Charleston Majesty in Dec- Boarding Times and Parking deals

jentroubles

Woo hooo....four months and counting till the New Year's cruise.

As my friends are getting antsy-- a few questions.

What time do you recommend getting to the pier for the Majesty (we were atually WAY too early and ended up waiting....)

Also, I've been reading some people's comments about staying over at a local hotel and parking for free for the week. Any suggestions on hotels? Which are affordable but nice and which are the fleabags???

Also--what are some good hotspots for a night before on the town!

I can help you with the hotel and parking at a hotel for the duration of your cruise. We are sailing on the Majesty 12/23-12/30. I found two hotels who were both very willing to allow us to stay parked at their hotel during the cruise:

Charleston Airport Radisson has a "cruise package" -- we (me, DH, DS) are staying at their hotel the night before the cruise, paying $115 + tax, which includes breakfast, parking for the week, and roundtrip shuttle to and from the port.

Holiday Inn Mt. Pleasant - they had a room available for $80 (no breakfast, no shuttle), and would allow us to park at their hotel for the week at no additional charge. A taxi to and from the port would cost approx. $15 one-way (which includes the tip).

I can help you with the hotel and parking at a hotel for the duration of your cruise. We are sailing on the Majesty 12/23-12/30. I found two hotels who were both very willing to allow us to stay parked at their hotel during the cruise:

Charleston Airport Radisson has a "cruise package" -- we (me, DH, DS) are staying at their hotel the night before the cruise, paying $115 + tax, which includes breakfast, parking for the week, and roundtrip shuttle to and from the port.

Holiday Inn Mt. Pleasant - they had a room available for $80 (no breakfast, no shuttle), and would allow us to park at their hotel for the week at no additional charge. A taxi to and from the port would cost approx. $15 one-way (which includes the tip).

I have not sailed the majesty yet, but will be in jan 07', but am pretty familiar with the charleston area. Your best bet bar none is staying in Mt. pleasant, the prices here are very reasonable, and less than a 10 min drive to the dock, much closer than the charleston airport. Staying in charleston itself can be a bit tricky, if you want to be near historic downtown, and the pier, be prepared to spend a good amount of money, because the lower priced places are usually located in pretty rough areas,(many of the budget priced places use their proximity to historic charleston, to attract tourist, and are usually in bad areas, and poorly maintained) believe it or not beautiful historic charleston, borders a pretty rundown section of town.

A friend of mine who is a travel agent will only book someone near historic charleston, if they are willing to pay for a nicer hotel, otherwise he strongly suggests Mt. Pleasant. Mt. pleasant is directly across the river from charleston, as soon as you drive off the bridge there is a variety of lodging, to the right of the bridge as you are entering mt. pleasant is the Patriots Point area, where you can tour the Yourktown aircraft carrier, and there is some lodging there, and may be your best bet to see the majesty as she pulls in to port. I will be researching lodging in the area too, and maybe there will be a shuttle to the pier and free parking:D.

also it is really easy to get around mt. pleasant, everything is pretty much on one strip, which makes it easier if you need to get some last minute items, or find a place to eat, there are lots of places to eat here.

hope this makes your search easier,

MAC

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info ... my DH and I are on the same cruise and will be at the same hotel. See ya!

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked at the Holiday Inn Riverview for our New Year's cruise. The rate is about $109 and they do have a shuttle that will take you to the port. They also have a shuttle that makes runs to the historic district on a regular basis. The view from the rooftop restaurant is well worth a trip up there and the foods not bad either.

Archived