St Martin and St Thomas

Looking for some info from cruisers who sailed the Eastern.

Shopping best in St Martin or St Thomas.

Most interested in front street...

Is shopping walking distance from ship, should you rent a car or taxi?

Heard cigarettes were cheap, 10-$11.00 carton (St Martin or St Thomas)?

Thinking of booking an excurstion but not sure what is best.

thanks for your input.

June Sail date 9/8/06

We went to those islands in 6/03, St maarten was our first stop and the prices on Front St were fantastic. Cigs, liquor and Jewelry. However we did not buy anything there because we thought that the prices would get better in later stops, ie, St Thomas. Well, we did not purchase anything there because we found their prices much higher. Specifically jewelry, I was looking for Mikimoto pearls. So the following year, we went back and did all our shopping in St Maarten. DH and I were just talking about it again and we will probably go back again next year. We will book it on our cruise this december so we can get our OBC. As for walking to Font St, I would suggest a Taxi. They have many going there (mini vans) I think they charged 2-3 dollars per person. If you don't plan on going anywhere else then don't rent a car. I never did because we spent all our time on Front St. (lots of shops, beach, restaurants) Taxi's are readily available to head back to ship. We are looking foward to going back because last time we were there they were fixing up the street, it looks really nice now from pictures I have seen. Have a great trip, St Maarten is our Favorite island so far in the Caribbean. :)

When you arrive at St Maarten (Dutch side) they have a large docking area (used to be a tender port). There are several shops right at the end of the pier, but if you want to go into the downtown area, you'll have to walk it, take a taxi, or take a water taxi right from the pier. I think the water taxi is $5 per person for a round trip. In St Thomas, you'll probably dock at the Havensight Mall where there are lots of shops right at the pier. However, if you want to go into Charlotte Amalie, you can either walk it (about a mile or so around the bay) or take a taxi which I believe is $4 per person each way.

We used to walk into town all the time since the traffic is brutal and it's a slow trip by taxi in and out of town. But it can get mighty hot in the St Thomas sun so we don't walk in anymore. ;)

We love both St. Thomas and St. Maartin. I personally think shopping in town is best at St. Thomas - take a cab over (not very expensive from what I remember). There is a local vendor area selling different items, and then lots of jewelry and gift stores around the town.

In St. Maartin you will take a water taxi over to one end or the other of the main drag. Beer is cheap - $1 from what I remember, and there is a beach right where you get off the water taxi where you can rent an umbrella and chairs if you want. Shopping there is actually my favorite for jewelry, and last time we were there they were in the middle of doing a great deal of renovation on their main street area and it was looking really nice.

We don't smoke, so can't help you out with that.

The Eastern is my favorite caribbean itinerary - have a great time!

It is very important to know your prices, especially if you are thinking about buying camera equipment or electronics. Some people have found that they could have gotten those so called bargains for less at home in a discount store or online.

The water taxi is a great alternative to travel from the cruise ship pier in St. Maarten to downtown and I believe you can get an all day pass if you think you will be going back and forth more than once from the ship.

We did the BOB adventure in St. Thomas and really enjoyed a unique experience. In St. Maarten we had a great time on the America's Cup excursion. I recommend both quite highly.

At the port, take the Water Taxi for $5.00 roundtrip unlimited rides and get off at the first stop. St. Maarten's revitalization is complete and Front St. is wonderful...There are plenty of shops and it all depends on what you are looking for. Know your prices before you go so you can compare. Don't leave without sampling a guavaberry colada:D .

In St. Thomas take Godfrey's tour: http://godfreytoursvi.com/, the website says it all and it was one of the best tours we ever took. St. Maarten and St. Thomas are our favorite ports and we try to go there at least once a year...Any other questions, ask away...Later, Jill:cool:

Find out how much things are state side and tyry to compare quality.

We love to shop St Martin and have a couple "special " shops we go to for

Items not available state side just a personal observation- the reccomended shops are not usually the best deal if you want the best deal when the shop owner asks what ship you are on -- I always tell them I'm not an a ship.

In St Thomas there is an incredible jewlery store we go to-- not cheap by any means but the Items are all one of a kind . In general it depends what you are looking for just remember you can do a lot better if you know

how much it cost at home, set a limit you will pay, use cash , and the

number one negotiating tool-- don't be afraid to walk away--In. St Martin

the jewlers mostly work together and send runners between the stores,

and there is plenty of yardage in their prices .

The worst cruise I was ever on was fantastic

John

Find out how much things are state side and tyry to compare quality.

We love to shop St Martin and have a couple "special " shops we go to for

Items not available state side just a personal observation- the reccomended shops are not usually the best deal if you want the best deal when the shop owner asks what ship you are on -- I always tell them I'm not an a ship.

In St Thomas there is an incredible jewlery store we go to-- not cheap by any means but the Items are all one of a kind . In general it depends what you are looking for just remember you can do a lot better if you know

how much it cost at home, set a limit you will pay, use cash , and the

number one negotiating tool-- don't be afraid to walk away--In. St Martin

the jewlers mostly work together and send runners between the stores,

and there is plenty of yardage in their prices .

The worst cruise I was ever on was fantastic

John

thanks for your input.

June Sail date 9/8/06

Peanut-just got off the Mariner this morning and as far as liquor goes,St.Maarten was 10-20% cheaper in every catagory..I.E.Bailey's (SM)-$12.95,St.Thomas $15.95,Absolute Vodka (SM)-$7.95,$9.95 (ST)..Grand Marnier $17.95 in SM,$ 24.95 in ST.....pretty big differences.....when you get into the town of Phillipsburg,go LEFT on Front St. after you pass the stores at the pier ..GULMOHAR'S in St.Maarten is very cheap,and on St.Thomas A.H.RIISE is considered tops along with DYNASTY DAZZLERS and both will deliver your booze to your ship if before 3 PM.....I don't know about cigs,but buy your alcohol in St.Maarten!!

Big Al

thanks for your input.

June Sail date 9/8/06

I loved shopping in both....I bought cigarettes for $8.00 a carton, somewhere in St. Maarten. I also bought all kinds of nice gifts for little to nothing...you'll love both Islands.

Do you remember rum prices? I guess I still like Bacardi the best but Puerto rico isn't on this itinerary. I'm willing to try some other brand. Any suggestions? Also, Do you remember crown royal prices between the two?

One of our favorite excursions is the America's Cup Regatta which you can only book through the ship. It is rated the best excursion in the Caribbean. We had such a great time being the crew of the Stars and Stripes and beating the other cruisers crewing True North! Here is a link to pictures from that excursion.

Do you remember rum prices? I guess I still like Bacardi the best but Puerto rico isn't on this itinerary. I'm willing to try some other brand. Any suggestions? Also, Do you remember crown royal prices between the two?

I cannot remember specifically the prices for rum, I know that we purchased Crown Royal, Grey Goose, Grand Marnier and something else...I know it was rum....I can't remember the prices...I think we got it from St. Thomas.

Was in St. Martin beginning of August. Liquor is very cheap there. You are allowed 4- 1 liter bottles per person. Cigarettes were very cheap also. Found Marlboros - 5 cartons for $45.00. You are allowed 5 cartons per person.

Getting those bottles home may be a bit of a problem since you won't be able to carry them onto your flight and will have to pack them in your checked luggage or check them. If this ban on bringing liquids onboard aircraft becomes permanent, I imagine duty free shops and perfume and liquor shops will have to offer some sort of shipping option, which could negate any savings you might get.:(

Getting those bottles home may be a bit of a problem since you won't be able to carry them onto your flight and will have to pack them in your checked luggage or check them. If this ban on bringing liquids onboard aircraft becomes permanent, I imagine duty free shops and perfume and liquor shops will have to offer some sort of shipping option, which could negate any savings you might get.:(

Can anyone say "Road Trip!"...... I knew I liked driving better than flying. :D

5 cartons for 45.00, remember the name of the store?.

Cant even by a carton in NJ for that price.

hahahaha

Was in St. Martin beginning of August. Liquor is very cheap there. You are allowed 4- 1 liter bottles per person. Cigarettes were very cheap also. Found Marlboros - 5 cartons for $45.00. You are allowed 5 cartons per person.

Another question, aloud 4-1 liter bottles and 5 cartons PP.

You actually get away with that when you sail back to NJ.

I thought it was 200 cigs.

Im new to the eastern carib. I like this already.

thanks

It could have been St. Thomas where I bought them. I was told that you could bring back 5 cartons per person if you go the US Virgin Islands. I don't remember the name of the store, but I do know that we also bought liquor there too. We didn't have problems with the liquor either as we drove to the port.

BTW-We were on Explorer of the Seas and had a blast. This was also our first cruise ever!!!!!

Archived