Is a Balcony worth the $600 more than window??

jmd2189

Great question! I have read over the years that people bring bungie type cords to hold their balcony doors open so they can sleep with the fresh air. Some have listed it as a reason to bring duct tape! People definitely sleep with them open all the time!

The other school of thought which I just read recently following the Princess balcony fires....it could be unsafe.:o I personally would still do it...but since you asked.....:rolleyes:

Great question! I have read over the years that people bring bungie type cords to hold their balcony doors open so they can sleep with the fresh air. Some have listed it as a reason to bring duct tape! People definitely sleep with them open all the time!

The other school of thought which I just read recently following the Princess balcony fires....it could be unsafe.:o I personally would still do it...but since you asked.....:rolleyes:

Thank you for your nice reply on the Turkey Thread!

I am not familar with the Princess fires, could you enlighten me, or direct me to a link.

I just want to make this a special time for my wife as it has been such a heart rending tour for her this time around.

I want it to be a time of total relaxation, and fun!

So any special touches you can think of that I can do for her would mean a lot to me.:)

We always get a window as sort of a compromise. Yes, the inside is cheaper, but I really like looking out the window and seeing the ocean. I do like the window better when it is not behind the bed, as on our Celebrity cruises on Summit and Galaxy. RCI cabins have had it behind the bed. We really don't spend much time in the room, so it seems like an unnecessary expense to us to pay the balcony difference. Lets face it $600 or $700 would buy a lot of excursions, souveniers, and other extras. Of course, if we ever got a free upgrade, we wouldn't refuse it. ;)

I don't know about others' experiences as far as light showing through the window, but we have never had a problem, even in Alaska and Norway where it's never dark in the summer. As long as you pull the draperies all the way shut, it is totally dark. I usually peeked out the window when I got up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night on our last cruise and sometimes the light was almost blinding even at 3 AM, but with the draperies closed, there was NO light.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords +3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

Thanks for the comment, Magellan. I'm afraid that thread on Turkey has really lost its appeal!:rolleyes: You got to see first hand how posts turn ugly occasionally for no reason!

I have to say, the Princess fire was a fluke and people have been opening their balconies at night since the invention of balconies. I guess that when that fire broke out on someone's balcony (the cause was said to be a smoldering cigarette) it spread very quickly and the only cabins that sustained inside damage were those that had their doors open. Still no one was injured. With all your wife is up against, no need to give that a second thought. Sorry I mentioned it, actually.

As to special touches...just being there with you will be magical in itself!

We like to bring an ipod with our favorite music and the little speaker system to listen to on the balcony...a sentimental song collection would be very romantic with new songs to remember later!

Ordering flowers through the ship for the cabin would be nice. They'd be there waiting for her with a message from you.

A novel by her favorite author. A small photo album of what you've been up to and what's gone on at home while she was away. How about a journal about how you put this trip together?!

Jewelry:D

Hope someone else has some more ideas!

By the way, welcome to the boards...the good, bad and occasionally the ugly!:cool:

We recently got back from an Alaskan cruise. A balcony wouldn't have been a good investment because the weather wasn't great and we couldn't see the scenery too well. There were some balconies on the Mercury that we could look down into from an upper deck by simply walking along one deck up. (The balconies hung out further than the deck we were on.) So if you want privacy you might want to plan accordingly.

I was wondering if the experienced cruisers could advise if it is safe to sleep with the balcony doors open? This is a first cruise for us and we have booked a room with a balcony.

Yes, absolutely! Unless the balcony is like many on the Princess ships (completely exposed), I love to hear the waves at night.

We are going to go on Celebrity Millennium in March of next year and are going to book soon - we were just wondering from people if it is worth getting a balcony room verse window (ocean view)? It is $300 pp - $600 per couple more. We had balcony last time and loved it - but never had a window and are wondering if people out their could give us opinions that had both. We don't think we would consider an inside stateroom because we don't want seperate beds and no natural light at all. Let us know your opinions and what you think on the matter?? Thanks!

You know, that depends on your finances. If you have no problem going out to dinner and spending $75 or more every week and even 2 or 3 times a week, I would say $600 is no big deal and go for the balcony. On the other hand there are many who have to watch their money closely and a cruise itself is a treat.

We have done it all- inside, oceanview, obstructed oceanaview, atruim, (RCCL voyager class) and balcony-we love balconies and we usually go for them-but if we could not afford to cruise unless we saved the $600-yes-then we would go for the oceanview-yes balconies are WONDERFUL-but I can also go up on the lido and share my view with others if need be!

Oh yes!!!! I have not done it all, I guess-I have never had a suite-but I would not turn down one if the upgrade fairy visited me!

I think 600 is a little steep for a 7 night cruise. We just had the opportunity to upgrade to a balcony for our upcoming cruise at a very reasonable price. It is my first balcony and CC class. Price is a main concern for me because I love to cruise a couple times a year. But I would not pay 600 to upgrade. I just paid about 179.00 pp to upgrade from an inside to cc class. Whatever you choose to do, have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks for the comment, Magellan. I'm afraid that thread on Turkey has really lost its appeal!:rolleyes: You got to see first hand how posts turn ugly occasionally for no reason!

As to special touches...just being there with you will be magical in itself!

We like to bring an ipod with our favorite music and the little speaker system to listen to on the balcony...a sentimental song collection would be very romantic with new songs to remember later!

Ordering flowers through the ship for the cabin would be nice. They'd be there waiting for her with a message from you.

A novel by her favorite author. A small photo album of what you've been up to and what's gone on at home while she was away. How about a journal about how you put this trip together?!

Jewelry:D

Hope someone else has some more ideas!

By the way, welcome to the boards...the good, bad and occasionally the ugly!:cool:

Thank you for your suggestions!

Jewelry was one of my first thoughts, but then I had to laugh, she is in the mid-east, 122 degrees during the day, dirty bloody 24 hour shifts, and living in a "hooch" on base. She will only be able to carry what she can put in a backpac for the helicopter fight out. (She will have to buy clothes for the trip in Rome) Great thought, but I think I may purchase something for a coming home present (maybe something she and I pick out together) and give it to her in the spring when her tour is over.:)

Actually the Ipod was a great suggestion, and I would of never thought of it on my own, she loves music and I have already started downloading some of the songs from our first year together (some 20 years ago):D As well as favorites through the years.

I have been keeping a journal ever since she left last winter, writing down my thoughts about her and stuff the kids and family are doing. So thats a good idea too.

Thank you for your input, I want her to totally forget about all the bad stuff over there and have tons of fun and time together.

The debate about Celebrity's new liquor/wine policy has made me rethink my previous post on this thread. I personally feel that there is nothing more relaxing then smelling the fresh sea air and listening to the sounds of the ocean from your own private balcony, or in your cabin itself with the door to the balcony slightly ajar. Therefore, I wouldn't think twice about spending the extra $600 because that aspect of a cruise is very important to me.

At the same time there are a lot of people who think nothing of spend more than $600 on their bar bill during a cruise, in addition to bringing wine from home, because that aspect of a cruise is very important to them. Yet a number of people who feel that wine and liquor are an essential part of their cruise experience, think that a balcony is a waste of money, while I could easily enjoy a cruise without imbibing one drink.

In short, I feel that my cruise experience would be compromised if I didn't have a private balcony, but not everyone feels that way. We all have different priorities concerning what is an important aspect of a cruise.

My rule is if I can't afford a balcony, then I can't afford the cruise. Balcony is the only way to go ........JMHO ;) I just find inside cabins gross and even with a window, there is no fresh air-YUK!!!

I guess we are gross people then...:eek:

I guess it all depends on what one can afford. I would proudly call us "balcony" people if we didn't have 3 cruise/airfare/tours to pay 2 times a year in high season, as our kid is in highschool.

On the other hand I would only pay for balcony , not for OV as presence of window itself doesn't justify spending extra money... especially because in many cases OV winows can't be opened anyway.

We were on Island Princess partial Panama transit B2B a few years ago and had a balcony on the port side. We found the sun beating down on us every morning and breakfast was rushed to get out of the heat. In May we were given a free balcony upgrade on Voyager of the Seas and loved it because the heat was not oppressive.

I have a very pragmatic approach to balconies.. Do I want to be on a ship, forced to share public space 10 cruises a year or do I want my own private cubicle 5 times a year?... I'd rather be on a ship enjoying the food, the service, dancing in the Rendezvous, the entertainment and trivia with fellow guests more than the privacy offered by a balcony..... Now if I had twice as money would I prefer to be onboard 20 times a year frugally or half as often in luxury??? We all set our own priorities. I'd rather be slumming on Celebrity more often.:rolleyes: If I want privacy I'll sit with my glass of my favorite drink of the day on my deck at home. I just think it's grand to have a choice. And as long as most people want the more expensive option, Celebrity has the best deal on insides in the cruise business.

Ist choice balcony. Like to sit sipping cocktails but, never leave the door open due to the AC. 2nd choice ocean view because I want natural light. Booked OV next cruise because I do not want to spend the extra $500pp for a balcony.

went inside once, too dark and did not like leaving TV to see the deck. Want natural light.

Call me a contrarian, a provocateur, and a curmudgeon (my wife certainly does!:)), but I'll take a chance & throw out this wildly unpopular opinion: Nothing has ruined the aethetics of ship design as much as the mania for balconies. Take a look at pictures of any of the great ocean liners of the past and you'll see what I mean. The Queen Mary, the Normandie, the Conte di Savoia, the United States, the late, lamented France (not her later incarnation as the Norway)--not a single balcony cabin on any of them. They were sleek, seaworthy, wonderful to behold. Then some bright numbers-cruncher at Carnival or one of the other lines came up with the concept of balcony cabins as a way to increase revenue. And as a result, cruise ships of the last ten or fifteen years look like nothing so much as floating condominiums.:( Harrumph!

But to answer the original question... Not surprisingly, I've never had a balcony stateroom. But only because I'm afraid I'd enjoy it so much that I'd never want to go back to a mere oceanview! Not ever having had that particular pleasure, I don't miss it. (When I want sea air, I go up on deck--although I must confess that the idea of sleeping with the balcony door open & hearing the sea appeals to the romantic in me.)

However... I'm not so much of an old fogey that I'd want to confine myself to a windowless inside cabin.:)

If you budgeting your cruise and realize that having balcony will prevent you from doing excursions you planned or (God forbid) cruising as often as you wish then it's definitely not worth it. :cool:

We cruised in Mediterranean sea several years ago and our private tours twice as much as our inside accomodations, but now that I am thinking about it I glad we were able to afford everything we planned. It was much more memorable than the time we spent inside. :)

Out of all cruises we had the only time I felt absolute need of having balcony was on Carnival Liberty... ( and that was after couple of days) There were so many people everywhere I had a panic attac :mad: and wanted to hide, but felt bad about spending time inside while cruising Caribbeans.

Call me a contrarian, a provocateur, and a curmudgeon (my wife certainly does!:)), but I'll take a chance & throw out this wildly unpopular opinion: Nothing has ruined the aethetics of ship design as much as the mania for balconies. Take a look at pictures of any of the great ocean liners of the past and you'll see what I mean. The Queen Mary, the Normandie, the Conte di Savoia, the United States, the late, lamented France (not her later incarnation as the Norway)--not a single balcony cabin on any of them. They were sleek, seaworthy, wonderful to behold. Then some bright numbers-cruncher at Carnival or one of the other lines came up with the concept of balcony cabins as a way to increase revenue. And as a result, cruise ships of the last ten or fifteen years look like nothing so much as floating condominiums.:( Harrumph!

But to answer the original question... Not surprisingly, I've never had a balcony stateroom. But only because I'm afraid I'd enjoy it so much that I'd never want to go back to a mere oceanview! Not ever having had that particular pleasure, I don't miss it. (When I want sea air, I go up on deck--although I must confess that the idea of sleeping with the balcony door open & hearing the sea appeals to the romantic in me.)

However... I'm not so much of an old fogey that I'd want to confine myself to a windowless inside cabin.:)

Hi Post Captain :)

I agree with your opinion about the negative impact that the demand for private balconies has had on the aesthetics of ship design. In fact, my husband and I recently had a discussion about the exterior beauty of the first ship we cruised on, which was over 30 years ago, vs today's ships.

At the same time, I love having a private balcony :)

Ok here is my 2 cents worth to add. We usually cruise with our 8 year old son and he likes to spend all of his time at the pool....hence the room is only a storage/sleeping/ shower place. Also if we want to take an afternoon nap it is heavenly cause you can fool your eyes into thinking it is night time in the darkness ( a nice recharge before dinner). We have done balconies and aft balconies when just us 2 and it was a treat but we both agree we would rather go 2x a year than once a year for about the same money... in other words just get us on the SHIP!

21 day and counting,

Leasa

Our decision is made on the basis of what the Balcony costs versus the cost of the Oceanview - we had an inside once and my wife said she would rather not cruise, than not have an Oceanview. We still are only Oceanview cruisers and are doing our next cruise in April of 07. I would spring for a balcony for $100 pp for a 7 day and $200 pp for an 11 day or better. I would love anything higher if it was financially feasible - (just heard of a Celecrity cruise that had a CC cabin for less than an OV) All of our cruises so far have had the Balcony Cabins priced at 400 to 500 dollers pp and frankly that pretty much covers our sea pass account at the end of the Cruise.

We're still looking at being able cruising twice a year (once is all we've been able to do so far), and if an OV makes that possible forget the Balconies.

If the upgrade fairy ever smiles on me I will thank her profusely and enjoy!~!!!!

The bottom line is - once we get to the ship to start our cruise,all I want is to get on board (Id take a lifeboat for a cabin, myself - LOL) It's the cruiseing experience thats important for me, and the great people you meet!.

Magellan, I just threw the jewelry thing in there to be cute!;) We've been married 31 years and the last jewelry I got was probably 15 years ago! I'd rather spend it on vacations!

Glad you liked the ipod idea!

I'm sorry this has been a tough time for your wife, you and your family and hope that this vacation will help ease some of the strain! My family thanks you and yours for your sacrifces for us.

So did you book the balcony?!!! All we enquiring minds want to know!:cool:

We've done inside, outside with window and balcony. If you can swing it, I'd go with the balcony. It's so nice to have the extra space and your own private area to sit outside and read, nap, watch. We have found it to be well worth the extra expense.:)

Magellan, I just threw the jewelry thing in there to be cute!;) We've been married 31 years and the last jewelry I got was probably 15 years ago! I'd rather spend it on vacations!

Glad you liked the ipod idea!

I'm sorry this has been a tough time for your wife, you and your family and hope that this vacation will help ease some of the strain! My family thanks you and yours for your sacrifces for us.

So did you book the balcony?!!! All we enquiring minds want to know!:cool:

Thank you once again for your kind remarks. Hey the jewelry is a wonderful idea! She will just have to wait until she gets home to wear it.

Yes I did book a balcony on the Sky Deck of Galaxy!:)

I talked to my wife today on the phone and we can't wait, she will be flying into Rome a couple of days before me to do all her shopping and will be waiting for me, we will spend a few days in Rome before the cruise.

I like 'em a lot... But I agree with the poster that said ships were better looking by far without them!

I also don't really miss them when I don't have one. I miss cruising more.

A few years ago a poster said 'Book the cheapest cabin on the best ships!' and cruise more. As a family guy I only cruise 1-2 times a year (usually 1 cruise, 1 ski trip) so I often talk myself into a balcony - to reward myself for paying for the kids quad. I dream of a H-W world cruise but in that instance would almost certainly go with the cheapest... Multiplying the per diem difference by 75-100 makes a balcony really look extravagent!

Have you decided where you are staying in Rome? How wonderful that she gets to shop!!!!! I LOVE that!!!! The darned Euro is a bit of show stopper though! When we were last in Rome with my parents for their 50th anniversary, my Mom was having a terrible time with her feet and had forgotten her slippers! We bought some for her in Rome (after quite a search!) and I will NEVER tell her how much those simple rubber soled terry slippers cost! LOL!!!!!! We're talking nearly $50- for what looked like $10- Walmart slippers!:eek: Do keep us informed on how all this goes!!!!!!!:cool:

Archived