Just off Carnival Legend Aug 16 - 24

thecripcruiser

This is my review of the Carnival Legend sailing Aug 16 - 24

I am a disabled traveler and , therefore, my review will be geared to the disabled in some aspects. I travel with my Pride scooter and a transport wheelchair, and book a HA room.

Embarkation was slow, but painless and I had no problem driving my scooter on board the ship, except for the crowd. Some areas are difficult to maneuver. Mostly its due to folk who are impatient and try to get around the scooter as im trying to drive it. This is a problem everywhere. The ship is very beautiful, the murals, paintings, vases in the stairwells, all the public rooms are a feast for the eyes. The urns are there everywhere.

During life boat drill, I was sent to the lounge with all other HC people, so we didn’t have to stand in the crowd.

Our room was spacious and comfortable. Our balcony wae 3 times the size of normal one, we kept the wheelchair out there. The bathroom was large enough for a wheelchair to maneuver in and the shower area was equipped with a fold up sturdy bench. A good amount of counter and shelf space as well. However, the waste basket is attached to the wall under the counter , and I found that to be difficult.

The bed is very comfortable and there was enough closet space, but drawer space is limited.

Getting around the ship was not easy, as it was crowded and people tend to ignore a person in a scooter. So, I won’t cruise with the scooter anymore. Takes away some of my independence but, not so nerve wracking. First 2 days were great and we had fun meeting with our Cruise Critic buddies.

Aug 19 San Juan

Got off the ship with no problems, and went to Senior Frogs. Never again. I entered a dimly lit restaurant and asked where the bathroom was. The wait staff who told me failed to mention the unlit, unmarked step up and I fell flat on my face, bruising my left knee , stomach, and hands. As well as jarring all my joints. I was crying, and the staff were indifferent. They still charged us $28 for the drinks we had ordered. Oh, they gave me a bag of ice for my knee. That fall really had an impact on the rest of the trip. My transport wheelchair broke that day . Just bad luck.

After boarding the ship, DH and I had supper at the Golden Fleece and it was better than I had anticipated. The ambiance and the staff were wonderful. Very posh, amazing food and presentation, and a great duo entertaining. We got up during dinner to dance to our song [ it was our anniversary] That was the only dance of the whole trip. It was memorable and very romantic. I was in some pain for the rest of the trip

Carnival was most accommodating and very helpful. When my wheelchair broke, the let me take one of their wheelchairs off the ship so I couch still do the ports. When we found that I couldn’t do the buses on excursions, they refunded all the money we had spent on them.

The shore excursions are NOT handicapped accessible We will use private tours from now on.

Aug 20 St Thomas

Woke up to my knee severely bruised and swollen. We had booked a shopping and beach tour. The bus was extremely difficult to board and get off. The steps were no more than 6 inches wide and the opening very narrow. The beach was beautiful but it was in a resort and the slope to the water was very steep. I did not enjoy it at all. Couldn’t get into the water without DH’s help. Once in , he had to hold me to keep from falling down. This is one of the tours that Carnival refunded me. I think it was Emerald Beach Back on board, we enjoyed karaoke and I found fine spots to park the scooter so I could walk into the lounges, although floor lighting would have made navigation easier. Once the lights have been dimmed , it was impossible to see where you were going. I was blessed to be cruising with wonderful CC people who were always willing to lend aid.

Aug 21 Tortola

We woke, had room service, and got off the ship to find a taxi. This was our best day. We went to Brewster’s bay. Our driver, Jacko, was informative and took us to the beach and shopping , and waited for us for $55. Including tip. The beach was charming and uncrowned. The beachfront was easily traversed, and there were many, many fish in the clear water. It was delightful, and a little rustic. There were chickens and little chicks running all over. The restaurant had chicken on the menu, After that we went shopping and hit the Sunny Carribe Spice shop and the open air vendors. This island is beautiful. I want to visit it again. That evening was the Legends show, my DH was Elvis in the show. He went to rehearse and I took a nap on the balcony.

The show was a riot After, lots of people wanted to take pics with the cruisers who had played the legends. We had lots of fun During the next 2 sea days, people were recognizing DH from the show. What a trip

The remaining 2 sea days were a lot of fun. We met with the CC group again and did some gambling. There was honestly not enough time in the day to do all we wanted to do.

Disembarkation was swift once we got moving. We were off the ship by 10:30am

As I’ve said, the ship is beautiful, however I will not cruise the Legend again. It rocks a lot and I was constantly aware of the movement. We will go for a wider , more stable ship.

I have more details, but this is running long.

Feel free to ask any questions and I’ll try to answer them

Shirl

Thanks for your review. We are cruising on the Legend in January and I'll be bringing my scooter. I'm also on oxygen which will make it even more challenging. We decided to book an aft suite as I can walk short distances and don't feel I need a Handicapped Cabin.

In two weeks we are on NCL's Sun going to Alaska so I should have everything down pat by then.

Toni ;)

Archived