What are some of the best Excursions for Grand Cayman ?

Calicruisefamily

We were just there this past week.

We did butterfly farm and sea grape beach at 7 mile beach. The butterfly farm was just OKAY. I wouldn't do it again.. same with the beach.

I really wished we would have done the stingray one. But we cruised with my 21 mo daughter... so I thought it would have been too much- but now that it's over, I wish we would have done it.

If you are really into butterflies then it was a nice excursion. Both my daughter and I are very into butterflies but still found the excursion just okay and would not repeat or really reccommend it.

We are going to be in Grand Cayman this December and need to know what everyone thinks are some of the best Excursions to do ?

Voyager W. Caribbean 12/16/06 "Our First AFT"

Voyager E. Caribbean 11/05

S.S. Azure Seas Baja 11/90

The Stingray City Swim & Snorkel is awesome. We can't wait to go back and do it again.

Thanks for your info :) We are taking our 9 year old daughter and she has been talking alot about the stingray city excursion. I also would like to do the Stringray city excursion. Now if I can just talk my husband into it :o He seems a little funny about swimming with the stingrays.

Voyager W. Caribbean 12/16/06 "Our First AFT 1688"

Voyager E. Caribbean 11/05

S.S. Azure Seas Baja 11/90

We were just there this past week.

We did butterfly farm and sea grape beach at 7 mile beach. The butterfly farm was just OKAY. I wouldn't do it again.. same with the beach.

I really wished we would have done the stingray one. But we cruised with my 21 mo daughter... so I thought it would have been too much- but now that it's over, I wish we would have done it.

If you are really into butterflies then it was a nice excursion. Both my daughter and I are very into butterflies but still found the excursion just okay and would not repeat or really reccommend it.

Thanks ;) My daughter is funny around butterflies .

We recommend Sting Ray City, a sandbar in the ocean where the water is only 4-feet deep. Even though the place was crowded, we had a great time. Stingrays with 2-to-4 foot wingspans were in abundance and very tame. Boat captains were catching them and passing them around for everyone to view and hold. Plenty of squid was available for feeding. We were happy to have been on a private tour with NativeWay ($25 each, plus tip). Some double-decker boats were absolutely jam-packed with passengers. Squeals pierced the air every time a stingray glided a wing against someone's leg. We spent about 1.5 hours between the two locations. Plenty of time. It was a very memorable and fun experience. Highly recommended!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

We recommend Sting Ray City, a sandbar in the ocean where the water is only 4-feet deep. Even though the place was crowded, we had a great time. Stingrays with 2-to-4 foot wingspans were in abundance and very tame. Boat captains were catching them and passing them around for everyone to view and hold. Plenty of squid was available for feeding. We were happy to have been on a private tour with NativeWay ($25 each, plus tip). Some double-decker boats were absolutely jam-packed with passengers. Squeals pierced the air every time a stingray glided a wing against someone's leg. We spent about 1.5 hours between the two locations. Plenty of time. It was a very memorable and fun experience. Highly recommended!

Swimming with the stingrays sounds like so much fun :) I am going to have to look into doing this one with or without my husband.

If you scuba dive that is the number one excursion to take, the diving here is uncomparible, the visibility is 100+ and so much under sea life everywhere.

If your not certified take the beginners class you will get more bang for your buck and the experience of a life time.

2nd tour would be Stingeray City snorkel, one of lifes most friend enteractive tour with nature.

Did your $25 include a snorkel stop? Going with my husband and 3 children. They all want to snorkel but I do not. I just would like to do the stingray city stop. I'd be content to sit in a boat while they snorkel though. Can we do both snorkeling and stingray in a 2 hour tour?

Cali.....get your husband a camera and some sun screen and have him sit comfortably on the ship and snap photos of you and the stingrays. There's always someone who just doesn't want to touch "those things" and it's no big deal. It is an awesome adventure and even those that don't want to go in the water seem to really enjoy it. Hope you do too!:)

We did the stingray trip with Mobey Dick tours. We did not order in advance, plenty of tour operators waiting at the pier to sign you up. We signed up and they told us to meet in 1 hr, which gave us some time to shop. We then took a bus to their boat, did the stingrays and then some snorkeling not far from there. It was awesome! I was very scared at first, but once the 1st one touch me with his wing and I screamed, I was good to go after that. I even fed them and held and kissed one! (They say it brings 7 yrs of good luck, so it was worth a try :D

Moby Dick had a smaller boat, so we had a group of about 10 or 15 people. We did not have to wear life vests like the bigger boats with the ship excursions. I would have been upset if I had to wear one since we were in about 4 ft of water! I guess the ships' excursions do it for liability reasons. You can find Moby Dick tours on the internet.

Tell your husband that 2 years ago we took my 72 year old mother [who can not swim!!] on a stingray city tour. She screamed when the stingrays came by but had a great time. She even held one, briefly, and gave it a quick kiss.

Thanks ;) I can't wait to tell him.

Cali.....get your husband a camera and some sun screen and have him sit comfortably on the ship and snap photos of you and the stingrays. There's always someone who just doesn't want to touch "those things" and it's no big deal. It is an awesome adventure and even those that don't want to go in the water seem to really enjoy it. Hope you do too!:)

Thanks ;) You know the funny thing is he has never had any trouble with jumping off our boat in the river, I think I will ask him to give me a little more detail on why he does not care to do this. Wish me luck LOL :p

We did the stingray trip with Mobey Dick tours. We did not order in advance, plenty of tour operators waiting at the pier to sign you up. We signed up and they told us to meet in 1 hr, which gave us some time to shop. We then took a bus to their boat, did the stingrays and then some snorkeling not far from there. It was awesome! I was very scared at first, but once the 1st one touch me with his wing and I screamed, I was good to go after that. I even fed them and held and kissed one! (They say it brings 7 yrs of good luck, so it was worth a try :D

Moby Dick had a smaller boat, so we had a group of about 10 or 15 people. We did not have to wear life vests like the bigger boats with the ship excursions. I would have been upset if I had to wear one since we were in about 4 ft of water! I guess the ships' excursions do it for liability reasons. You can find Moby Dick tours on the internet.

Thanks for the info on "Moby Dick" I have heard alot of good things about this tour. I do not like to wear life vest so I know how you feel.

• 3 years later...

My daughters and I are booked on this tour and we are scared but excited. I love marine animals but stingray sort of creep me out...but I am doing it anyway! Wish it was dolphins but that price is a bit steep. Do they give you lifevests for the snorkle part of the tour? I hope cause I want to relax while snorkeling and not have to worry about treading water.

Do they drop you off at the Seven Mile Beach if you want when the tour is finished? Do you think that is safe?

Frommers and the cruise critic "voted best" both state that the Atlantis Submarine is one of the best three things to do in Cayman. We'll be doing it in February. Main reason, I don't scuba dive, husband does, we both want to see what's "under the sea" together. Not cheap, but a once in a life time thing.

Have fun, and happy sailing!:)

Archived