Hotel at Heathrow????

bldsld

Hi Denyse,

The Hilton at Heathrow is the best for us as you can walk to it along a covered walkway. It is clean and about the same as all other airport hotels but has the advantage of the walkway as opposed to taxis or buses. Whenever we fly out of Heathrow we stay there.

See you soon!!!

Kathryn

Hi Kathryn,

Thanks for the quick reply! We just finalized our flight plans, and decided to get into Heathrow a day early (November 2), as we fly to Malaga on the 3rd, for 2 nights pre-cruise with Ceejay and the doctors. Will you also be spending a few days before the cruise, or are you flying straight through on the day-of?

See you soon!!! Yippee!!!

Denyse

Hi Kathryn,

Thanks for the quick reply! We just finalized our flight plans, and decided to get into Heathrow a day early (November 2), as we fly to Malaga on the 3rd, for 2 nights pre-cruise with Ceejay and the doctors. Will you also be spending a few days before the cruise, or are you flying straight through on the day-of?

Denyse

HI Denyse

Kathryn is correct about the Heathrow Hilton. It's attached to Terminal 4 via a covered walkway. Terminal 4 is the BA longhaul terminal so if you're flying BA into London then that's the easiest place to stay based on your arrival.

Whatever airline you're flying from London to Malaga will depart from the Central Terminal Area (Terminals 1,2,3) so you'll need to go to T4 and take the train or bus over to that area.

My personal choice would be to stay at one of the hotels on "Bath Road" since the London-Malaga flight will leave from either T1 (BA) or T2 (Iberia...I think). It's always my decision to stay at a hotel at a connecting point that makes the departure easier vs. the arrival.

If you stay at the LHR Hilton you'll probably need to walk your bags to T4 and then take the train/bus to T1/T2.

If you stay on Bath Road you would take your bags from T4 to T1,2,3 and take the "Hotel Hoppa" to your hotel.

Virtually every major chain is represented on Bath Road. There are 2 Sheratons, a Marriott, an Edwardian, etc.

It's really six of one, half dozen of the other.

Just my $0.02 adjusted for the rate of inflation!

Give a "hey" to Ken for us!

Will you also be spending a few days before the cruise, or are you flying straight through on the day-of?

Denyse

Hi Denyse,

We are flying in the day before the cruise, we were to arrive at noon but BA have changed our flight and we will not get there until early evening now, but hopefully our luggage will be with us:D if not I will be buying some more Spanish clothes!!

As to the hotel, it really does not matter, they are all of a muchness, but I just thought as you would have had a gruelling day getting there, the short walk to your bed would be inviting and the next morning you would be refreshed and ready to face the Airport again. If you have a particular chain of hotel that you prefer then choose that as they are all easily accessible with the buses/taxis.

Have a great flight(s)!

Kathryn

Can anyone recommend a specific hotel at LHR?

Thanks!

Denyse

Hi Denyse...just an quick update. I don't think any airline's flight non-stop from San Francisco will arrive at Terminal 4 so the Hilton wouldn't be too convenient. BA arrive at T1, AA, UA, Virgin at T3.

Just returned from a trip to Britain and we stayed at the Hilton Terminal 4 the first evening after arriving at 9:00 p.m. Terminal 3. The hotel is not a short walk from any terminal. Also, the rooms were very small......smaller then New York rooms and the room's a/c did not work well either. If you are staying during another one of London's heat waves then I would advise going elsewhere as you will fry in the room. The temperature reading never got below 24C/75F on the thermastat and it was warm and humid in the room. I was glad that we were leaving early the next day for a better hotel. Next time I would do what the others suggested and stay at the Sheraton or Marriott or one of the hotels that actually has curbside shuttle pick up at the airport to make it easier. Again coming from terminal 3 we had to pick up our luggage, and then take a long walk to the train. Thankfully there are free luggage carts at the luggage carousel to make the walk a little easier but then you have to leave the cart behind while riding the train. After disembarking the train upon arrival at Terminal 4 at least there were more luggage carts to use. But again the walk is not a short one from the train or along the tunnel bridge that connects the Hilton to the terminal and I wouldn't advise it for anyone that can't walk very far. In my opinion it is much easier to collect your bags and exit your terminal and walk onto a hotel shuttle bus that will load your bags for you and drive you right to the door then hopping on and off trains etc. This is what we will be doing next time.

Pat

It is a short walk for us in the UK that are used to walking, sorry if I misrepresented this, we found it a very short walk. as for temperatures I am sure you can book into the Hilton on 350 days out of any year and not suffer from any heat problems. This July the whole of the UK had temperatures that we are just not used to and we all had to make the best of it. I am sure the temperature in november will not leave you too warm, let us hope the heating copes better than the air conditioning, which I think it will as we are used to cold temperatures.

Are New York rooms a standard for hotel rooms now? The rooms we have had have been perfectly adequate for 2 normal sized people with average luggage needing to sleep.

Sorry, I do not mean this to be antaganistic but I say things how I see them.

We are able to carry or move our own luggage so that may be the difference. I am sure you (Denyse) can carry your own luggage as well! If not Ken will help you out! If not then just what are you doing in that gym?????

Choose whichever hotel you want I am not affiliated to the Hilton at all I just found it a clean decent Hotel within walking distance of terminal 4.

See you soon and sorry I posted in the first place.

Kathryn

When flying short haul we always stay at the Crowne Plaza and make use of their on-site parking package.

We have stayed there twice this year already and always ask for a quiet no-smoking room with two double beds (we like lots of space pre-flight!)on the 4th floor. Have always been happy.

We haven't eaten there though I understand that it can be expensive. The "Giraffe" restaurant in Terminal 1 does a very good breakfast if you have time.

We usually book through www.holidayextras.co.uk for a good deal.

As others have said The Crowne Plaza does get good reviews on Trip Adviser and this is how we found it in the first place.

The Heathrow Hoppa bus from the hotel to the airport costs £3.00 per person each way. A taxi is £9 - 10.00.

If I was flying out of Terminal 4 I would stay at the Hilton because of the walking distance to the terminal.:)

Hope this helps.

Sue

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Craig, you are quite right--UA lands at Terminal 3, however, we leave out of Terminal 4 on BA, so as you said, it's six of one, half dozen of the other. The Hilton does seem convenient for the outbound flight, but they all sound decent. BTW, Canadagal, I'm not worried about A/C in November---I would relish a heat wave at that time of year!!!;)

Thanks again!

Denyse

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Craig, you are quite right--UA lands at Terminal 3, however, we leave out of Terminal 4 on BA, so as you said, it's six of one, half dozen of the other. The Hilton does seem convenient for the outbound flight, but they all sound decent. BTW, Canadagal, I'm not worried about A/C in November---I would relish a heat wave at that time of year!!!;)

Thanks again!

Denyse

Hi Denyse...

I'm assuming you're flying SFO - LHR on UA and the LHR-Malaga on BA. If that's correct, the BA flight departs Terminal 1, at least it currently does. I'm not aware of any terminal changes with the BA winter schedule, so check to make sure which terminal your BA flight departs from. If BA is from Terminal 1 then the Hilton wouldn't be good for you.

Hi Craig,

You are quite right. It's Terminal 1 that we depart from, on GB Airways. Have you ever flown them? We bought business class seats so that we could have the larger luggage allowance.

Regards to Wil!

Denyse

Hi Craig,

You are quite right. It's Terminal 1 that we depart from, on GB Airways. Have you ever flown them? We bought business class seats so that we could have the larger luggage allowance.

Regards to Wil!

Denyse

Hi Denyse...

I haven't flown "GibAir" but I believe that the onboard service mirrors that of mainline BA flights so GB's Club Europe should be equal to BA's Club Europe.

...and, of course...regards to Ken! (btw...W just turned 50 this week and we're off to France to celebrate next week!)

Hi Denyse,

I have flown GB Airways business class from LHR to AGP (right after my flight from LAX to LHR) in 2002 to my first Seabourn cruise. I shared the same concerns as you when my flight itinerary said for my BA flight to AGP that the flight was operated by GB Airways. I called BA and asked them about it. BA told me that GB Airways was (at least in 2002) a BA franchisee, the planes are all in BA livery, the crew wears BA uniforms and are also trained by BA as well. The integration of BA and GBA was totally seamless and invisible to the passengers.

The flight was just fine, the seat was comfortable (but not as nice as the flat bed across the Atlantic into LHR) and the dinner was good. I also really liked the business class lounge at LHR. Spacious, quiet, electrical outlets, and dataports to stay connected with your world and unobtrusive flight departure announcements. Since the plane for my flight came in from Casablanca (our fourth port of call on the cruise) was late due to sand storms, BA kept us appraised of the revised arrival time.

If you are flying straight through to AGP from the US with no stopover in London, go to the last bagage carousel on the left as you walk towards the teminal exit or the "International Arrivals" section to get yor bags and go through customs. If you have made a stopover in London, then go to the applicable domestic or European Union arrivals carousel with the bulk of the passengers to collect your luggage and be on your way (no customs clearence).

Archived