Most discussed topic

dam1050

Which Single Topic do you Find Most Discussed ?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which Single Topic do you Find Most Discussed ?

• Attire
    • Food
    • Itineraries
    • Liquor
    • Ships
    • Tipping

:)

For a while it seemed that everyone was talking about the new tipping policy.

But now That I have read a couple of posts this morning - it seems that the topic is alcohol, who is and isn't smuggling alcohol on board, who needs a drink in their cabin before they go out to a lounge for a drink, etc.

I really like to read ship reviews posted by real passengers. I also like when questions are answered and tour or shopping advice is given for ports of call.

I don't care for the opinions on liquor or formal attire and will not read those threads.

The most popular question asked by new cruisers is the dress issue. It starts out a simple question and ends up being canceled by the host.

Other topics listed come and go.

It varies, based upon the moods and attitudes of the people on this board. Attire is certainly close to the top, if not THE top, discussed topic, although tipping gets close in terms of questions from people who are new to cruising. At least, that's my observation.

Recently, the longest threads seem to be about booze smuggling.

Tipping seems to be a HAL topic as other lines never had that "no tipping required" policy. Since HAL has joined others in adding a certain amount to your bill this topic will not be as hot as in the past or at least once they get the kinks out of it. Seems to be still a hot topic because HAL is not forthcoming on exactly how they divide up your forced tip. Not sure other lines to either for that matter.

It's really unbelievable how fired up everyone has gotten!

Well, not everyone. But ... yes ... it is quite unbelievable. Before it happened I wouldn't have guessed that people could get so "hot" about this subject.

Seems some folks have come aboard and taken a very argumentative stance on things. Therefore, the liquor thing has become hot. I just backed out of it all. No sense. Momma always said, "Never get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man." :D

I just backed out of it all. No sense.

I avoided it for a while myself, and only remarked after someone asked me, via email, to comment on the subject. Frankly, I could care less if people bring it aboard, order it in their room, or only drink in lounges. Personally, I don't feel comfortable with breaking rules by smuggling it aboard, but I'm not called to be everyone's police-person ... just my own.

I assume there are several reasons why people sneak booze aboard: convenience of keeping it in one's cabin, the cost of purchasing from ship's services, the volume one drinks, the thrill of "beating the system," just to name a few. Only one or two of these reasons might lead another to think that certain smugglers are over-drinkers (hence my mother's remark ... and the LIMIT to which her remark can be reasonably applied to any given person). For the others ... as I said in my second post on the thread on booze smuggling, that's between themselves and their God (or, if they don't believe in God, their moral center). As for me ... I'll order my gin and tonic from ship's service or drink in the lounges. It's easier, costs about the same, and doesn't involve me having to violate my conscious. When I said this, last time, I was told I had a lot to learn. Well ... that's another person's opinion, it certainly isn't mine.

I wonder what our next "hot" topic will be. Anyone wanna place bets on it being something OTHER than the top 3 traditional topics?

Tipping was a huge issue for awhile. Attire always comes in high on the list. But the thread on smuggling liquor has really taken the lead as of today. It's really unbelievable how fired up everyone has gotten!!!:D

I think it's hilarious!:D

All the above!!! But lately it seems to have turned toward all the alcohol smuggling.

I'm glad I don't drink anymore! No, I'm not a friend of Bill W.!:p

Happy Sailing!!

Romy

There are two subjects that I'll never get caught-up again on. One is the clothes merry-go-round.

The other is when they wine about the people in suites not getting enough special attention.

Help subjects are great, and there is also a fine sense of humor among many HAL cruisers.

Just stay away from the clothes and the perks for suites subjects: Nice people change on those threads. And not for the good.

Bringing liquor to your room, in your luggage, seems to be a hot topic. I suspect it will be for some time to come.

Tipping is on the way out. I think the basic reason for that subject's popularity was some people wanted to tell other people how much they tipped.

:D Right now it is looking like no one much cares where they are going as long as they are dressed nicely and tip appropriately!

How come no one ever tipped me when I dressed nicely? :D

Looks like I've - thankfully - missed out on some long-established Board animosities. I sure hope that the HAL Board doesn't end up like the Princess Board, with it's few self-proclaimed post-rackers and "leaders"! I like HAL - always have. I don't know personalities on this Board very well, but do know that there are some very well-informed HAL cruisers here, and some good senses of humor. I've felt very welcome here since becoming a member, and revneal has been very nice to me, since my sense of humor is a bit "whacky"!! Have a nice day, all.

Archived