Which would have most sun and best snorkeling in Apr - Western C. or Hawai

dcsam

Trying to decide between the Western C. cruise aboard the Grand Princess (Majahual, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel) OR Hawaii aboard their new ship - I think it's the Pride. Which would offer best chance of clear weather and best snorkeling opportunity?

Thank you

Carrie

We've been to all of the above, and would choose the Western C. over Hawaii any day, especially for snorkeling. It has always been my opinion that the waves in Hawaii are too big for good snorkeling (at least based on my own personal experiences).

I gotta agree. Plus the Western carib has so many world-famous reefs. I've seen some gorgeous stuff while snorkeling there. Much calmer than Hawaii and the water is just as pretty, maybe even better. I've snorkeled at Roatan, Belize, AND Cozumel and loved them all. All have great reefs, beautiful water, good visibility, and interesting sealife to see. Enjoy!

IF snorkeling is your goal - then I agree with the above posters. Good safe snorkeling is MUCH easier to access in the Western Caribbean (and the Eastern for that matter) than in Hawaii. Hawaii has some great snorkeling BUT you have to know where and WHEN to go (at certain times of the year some snorkeling areas are EXTREMELY dangerous in Hawaii). There are however many other reasons to go to Hawaii.

There are several very good snorkeling areas in the Kona area of Hawaii. But the Western C. has Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, with incredible reefs. Hawaii does not have much coral but alot of fish. There just isn't alot of color on the bottom. Also the water in the Western C. is warmer making it more comfortable.

I would agree with he others, but one fact, there is a small half sunken volcano crater off of Maui called Molokini Island, is is absolutely gorgeous out there, clear water and lots of wildlife, and on the back side is a big drop off that is super for scuba, however is best there between Dec and March because of all the whales there at that time.........as far as quantity goes, W. caribbean has lots more....

First time I have seen this many people agree on anything. I also say if snorkeling is your priority do the Grand Princess. Water has better visibility and more coral and fish.

We love the diving in the caribbean best but the top side is better on the islands of Hawaii (imho). You probably will still see whales in April but this is towards the end of the season for whales in Hawaii.

First time I have seen this many people agree on anything.
..., but one fact, there is a small half sunken volcano crater off of Maui called Molokini Island, is is absolutely gorgeous out there, ....

Except that we think that Molokini is in many ways over rated as there are many dives on Maui that are as good or better even off of the shore.

You will have a much greater difference in dive sites on the W. Carib. than Hawaii.

Some of our favorite dive/snorkeling sites on Maui (some of which can be better than Molokini).

• Honolua Bay (marine reserve)
  • Mokule'ia Beach (marine reserve) (a.k.a. Slaughterhouse Beach)
  • Kapalua Bay
  • Kahekili Beach (Old Airport)
  • Black Rock (Sheraton)
  • Kewakapu Beach (south end)
  • Ulua Beach
  • Wailea Beach
  • Polo Beach
  • Five Caves/Makena Landing
  • Maluaka (quiltergal's suggestion - and a good one)
  • Ahihi Cove (marine reserve)
  • Nothing personal, but as for mile 14, we'd have to go with the Maui Revealed authors that say "14 mile marker on hwy 30 is ridiculously overrated" It does keep the better sites less crowded though;)

A good descriptions of the sites are here:

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Maui/index.htm

Trying to decide between the Western C. cruise aboard the Grand Princess (Majahual, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel) OR Hawaii aboard their new ship - I think it's the Pride. Which would offer best chance of clear weather and best snorkeling opportunity?

Thank you

Carrie

I'm guessing the above posters favoring Western C. never made it off Oahu, which doesn't have great snorkelling. Hawaii, Maui, and Kaui all have much better and more predictable snorkelling than Western C. I took that Grand trip last March, diving was very good in Belize, but snorkelling is better in Hawaii.

I must admit that we only snorkeled Cozumel once via boat (at three different locations, August 2006) and we were unimpressed. We've snorkeled twice at a small reef off shore of Disney's Castaway Cay in the Bahamas which was very nice.

Our experience in Snorkeling is in Hawaii and I would choose Hawaii (Kona) anyday over Cozumel. I've never been to Belize or Roatan.

It's important to note that sites that are great for diving might not be so good for snorkeling and vice versa. Our first dive trip was to Belize and we loved it, but HolChan Marine Park was the only place we saw there that was good for snorkeling.

I've been to Hawaii several times before I was certified and enjoyed many great snorkel spots. But that was land based with a rental car. A lot of these places would be tough to reach on a cruise ship port call.

For a cruise I vote for Caribbean. In Hawaii it's best to choose one island and explore it thoroughly for a week IMHO.

Archived