QM2 MED CRUISE 30th JULY

trams

We had an enjoyable cruise on QM2 from 3oth July to 11 August.

Like most people we found the crew very helpful especialy the Princes Grill Waiters. My only exception to this was the Pursers Staff some of which we found rude and unhelpfull.

We also found the ship spotless, the food superb (PG now has an A La Carte menu and if you give 24 hrs warning you can eat "off menu". Ask for the excellent Beef Wellington), daily programme varied & interesting but the theatre shows could have had a bit more variety.

Shore trips were overpriced.

I looked forward to the big band dance night in the Queens Room but it was a big dissapointment as the the volume (amplification) was far to loud which drowned out the vocalist. I would have thought the sound crew could have done a better job.

Another annoyance was the people who used the Pronenade Deck (7) as a running track. If you had the gaul to take a leisurely walk you were given a loud "out of the way". There was a well equiped Gymnasium where these people could exercise on a range of machines without racing round the deck.

Apart from a couple of niggles this was a suprb maiden cruise.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your first trip on QE2. I agree the joggers can be a bit of a pain but so are the people who 'park' their loungers mid way across the deck to avoid shade and the folks who wander down the centre when I need a brisk walk on deck!

I am sorry that you found the Pursers Office not as you wished. I had a problem on a recent cruise in early August and it was dealt with politely, quickly and with humour. Whilst at the desk I witnessed a horrendous scene when they had to calm a female passenger who was ranting at the girl behind the desk and shouting/screaming at her in a extremly threateningly way. I was full of admiration for the way they endevoured to find out what point she was trying to make rather than hiding under the counter!

After 16 trips on her I still return full of admiration for the dedication of all staff on board - when I sit and watch them working so hard, sometimes dealing with rather awkward passengers I see that nothing is too much trouble.

Iannp

We only went on two Cunard organised trips ashore, Barcelona & Cannes. In barcelona we went on the "panoramic Barcelona" tour which was Ok but I was not impressed by the city, perhaps they showed us the wrong parts.

The trip to Cannes was much better, although not cheap we went on the St Paul De Vence trip in the afternoon after exploring Cannes on our own in the morning.

We did not go into Rome as we felt it would be a long hot day, in retrospect I think we should have booked the September voyage. Did not go into Florence as we had been before so spent time in Livorno and had a boat trip around Little Venice. Did our own thing in Vigo & Lisbon.

I would advise you make your own arrangements in Gibralta. We Shared a taxi with 4 other passengers and for 30USD we had a tour of the rock including entrance to the caves & siege tunnels, made friends with the Apes. Our taxi took us close to the entances where the Cunard buses could not reach so we did not have to do so much walking, it was very hot and that rock sure is steep.

Whatever you do I am sure you will enjoy every minute, the QM2 is a magnificent ship.

(

Hi I was on that same cruise and here are a few excursions I reccommend. In Vigo did the one for Santiago De Compostela which is a gorgeous cathedral. In Barcelona we did the one for PICASSO MUSEUM & THE GOTHIC QUARTER which I enjoyed which also included the Cathedral of Barcelona In Cannes we did the one for

THE TOTAL RIVIERA EXPERIENCE which is 9 hours and included Nice Monte Carlo Monnaco and a very nice lunch. In CIVITAVECCHIA we did the one for

ROMAN LANDMARKS which included St Peter's Bascillica and the Coleseum. St Peter's should not be missed it is just incredible. This tour was also 9 hours since it takes 1 1/2 hours to get there and the same to come back. In LIVORNO (FLORENCE) we did LUCCA & PISA - MEDIEVAL TOWNS OF TUSCANY Lucca was ok But Pisa was marvelous. So if you want there is one just to Pisa In Gibraltar we just went into eown shopping. In Lisbon we did THE PALACE OF QUELUZ & THE BAY OF CASCAIS The Palace was spectacular. Just remember these are just suggestions but I hope it helped.

Interested to read above comments about Lucca and Pisa. Went to Lucca but not Pisa a few years ago whilst on QE2. We thought Lucca was fantastic -not too touristy and crowded. A maze of streets and interesting shops and historic buildings - some amazing churches, city walls to walk etc.

Thank you for the comments. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I know someone who is taking this trip next year and she too is interested in other's experiences.

We did Med cruise in June, and at a lot of ports we were told to take our passports, but we never had to show them to any official on our return through the terminals. That being said make sure you always have your cruise card.

We also did Pisa it was great. We also met people who did a Tuscan wine tour to a villa and had way to much food and wine, they really enjoyed it. We did Rome on our own, took the train from the port and taxis to The Vatican and St. Peters also went to the coleseum, the train was about 75 minutes each way. We did a Cunard tour at all the ports except Rome. I thought the tours were expensive, but then again the entire trip was expensive.

We had a great time overall enjoyed the ship and much of its amenities.

Joel

Archived