SOmetimes it has gotten to 70 degrees in Janaury. The first day at sea will be chilly but will warm up quick. Out of New York it will be colder at first and take a bit longer to warm up.... :) Debbie

I've cruised on both ships, and enjoyed them both equally. The Spirit has a slightly different layout, and has and aft pool area as well as the standard amidships pool. The cabin bathrooms are somewhat different on the Spirit, with the toilet and shower areas separated by a door and curtain arrangement which was kind of nice. I would sail either ship again, depending on the itinerary.

As for rough weather, my gut feeling is you'll have worse weather cruising along the east coast in January versus the Gulf of Mexico. I've cruised out of New Orleans before in January, and after the first day at sea, the weather turned very nice as we got close to the Yucatan. Mya guess is that wouldn't be the case out of New York until you actually made is down to Miami.

Hope this helps.;)

Thank you for all the replies. We were on the Sun this past Jan.out of Miami. 1st day rough seas 20ft swells. yuck.. I was hoping Gulf was smoother than Atlantic

but I suppose it doesn't really matter were you cruise out of. You can't change mother nature.

I like both itineraries so I guess I am just trying to decide which ship. I prefer aft cabins. I know what the Sun has to offer. Does anyone have pics of AD cabin on the Spirit? Is it easy to get around?

Having the choice would you cruise out of NY or N Orleans?

Again I thank you for all your help.

Here is a nice slide show of the Spirit .

http://164.109.173.140/spirit_slideshow/

And another 3000+ random pictures here

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=ncl+spirit&new=1&source=search_results_top

Given a choice in Jan. I would cruise out of NYC. Only one reason I don't have to fly. You have to plan on flying the day before that time of year.

I have not been on the Spirit so I can't add any first hand information.

I have cruised the Dawn out of NYC in Feb. the last 3 years and am booked for the next two :) Believe it or not the worst seas we had out of 31 days onboard were heading to Barbados from St. Thomas in 2004.

The view looks wonderful from the AD balconies. Some have posted a bit of vibration aft on the Spirit when at full speed.

292270080_Spiritaft.jpg.5d9f6804cbec174e96d8c0213ec301e3.jpg

Shoreguy, Thank you so much. You are always so helpful. The ship looks beautiful. The last 2 cruises I have been on Sun AC & Sky AB they were both aft. I think the most beautiful place to be. I think your right going out of N Y. We can take a bus or train in from Ma. on the same day. Out of N O 1 day early and have to fly in. hmmm.. I guess we'll just have to get dramamine in case of rocky seas.....I wish you had been on Spirit for first hand info. Your knowlege is so helpful..thanx again..

Shoreguy, Thank you so much. You are always so helpful. The ship looks beautiful. The last 2 cruises I have been on Sun AC & Sky AB they were both aft. I think the most beautiful place to be. I think your right going out of N Y. We can take a bus or train in from Ma. on the same day. Out of N O 1 day early and have to fly in. hmmm.. I guess we'll just have to get dramamine in case of rocky seas.....I wish you had been on Spirit for first hand info. Your knowlege is so helpful..thanx again..

Pack the Bonine - better safe then sorry

200.jpg

I agree nothing better then an aft view.

719315311_Aftwake2.jpg.29b80e2225bfb32a1ef3dd80cc0197b9.jpg

Thanx again...I think I did it. Yes out of NY. Southern vs Western. Spirit vs Sun.Fly in a day early or train,bus in the same day. 10 days or 7days. You guessed it I booked the Spirit. Now to convince DB. eeks...forgot 1 major obstacle..We'll have to get that accomplished this weekend. Now I will obsess for the next 5 mos...

I've sailed on both ships. While close to the same size, there are major differences between them. I really enjoyed both cruises and like both ships.

So, I'll answer with mostly the differences I've seen, but don't take this as favoring one ship over the other.

Cabins sizes are close to the same, there's bigger closets on the Sun, but the Spirit has the larger bathroom and shower. The Sun uses curtains for the shower while the Spirit has a sliding glass shower door. The Sun has small refrigerators in every cabin, the Spirit only has refrigerators in the suites. The Sun's cabins have DVD players, the Spirit's cabins didn't.

The Sun has more suites with three levels aft than the Spirit which has only one level of suites aft.

Restaurants are similiar on both ships. The Sun has a fine Italian restaurant called Il Adagio with a surcharge while the Spirit has an Italian buffet called the La Trattoria that's free. The huge Palladium windows in the Spirit's main aft restaurant provided great views, and generally the restaurant decors was more impressive on the Spirit than on the Sun.

The Spirit has two large swimming pools, one amidship for adults and one aft for the kids. The Sun has two smaller swiming pools amidiship and one tiny children's pool forward. The aft pool area on the Spirit is another great place to observe the scenery sail past.

The Observation Lounge on the Sun had an open deck forward of the Lounge, while the Galaxay of the Stars on the Spirit is fully enclosed. Both are excellent places for passengers in inside cabins to observe the scenery go by and get some drinks.

While the Spirit had a cigar smoking lounge, you couldn't buy cigars at the cigar smoking lounge like you can aboard the Sun.

The Sun has your basic nautical looking decor using mostly lighter woods while the Spirit's has an Asian decor using mostly darker woods. The art aboard the Spirit along passageways was more beautiful than what you'll find on the Sun.

There are teak decks on the Spirit but not on the Sun. The bright blue decks aboard the Sun didn't appear as nice, but were probably safer to stroll on because they had non-skid applied.

I know you'll have a great cruise on either ship. I did.

I have sailed the Sun five times and the Spirit once. I agree with Electricon's comparison. My cousins from Massachusettes took the train and did not have any problems. The shower space on the Spirit is rectangular while the Sun is circular (balcony cabins). In my opinion, they are quite different ships in regards to decor. Sailing back to NYC was more wild than running from Hurricane Wilma. If you want to search my postings, I wrote reviews. Not sure how far back cruisecritic goes, but here are the dates:

Spirit: April 2006

Sun: October 2005

Sun: Thanksgiving week: November 2004

I think either ship you will have a great time! NYC and NO are great, although I have not been to NO since 2001.

Coka

Thanx electricon, & coka. Coka your review on the Spirit was wonderful. Your last day at sea hmmm that is my only concern. We had 20ft swells out of Miami to Dominican Republic in Jan. Not usually what happens time of the year and in caribbean.

I will say I love being on NCL but I have nothing else to compare to. I could rave about each one I have been on only 5 so it's not that many compared to others..

I thought going out of NY would be fun. I don't know if NO is fully rebuilt yet that there would be lots to do. Although I have never been to the western caribbean and I just went to Tortola & St Thomas in Jan. I love St Thomas...

So as you can all see I am confussed.....I guess I will keep looking at the photos

Shoreguy sent and make my decision..

Anymore comments would truly be appreciated.

Thanx

Archived