Strange Foods you wish you could find on a Cruise

M&MCruisin

OK...as I was making my breakfast this morning, i realized that my favorite breakfast food couldnt be made on a cruise ship, therefore bringing me to an interesting topic....

If you arent afraid to admit the crazy things you eat....what is something you love to eat that you cant get on a cruise ship? My favorite breakfast food is....Rye toast with peanut butter and either BBQ chips or Doritos. Yes...once that peanut butter is all melted on top of my rye bread, I dip my chips into the creamy peanut butter. Oh what a combo! I have no Idea why I started eating this, but I have been doing it for over 20 years! :D

OK...as I was making my breakfast this morning, i realized that my favorite breakfast food couldnt be made on a cruise ship, therefore bringing me to an interesting topic....

If you arent afraid to admit the crazy things you eat....what is something you love to eat that you cant get on a cruise ship? My favorite breakfast food is....Rye toast with peanut butter and either BBQ chips or Doritos. Yes...once that peanut butter is all melted on top of my rye bread, I dip my chips into the creamy peanut butter. Oh what a combo! I have no Idea why I started eating this, but I have been doing it for over 20 years! :D

Wow, I didn't even eat those combos when I was pregnant. It does sound interesting though. I can't think of any foods that I eat that can't be found on a cruise ship. My favorite thing to do when I was younger was to dip regular Lay's potato chips in my coffee. Now that's good stuff...lol. I can't wait to hear the interesting things people will write about in here. Thanks for starting it out. Should be fun.

They do have peanut butter on the ships. Usually in small containers near the condiments. I'm sure they have rye toast, too, so all you need to do is supply the chips. :-)

My mother and I used to eat peanut butter and onion sandwiches. The weirdest thing I've seen lately is my granddaughter dipping her Burger King hash browns into milk.

They do have peanut butter on the ships. Usually in small containers near the condiments. I'm sure they have rye toast, too, so all you need to do is supply the chips. :-)

My mother and I used to eat peanut butter and onion sandwiches. The weirdest thing I've seen lately is my granddaughter dipping her Burger King hash browns into milk.

Thanks for the heads up on the condiments! Yummmmmm! But Peanut butter and onion sandwhiches....dont think I could do that one.

I wonder how many people will read these combos and actually try one??? Anyway, Come on people....write in and tell us your crazy food fetish!

Nutella (a European Hazelnut-Chocolate spread) on toast - it's not strange but I have never seen it on a cruiseship.

That was immediately what I thought of when I started to read this post! Ah, Nutella! The best is on fresh hard rolls. I lived on the stuff when I was studying in Austria.

Would love to see frogs legs (sauteed in wine, butter & garlic) again on an NCL ship.

Haven't had that one since the Dawn May 2003 repo that brought her to her home base NYC.

Maybe on next Oct.'s reverse repo there'll be a return of the frogs legs!:D

I have learned one thing on a cruise ship and that is if you want something in the dining room, ask for it. :p If it's within reason, there's a good chance you'll get it. We were on a cruise with some friends of the Jewish faith and one of the guys wondered if they could get pickled herring. :rolleyes: I told him to ask the waiter, and the waiter's response was that he would ask them in the kichen and sure enough he came back and said that they couldn't get it today, but he'd have it for them tomorrow. I would imagine that you could get almost anything while on a cruise (except maybe haggis) but the old saying goes "if you don't ask, you don't get". ;)

This isn't my particular thing, but I grew up with my father's strange food habits.... when my mother would make lima beans for dinner we were under strict instructions not to throw away the leftovers (and we were glad to leave leftovers, believe me!). My father would ransack the refrigerator later in the evening and enjoy his feast in front of the tv --- a lima bean sanwich! The butter would have congealed at this point and he would mash the whole thing together and spread on bread..... he claims it's delicious, but I couldn't tell you - I've never had the guts!

My dad is legendary for his odd food choices. He loves cream cheese sandwiches with green olives. His favorite drink is called "Yuck" He keeps a quart pitcher in the fridge, and pours any leftover beverage in there. (if leftovers are lacking he usually has a base of ice tea). Looks like dirty dishwater to me and I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole, but he's been drinking it all my life.

My dad is legendary for his odd food choices. He loves cream cheese sandwiches with green olives. His favorite drink is called "Yuck" He keeps a quart pitcher in the fridge, and pours any leftover beverage in there. (if leftovers are lacking he usually has a base of ice tea). Looks like dirty dishwater to me and I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole, but he's been drinking it all my life.

Hey nothing odd about cream cheese and olive sandwiches (well maybe not if you like them too). Tell him to try cream cheese and anchovy sandwiches - really yummy too.

Would love to see frogs legs (sauteed in wine' date=' butter & garlic) again on an NCL ship.

Haven't had that one since the Dawn May 2003 repo that brought her to her home base NYC.

Maybe on next Oct.'s reverse repo there'll be a return of the frogs legs!:D[/quote']

MMMM - frogs legs!!!

That was immediately what I thought of when I started to read this post! Ah, Nutella! The best is on fresh hard rolls. I lived on the stuff when I was studying in Austria.

I discovered it in Belgium on crusty French bread - so nutty and chocolatey!

This thread is making me HUNGRY!

Not really weird but when I was younger I used to like putting Ritz crackers on my bologna/cheese sandwich with mayo and lettuce. Yummy.

I also remember my dad having a bowl of chocolate ice cream and putting smashed up Lays chips on top. Yuck, can't imagine that one. I guess he was going for the sweet/salty thing.

We were on a riverboat in Mississippi and one the appetisers in a restaurant was "Fried Macaroni and Cheese.' Our curiosity got the besst of us, so we ordered some. YUM YUM! They had a coating on them, like you would use to make onion rings. They were a little bigger than a golf ball, and more long. When you cut into it, the creamy, hot mac and cheese oozed out a little. They were deliciousd. I'm going to try to figure out how to make some at home.

What I wouldn't llike to see on a cruise ship is Vegamite! I had my fill of that in Australia! :eek:

Catnanny

I LOVE Nutella! Its good with anything or by itself! I can get it at Kroger here at home.

But I had some recently and got sick, I guess I can't take all that sugar anymore :(

Something else- When I was in college we used to go to Wendy's and get french fries and a frosty. It was yum.

Very occasionaly now, if I go to chick fil a and get the fries I have to eat the fries with mayo. It was actually good the first time I had it- I was surprised at that!

Fried Macaroni and Cheese...sounds sooo good! I would imagine that you would make them the same way you make rice balls...

make the macc and cheese, then dip it in eggs, and roll it in bread crumbs, or the coating of your choice, then deep fry. I am going to have to give that a try sometime soon :)

Debbie

Archived