New Crew Developments at NCL America

Jim Gallup

Welcome to the world of US labor laws. Not sure what the truth is but one more hurdle in trying to operate a US flagged ship. We wonder why there are no US flagged passenger fleets except this bold move that is bleeding the company dry.

A more complete article from Friday that included the following not found in the local paper.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-08-25T222436Z_01_N25598417_RTRUKOC_0_US-TRANSPORT-US-CRUISE.xml&archived=False

Susan Robison, a spokeswoman for NCL, said in an e-mailed statement on Friday that the cruise company was proud of its employment practices and record, and that it did not discriminate in hiring.

"Our employees come from a very broad range of ethnic and religious backgrounds, which provides a wonderful diversity among our staff," Robison said. She said the firings were probationary period dismissals, and NCL was confident that when the facts and circumstances surrounding them came out at trial, its actions would be judged to have been completely proper.

Well, the action is non-stop at NCL America.

Is this good news or bad?????

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Aug/23/ln/FP608230360.html

The sad thing when I first saw the reports last week on an unmoderated newsgroup the hate that is out there came tumbling out. Many commending NCL for the move even if it was not justified.:confused: :(

So much for the complaints about the "all American crew".:rolleyes:

On a more serious note, this does sound like discrimination.:( These people were from Middle Eastern descent but I think they were still Americans. Not all Middle Eastern people are terrorists any more than all Germans are followers of Adolf Hitler. I'm glad we no longer put whole races in internment camps just because we're at war with some faction of where they are from. I also don't like those that generalize and blame everything on "the all American crew" as if being American somehow makes them incompetent. This is just as much a form of bigotry as everything else I've mentioned.:mad:

These men were fired in July 2004 and they are just now filing suit or is the suit just coming to light? It seems strange that two years would pass before this suit would be filed.

Many companies have struggled with the unfortunate stereotyping of Muslims and Middle Eastern people since 9/11. There will always be people who will be leary every time they see someone from these catagories. I have actually seen people in restaurants ask to be moved to another section if they see the waitress/waiter is Middle Eastern or Muslim.

I think we will hear of more situations like this from all industries over the next few years.

These men were fired in July 2004 and they are just now filing suit or is the suit just coming to light? It seems strange that two years would pass before this suit would be filed.

You have a certain amount of time before you have to file a complaint with the EEOC. After that the EEOC investigates. The timeline for EEOC complaints can take awhile, as they try to avoid filing suits. From articles I've seen, they only decided to file suit after negotiating with NCLA for a while. So the fact that 2 years has passed is not really that strange. Whether or not NCLA was in the wrong, I have no idea.

I don't think anyone should draw any conclusions yet. This is only the beginning of the case; there is an allegation by workers that has been denied by the company. We should not jump to the conclusion that the workers were treated unfairly or that there were valid security concerns; it is just too early to tell.

Archived