Charge for Indoor Pool

bulgargirl

I understand your point, but I don't agree. I wouldn't mind slight increases to keep up with inflation and everything else. But I'm paying more for my room than I would for an all-inclusive stay in mexico. I figure that the rates for cruise ships and all-inclusive hotels should be --- not the same, but comparable.

Like I said, I'm not that annoyed by the charge, just a little. But if it's more because people were abusing the use of the pool and having rules just wasn't cutting it - then I'm better with the idea. But wouldn't that be solved even with a $5 per day charge or something?

As a TA that books lots of all inclusives in Mexico I am surprised to hear you are paying more for your cruise unless you have a suite. I have 2 families that have done the Mexico thing in the past few months: 1 couple paid about $800 per person for the Iberostar (4 days) and the other, a family of 4 paid about $2000 for 4 days at the Moon Palace. Both parites had a great time and would go back in a second but still say cruising is a better value because they see more, have more entertainment, they feel better dining room service and more activities. of course we all know all inclusives have improved throughout the years and the availability of booze plus no tipping make it a great family vacation. I think the difference in what one pays depends on the quality of the All inclusive and the time of the year. It really is very hard to compare sailing with any land vacations. NMNita

But I'm paying more for my room than I would for an all-inclusive stay in mexico. I figure that the rates for cruise ships and all-inclusive hotels should be --- not the same, but comparable.

How many ports did your all-inclusive hotel visit? There's a cost involved in moving a ship from Istanbul to Barcelona or Santiago to Buenos Aires.

You must be joking, I thought gas was free these days?

Gas is free! Didn't you all hear? Geesh. Where have you guys been?!?!?! ;)

No I understand what everyone is saying. I'm sure I'm going to be happy as a clam with the cruise. I was just hoping for something a tiny bit different and it really doesn't make hardly any difference to me. I wanted to check before I went -- that's all. And was commenting that IF and I repeat IF the whole reason for the charge is to keep the place serene and babysitting grandfolk out - maybe there could have been a different way?

If the problem is ad-ons to keep overall cruise price down? Sorry - I opt for paying more up front rather than getting nickle and dimed later. I am not against cruise companies making a profit because I'm pretty sure that's what they're here to do. I'm just HORRIBLE at budgeting and keeping track of my spending. I do it by purchasing trips like cruises and all inclusives to cut down on that sort of thing.

Does this make sense to anybody else that is absolutely satisfied with cruising? Not trying to sound like the squeaky wheel or complainer. I think maybe my tone is typing funny. I blame it on my smart-aleck fingers. I know it's not me....... :o

Sorry - I opt for paying more up front rather than getting nickle and dimed later.

That's all well and good, but, because we aren't going to use the spa pool, I'd rather they charge those who use it instead of raising my cruise fare. If that keeps it from being overcrowded for those who really want to use it--and are willing to pay for its use--so much the better.

That's all well and good, but, because we aren't going to use the spa pool, I'd rather they charge those who use it instead of raising my cruise fare. If that keeps it from being overcrowded for those who really want to use it--and are willing to pay for its use--so much the better.

I getcha.

I just think there's probably one thing that every person would rather not pay for. If we all paid a little bit more up front, then maybe we could all get those things that we want for free. Then again, maybe that won't work. I don't know.

I can see both sides. I still think I'm going to have fun and it isn't a big deal. And BOY am I looking forward to eating way too much and doing nothing!!!!!!!!!!! Who-hoo!!!!!!

I getcha.

I still think I'm going to have fun and it isn't a big deal. And BOY am I looking forward to eating way too much and doing nothing!!!!!!!!!!! Who-hoo!!!!!!

NO ONE can disagree with that sentiment. Have fun. Eat. Enjoy.

Please give examples other than the spa pool.

They are subtle changes. Any one of them is obviously no big deal at all. But, they are all indicative of a pattern, which is the most important thing.:

1) No more shrimp cocktail at dinner--just those puny, lousy shrimp thrown into salads

2) No more filet mignon in the inclusive restaurants

3) No more Chilean Sea bass in the inclusive restaurants

4) Initially on the Dawn, they had an employee carving fresh fruit at all meals. Now they cut up small pieces in advance

5) Initially on the Dawn, there was a nice dessert station at lunch and dinner. No more. Now on the side of the buffet, there are fewer offerings

6) on My first sailing on the Dawn, they had shrimp cocktail at the buffet on one of the evenings.

7) An absurd price increase for bingo

8) Creeping price increases for liquor

I'm sure there are more that I will think of after I post this.

ALSO, CRUISES WERE INITIALLY ABOUT BEING PAMPERED FOR A WEEK. THAT WAS THE APPEAL. BUT, IF THEY NICKEL AND DIME YOU, YOU ARE NO LONGER BEING PAMPERED. IT'S A DIFFERENT VACATION EXPERIENCE. THIS IS A MAJOR CROSS-ROADS FOR THE CRUISE INDUSTRY'S MARKETING PEOPLE. I KNOW THEY ARE SPENDING A FORTUNE ON NEW SHIPS AND HAVE HUGE DEBT SERVICE. BUT, THEY MUST MAKE A FREE-MARKET DECISION AS TO WHAT BUSINESS THEY WANT TO BE IN--THE ALL INCLUSIVE BUSINESS OR THE A LA CARTE BUSINESS.

Please give examples other than the spa pool.

They are subtle changes. Any one of them is obviously no big deal at all. But, they are all indicative of a pattern, which is the most important thing.:

1) No more shrimp cocktail at dinner--just those puny, lousy shrimp thrown into salads

4) Initially on the Dawn, they had an employee carving fresh fruit at all meals. Now they cut up small pieces in advance

5) Initially on the Dawn, there was a nice dessert station at lunch and dinner. No more. Now on the side of the buffet, there are fewer offerings

6) on My first sailing on the Dawn, they had shrimp cocktail at the buffet on one of the evenings.

I'm sure there are more that I will think of after I post this.

ALSO, CRUISES WERE INITIALLY ABOUT BEING PAMPERED FOR A WEEK. THAT WAS THE APPEAL. BUT, IF THEY NICKEL AND DIME YOU, YOU ARE NO LONGER BEING PAMPERED. IT'S A DIFFERENT VACATION EXPERIENCE. THIS IS A MAJOR CROSS-ROADS FOR THE CRUISE INDUSTRY'S MARKETING PEOPLE. I KNOW THEY ARE SPENDING A FORTUNE ON NEW SHIPS AND HAVE HUGE DEBT SERVICE. BUT, THEY MUST MAKE A FREE-MARKET DECISION AS TO WHAT BUSINESS THEY WANT TO BE IN--THE ALL INCLUSIVE BUSINESS OR THE A LA CARTE BUSINESS.

Do you really need to SHOUT! We're just vacationers like you.

NCL has decided, just like most other cruise lines, they are in the ala carte business. If you want an all inclusive cruise, book with Regent Seven Seas, Seabourn or Silversea.

7 days starting on Sep 13 from Vancouver, Canada on Regent (Radisson) / Seven Seas Mariner cheapest per passenger fare $2,748

7 days starting on Sep 16 from Athens (Piraeus), Greece on Seabourn Spirit cheapest per passenger fare $4,698.

7 days starting on Oct 10 from Athens (Piraeus), Greece on Silver Wind cheapest per passenger fare $8,458.

Compare those sums with Norwegian Wind and Norwegian Jewel

7 days starting on Sep 3 from Vancouver, Canada on Norwegian Wind oceanview cheapest per passenger fare $1,639

12 days starting Sep 27 from Athens (Piraeus), Greece on Norwegian Jewel cheapest per passenger fare $1,249

All inclusive isn't cheaper. you'd have to consume over $1,000 of alcoholic drinks and food to make up the difference to the cheapest all inclusive cruise in comparison. I'd rather pay as I go, thank you very much!

For the record, I was not shouting, I was emphasizing. Big difference.

Big difference-----emphasizing is done with bolding the word. SHOUTING is all caps----a computer/IT teacher to high schoolers and their yearbook advisor.:D

Hello all!

Question about the original topic: I can use the gym for free on the Jewel...right? What about the steam room? I see on the deck plans there are a few in that area...one men's, one women's, and two unmarked.

Howard

For the record, I was not shouting, I was emphasizing. Big difference.
Main line cruising just isn't what it was 10, 15 or 20 years ago. Some of your comparsons are factual and understandable, others a bit nip picking. BTW, we got shrimp cocktail on the Sun last April. I realize that was 4 months ago. Those little shrimp some keep talking about are known as baby shrimp and are just a tasty as jumbo ones, just not as pretty.

Bingo is the one thing I think we all agree about but look at how many are not playing anymore. NCL as well as other lines are going to have to decide if-1-they want to lower the price

2-have fewer players

3-discontinue it altogether.

I remember when we thought $5 was a lot to pay.

Like changes, yes, the liqour prices are high, but have you priced a drink in any major city lately? Our little town of 10,000 miles from any major city charges about $5.50 to $6.00 for a cocktail; about $5 for a glass of wine. That's why we love going to the Moose lodge once a week.

If being pampered is so important to you look at the prices electricron posted; As a TA I would love to sell you one of those cruises. Big bucks. LOL

Thanks for the response. Let's look at them in reverse order:

8) Prices for everything (except big-screen TVs, personal computers, and, well, mass-market cruises) are creeping up. Why not liquor on cruise ships?

7) There's always been a charge for bingo. I asked for examples of things that were once free but are now charged for.

1-6) Yes, some items have been replaced with others on the main dining room menus, and the buffets are not as lavish. But new items have been added to the menus, as well: stroganoff, wiener schnitzel, to name just two. Two nights in Bistro or Cagney's--total cost $35--will get you your filet, sea bass, and (large) shrimp cocktail...plus a whole lot more.

We paid $1500/person in a C oceanview for our Dream trans-Atlantic in the fall of 2002. This year we're paying $1680 in a BA for our Jewel trans-Atlantic in October. Same number of days. The $1500 in 2002 is probably worth about $1650 today given 2-2.5% annual inflation--and don't forget the increased cost of fuel. So, for an additional $30 in cruise fare plus $35 in specialty restaurant charges, we'll get a top-category aft balcony on a brand-new ship with many more amenities and a much wider choice in dining venues, giving us essentially everything in your items 1 through 6 above. Good deal, I'd say. Not something to whine--or shout--over.

I really dont want to feed into this, but i do need to add my $.02. Having gotten off the Dawn in May these are the things i noticed.

1) No more captains cocktail party (saving $ on booze). They now have something entitled "Meet the Captain" or something to that effect.

2) No more free newspapers (which i know out of the 4 lines i have been on, NCL is the only one charging for this)

3) Charging for the indoor pool?.....This one is rediculous, its nice that everyone is given the answer that it is a "Spa fee for total use of all the Spa facilities". If you actually believe that, i got a bridge for sale as well.

4) Photo ops. On any given night, just try to walk through the atrium, why do i say this?.....Because you can't, they have every junction blocked off with photo ops. The photographer was even getting pissy with people walking through!

5) You have your wonderful choice of Iced Tea or Water in the buffet, what a choice.

These are just a few things i have noticed after leaving NCL for a couple of years and coming back. Bottom line for me, i can go on virtually any other mainstream line for the same, yes, the same cost as an NCL cruise. Will i never sail on NCL again?.....I dont know, but at this time, i would rather spend my money where i am given more for my hard earned money vs. being nickel and dimed to death........

Hello all!

Question about the original topic: I can use the gym for free on the Jewel...right? What about the steam room? I see on the deck plans there are a few in that area...one men's, one women's, and two unmarked.

Howard

Why would you want to get back on topic.;) The Steam/Sauna inside are part of the fee. I believe the two outside are associated with the men/women gym changing area and would be free.

I can't be certain since I did not set foot in the gym but I recall that being posted here.

As far as the $15 indoor spa pool charge....how do they check that you paid? Is it tied to yoru card? Like, if I paid for one day and used in the morning and let me wife use my card for afternoon...would they know or care?

On the Jewel they put a sticker on my card. Since they hold your key card when they give you a locker the fact her name is not on the card could present an issue. :rolleyes:

Hello all!

Howard

Hello Howard

Thought I'd throw this out...although the gym is free, some organized "classes" may have an additional fee.

BTW-I see you're doing a cruise out of Barcelona soon (Jewel). I hope you enjoy it and are able to post a review when you return. That's one cruise my wife has specified she would like to do sometime.

take care

-Monte

Well....due to parents growing health issues :( that may require our attention for a long time to come, this next cruise we booked for April 12th, 11 nights on Dawn, could be our last one for who knows how long. So we are going to enjoy enjoy enjoy regardless of the extra charges. Prices on everything in life are always going up....it's an annoying but reasonable fact of life. :rolleyes:

I was planning to use the indoor pool as my "down time" for relaxing. Was unaware that they are now charging for it. I have no problem paying the extra charge but I am skeptical as to the reasoning why. If they want to keep kids out then the person in charge should be managing the area and informing anyone who brings them into it that they will have to leave....simple as that! They don't let people wearing jeans in the restaurants at dinner and have no problem telling people they cannot dine till they change their clothes so I do not really see why they can't control the indoor pool area the same way.

It is hard to come up with a good reason for this charge other than it's a new way to add to their profits and they do keep finding new ways as the years go by.

I too for-see cover charges for the main theater shows down the road. Perhaps they will start charging for deck chairs ( they use to charge on some ships years and years ago...a weekly charge and your chair was yours for the week stationed in one spot. Actually it's not a bad idea when you think about how hard it is to get a lounge out by the pool).

I am not against extra charges but I am against dropping the quality of the free included things like food choices in main restaurants, and I really wish they would go an extra mile or so in getting some half way decent coffee and Ice tea. That would make me a happy camper. ;)

Well....due to parents growing health issues :( that may require our attention for a long time to come, this next cruise we booked for April 12th, 11 nights on Dawn, could be our last one for who knows how long. So we are going to enjoy enjoy enjoy regardless of the extra charges.

Sorry to hear this (health problems). I hope everything works out for the best.

-Monte

Archived