better weather vs. fall colors

Each year is different.....

We went during the second week of Oct and there really was NO color yet. Maybe there would be more in higher elevations? Anyway, it was not that cool either. Naturally Halifax is a little cooler than NE, but all in all it was most temperate. One exception was atop Cadillac Mountain...windy and very cold! The most we wore was a light jacket or a sweatshirt.

I want to book a cruise to N. England next fall, but my mom is worried because she in prone to be cold. So September is warmer, but no colors, whereas Oct. would have better colors, but colder. Any thoughts? How cold is it?

Thanks

Take a look at this link: http://www.weather.ca/weather/stats/north_america.htm

In this page you'll find the names of the major cities in North America. Select any of them and then, you'll see the annual statistics for that city (minimum and maximum temp, precipitations, hours of sun etc...). This might help for your cruise.

As far as the colors, well your best bet should be between mid October to the end of October. Of course, if we have a cold September, the colors of the foliage will change earlier... It's always a guess...

Alain R.

Quebec city

• 3 weeks later...

this year fall colors are early, i live in the Laurentians north of Montréal and we are in the colors right now, so from year to year it differs, yesterday they had 15 centimeters of snow in the Banff area of the Canadians Rockies, last year we were in NY city in mid October, with nice warm sunny 80 degrees weather, this year we will be there a week early and i think it will be a bit cooler, you could check also this site, they could give you the average forecast

www. meteomedia.com

I had the same dilemma when I started looking for my cruise to Canada/New England. I was born in Michigan, so thought I remember the leaves turning about mid-September, so I chose the 9/24 sailing. Then started reading on this board that mid-October would be better for the foliage. I was so bummed. Then low and behold, others from Montreal, Quebec, Halifax and Saint John started posting that the leaves are turning. I think it depends on how cold/or how little sunlight the trees get that determines when they turn. So it could be different any given year. I'd try for the end of Sept/first of Oct and pray!:D

I just had to comment on a weather topic....

Today it is a beautiful Summer day of 27 degrees and the same is predicted for tomorrow and my maple tree in the back yeard is red...

I hope you will enjoy your stay no matter what the weather is...bring layers. I'mm off to enjoy this sunshine.

Kim

I just had to comment on a weather topic....

Today it is a beautiful Summer day of 27 degrees and the same is predicted for tomorrow and my maple tree in the back yeard is red...

I hope you will enjoy your stay no matter what the weather is...bring layers. I'mm off to enjoy this sunshine.

Kim

CruiseMacKenzie - you don't say where you are? And I assume that 27 degrees is Celsius?:eek:

Sorry about that.

I'm just outside Halifax and yes it is celcius. Again today it is beautiful and already well into the 20's...we are off apple picking today then a pool party after...not ususally done on the same day around here.

FYI...if anyone is going to be in town next Saturday (23rd) it will be a lively place...

Rolling Stones outdoor concert, NHL Hockey Game as well as the closing of the Atlantic Film Festival ....just to name a few....a fun time for every taste...but busy, busy, busy in the downtown area.

Kim

HI all - weather isn't looking too good for next week up your way. The weather website only goes out to Wednesday, but it's saying RAIN in New York, Boston, and Portland on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I will check again later in the week, to see what it says then. We don't leave New York until Sunday night, so that will surely put a damper on the beginning of the cruise.:mad:

Archived