Cingular cellphone service on Triumph at sea?

LIFTED-D

Cingular has the Triumph listed as a place you can call from on their World Service program, it's $1.69 a minute. Has anyone used this and does it work?

I personally haven't used the service, but I'm familiar with the company, Wireless Maritime Services. It should work as long as you have International roaming enabled on your account.

FYI, Cingular charges for voicemail messages deposited and retrieved while roaming internationally. (Even if your phone is off.)

Hugh

We were on the Conquest this past January and we used our Cingular phone several times. The only thing is I had international calling put on my plan while I was on the cruise and that made it only cost 49 cents a minute from all of my ports and while we were at sea. I had the international calling removed when we got home. It worked great my bill really was not any higher than normal.

I thought one of the main reasons for going on a cruise was to get away from @#&% cell phones!

Some of us may need to check on the kids whom we left with Grandma while we are gone. Thats the only reason I would use it.

NO ONE is that important. What did you do BEFORE this service was available?

Well, some of us might think our kids are that important. ;) Maybe they didn't leave their kids at home before??

I personally LIKE not having cell phone service while I cruise, but sometimes emergencies do come up.

I know that in 02' I made a call from the phone in our Cabin to neighbor's since I had just seen a news release on CNN that Tornadoes had hit somewhere and then realized it was in our Area .

The call was NOT Cheap , but it did not matter @ the time .

It will get your attention :eek: when you just happen to recognize everything that is being shown from a disaster scene since it is in the area where you live .

Our home was ok, but some of our neighbors got a couple of feet of water in their home from all the rain it created .

Well, some of us might think our kids are that important. ;) Maybe they didn't leave their kids at home before??

I personally LIKE not having cell phone service while I cruise, but sometimes emergencies do come up.

Of course they do. And that's what ship-to-shore is for. Personally, I hope they raise it to $20 a minute, then we'd see exactly how "essential" they are.

Hey now!

My son is 16 and this is the second time we will be leaving him home alone with my parents living down the street. I DEFINITELY will be calling to check on him even though he is a good kid, just for my peace of mind, to know all is well and no dire circumstances have arisen. Have son in college as well and like the idea of him being able to get straight to me only in an emergency. Also, my father is 82 and my mom is 77, my aunt is 87 (I am her caretaker and I will check on them as well. They are all very important to me. Oh. My dog is Miss Killer and I would check on her as well but she does not know how to hold the phone to her ear... yet.

I know ship phones are available but they are quite expensive and it may be a bit of time before I returned to my cabin. Thank GOD for cell phones when we need them! For the record, I wish it was a law not to talk while in the car or in restaurants. Can't stand that! I don't like to use mine unless I have to, but am so glad I have the ability in situations like going out of town and other necessary times.

Just my two cents worth... Just wait till you have teenagers. :)

NO ONE is that important. What did you do BEFORE this service was available?

No one is that important? :confused: My kids are. The last time we cruised we didnt have kids.

Just a curious question..

If you are at sea and you get an emergency call-- what can you do about it?

In past cruises I tell people dont even call me even if its an emergency as I cant do nothing about anything until i get home anyways.

If an emergency comes up-- how do you get home? I am sure the airfare from those places will be costly buying a tthe last minute.

Most people only have birth certificates to cruise= so not having a passport wont help either.

so back to my original nosey kinda question.. If you are at sea and get an emergency call-- what can you do about it?

No one is that important? :confused: My kids are. The last time we cruised we didnt have kids.

Correct. No one is that important. If there's an emergency at home, they can get you by calling the ship. If you need to call them, you can call them from the ship. Why must it be on a cell phone?

Correct. No one is that important. If there's an emergency at home, they can get you by calling the ship. If you need to call them, you can call them from the ship. Why must it be on a cell phone?

I'm not sure why you are so concerned about me using a cell phone in an emergency. I would think that would be the quickest way to reach me or for me to reach someone. I centainly would make sure my emergency cell phone use(if needed) wouldnt ruin your cruise.

Just a curious question..

If you are at sea and you get an emergency call-- what can you do about it?

In past cruises I tell people dont even call me even if its an emergency as I cant do nothing about anything until i get home anyways.

If an emergency comes up-- how do you get home? I am sure the airfare from those places will be costly buying a tthe last minute.

Most people only have birth certificates to cruise= so not having a passport wont help either.

so back to my original nosey kinda question.. If you are at sea and get an emergency call-- what can you do about it?

If I had to I would fly home at the next port. I'm not talking if the cat died or something like that. I do have a passport.

I'm not sure why you are so concerned about me using a cell phone in an emergency. I would think that would be the quickest way to reach me or for me to reach someone. I centainly would make sure my emergancy cell phone use(if needed) wouldnt ruin your cruise.

Really? The only way to do that would be to NOT TURN IT ON. That kind of defeats the whole concept of the "quickest way to reach you", doesn't it?

Really? The only way to do that would be to NOT TURN IT ON. That kind of defeats the whole concept of the "quickest way to reach you", doesn't it?

You got me there.

We added international roaming for our Triumph cruise in June. All OK until we got the bill.. We did not use it much and only while in port, not the sat system they offer at a higher price while at sea. I will say this, next cruise, I am on vacation, phone stays in the suitcase turned OFF until I get off the boat.:eek:

No further comments from me on this except for this. I am done. To each his own. Hope no one out there has an emergency, cell phone or not. We all have our own opinions, thank goodness.

Okay. Let's say one of my elderly folks passed away. I would be scrambling asap to find a flight back (with my passport) the moment someone called me.

Let's say one of my teens was in a serious accident of some sort. I would be scrambling asap to find a flight back (with my passport).

And Serene, no amount of money for a ticket would keep me away if my family needed me immediately in a true emergency.

Yes. They certainly could call me via ship, but my phone is right with me wherever I go and I care enough to want it that way. I can call anyone via ship phone but why pay so much if I have phone of my own?

Archived