rumor on Princess HC cabins

Umbarger

I heard that pax that travel with scooters on Princess are now being made to book HC cabins. Apparently, Princess doesn't want the scooters parked in the hallway and don't want to find a place for them.

I know alot of people who travel with scooters but don't book HC cabins. They just cant walk long distances but can maneuver around a regular cabin just fine. I think this is terrible of Princess to take a HC cabin just to park a scooter. How in the world are pax confined to wheelchairs ever have a hope of cruising.

Anyone know if this is true?

Most all cruiselines do not allow you to block the hallways with a scooter. It makes it very hard for those of us in wheelchairs and walkers to get around the room steward's carts in the hallway without also trying to get around the scooters. We book a year ahead for a HC cabin, but I have also seen them available after final payment is due to the public if they have not all been booked. I really don't think it is just Princess that does not allow the hallways to be blocked. :cool:

I've never seen a scooter in the hallways on any of the cruises I've ever been on and can't imagine they would allow it. Seems to me that a scooter in the hall could be a potential danger in the event of a fire, or other problem that would call for a quick evacuation.

While no one in our cruising party has the need for a scooter, I can say that I've stayed on a variety of decks and have yet to come across a scooter in the hallway parked. In addition, doesn't it need to be plugged into charge? maybe showing my ignorance here... but what previous accomodations were made for you?

Personally, I'd call Princess speak to a rep. and clarify this. I had (maybe erroneounsly) assumed that scooters were parked in rooms. One for the fear of loss, two for charging purposes.

With such an active "older" population it would seem that a standard policy for convienence exists, plus there must be access for the handicapped population. Surely the cruiseline would be welcoming your business instead of impeding upon it!

Please contact your Princess rep and clarify this. But again I have yet to EVER see a scooter parked in the hallways, so there should be accomodations for you:confused:

carol

We have been on the Enchantment twice and both times we had a passenger near us who parked their scooter in the hall, just outside their door. And, yes, it is bery difficult for others to maneuver the halls. My hubby uses a Rally but we always get a HC due to his need for one, but leaving them in the halls is a bad idea. Besides, believe me, we have witnessed so many attempts of people walking up and jumping on my hubby's to "take a little ride". We never leave his scooter unattended, and last year on the Enchantment we were sitting in the theater with the scooter parked right beside us and a drunk actually jumped on it started punching all the buttons before we could open our mouths. Another time, same scenario, so my husband folded the seat down to hopefully discourage anyone from doing the same thing, and unbelieveably, a guy ran over and sat down on the folded seat and, yep, he broke it. Then got really ticked off because my husband was furious and let him know it in a heartbeat. He just shrugged and walked off complaining about us being crabby. Be very careful!

I realize parking the scooter in the hallway is dangerous in case of an emergency etc. However, the steward used to find a place for the scooter if it didnt fit in a regular cabin or you could keep it at the pursers desk. I know this is the case on other cruise lines. However, I heard someone called Princess to book, agent found out they had a scooter and made them book a HC room. I was just wondering if this is the case now.

I have traveled Princess twice with a scooter and did not have a handicapped cabin. I parked in an alcove near the elevator which did not block any hallways. I too think taking a handicapped cabin just to store a scooter is wrong. Hope they haven't changed this policy.

Hey Umbarger I think this is a very important post.

More and more people are using scooters as the baby boomers age.

If all of them get forced into handicap cabins, that sabotages chances of people who really need HC cabins being able to get one. Very serious.

I agree there is just no way they can be in the hallway. Foldup wheelchair ok, but a scooter forget it.

So where to put them?

Cruiselines must find a place for scooters.

If they don't, that is the end of handicap cabin access for people who need them.

Hey Umbarger I think this is a very important post.

More and more people are using scooters as the baby boomers age.

If all of them get forced into handicap cabins, that sabotages chances of people who really need HC cabins being able to get one. Very serious.

I agree there is just no way they can be in the hallway. Foldup wheelchair ok, but a scooter forget it.

So where to put them?

Cruiselines must find a place for scooters.

If they don't, that is the end of handicap cabin access for people who need them.

Thank you, MikeKaye! :D My thoughts exactly!

some of the smaller travel scooters can fit in the accessible cabins. Best bet is to call the cruise line and ask the door clearance of the standard cabins. If you scooter will fit through it, they won't have a problem with you booking a standard cabin. If not, then maybe a travel scooter would be a better optin for the cruise.

Yes, it is a huge problem having scooters in the hallways. Most of the lines do not allow this. Actually it is a safety issue (enforced by the coast guard) as well as a pathway access issue.

That's one reason I asked the access board (in my comments on the proposed regulations) to require all newly built ships to have wide entrance doorways (just like hotels) even if they don't have any other access features. But the cruise industry shot that one down in a nanosecond.

Candy

Archived