Wheelchairs in Airports

catnanny

I just want to make a comment about an experience we had this summer at the airport. A friend of mine must use a wheelchair in the airports, as it is very difficult for her to take even a couple steps because of a balance problem. A late flight into Atlanta caused us to miss our flight into Pittsburgh, so we were arriving after midnight. As always, a wheelchair was ordered for her and was waiting at thebottom of the gangway, just outside the door of the plane. As usual, they requested that we wait until all the other passengers were off the plane before we started up the aisle. However, the flight attendant informed us that the wheelchair and its attendant had disappeared. Upon further checking, another couple saw the wheelchair, the woman sat down in it, and the attendant took them instead. Needless to say, the flight attendant was not happy and inquired if they had bothered to ask the woman her name. She was told they don't ever do that. If someone comes out of the plane and sits in the chair, they just take them. Because the flight was late, the flight attendants and crew wanted to get out of there. They had my friend attempt to walk up the gangway to the gate until another wheelchair arrived. A couple of people tried to help her, but with her illness, that is not an easy thing to do. Luckily, it arrived right away, but not until after we had slowly walked up the gangway to the gate. The attendant who did arrive with another wheelchair went out of his way to help us, and even made sure our ride was there before he left us and our luggage.

My point here is, this major airline should not have had her leave her seat until another chair was right there. ALso, they need to take names, so that the correct person can have what they ordered. I realize that the people who used the wheelchair may not have known, but I doubt very much if that is the case. The crew should have been more willling to wait and not have tried to rush her out of there. The plane wasn't going anywhere that night. It had been a long day and they were tired, like everyone else. I'd seen that same couple at the gate in Atlanta, and the husband had been pushing his wife in a wheelchair. (I know this sounds mean, but the one thing that made me feel better was that I saw these two people in the "lost luggage" office at baggage claim. Sorry, I'm not usually this mean, but I was tired, too!)

Any comments or suggestions?

We have had this same thing happen even with our own wheelchair. Even though you are given a gate check ticket, they never look at them and most often just bring the chair up and leave it unattended on the jetway. Now when I travel with my parents, I send my dad off the plane as soon as we arrive. His job is to be sure that the wheelchiar is there at the door (is brought up from the hold), and then to guard it so no one takes it. I stay with my mother to supervise the use of the aisle chair and her transfer, and to be sure she does not get forgotten on the plane (this happens too). I would advise you to do the same if you are arranging an airport chair.

We have learned NOT to rely upon any messages about special needs that are given to reservations or gate agents getting to either the plane crew or ground staff. Often the word never gets conveyed (the same with arranging an aisle chair and someone to assist with the transfer). Most airlines don't allow the cabin crew to assist, so other staff must come (but we have had the captain help more than once, even though not required).

They never have the name of the person who needs assistance. I suspect this will not change. It is not a requirement of the Access to the Air regulations, and in its absence there is no way the airlines can be forced to do this. You can write a letter of complaint to the Dept of Transportation, but it is unlikely to result in any changes. http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/DiscrimComplaintsContacts.htm

That works if you can walk, but my mother cannot. This means she has to wait for all the other passengers to disembark, then get lifted onto the aisle chair, and then from the aisle chair to her wheelchair. They will not do this prior to the other passengers getting off (and it would not be safe to do it that way).

Archived