Statute of Liberty & World Trade Center

bling19572010

We will be arriving at the Newark Airport at 10:30 am on Nov. 2, 2006 and staying at the Airport Marriott and would like to see both the Statute of Liberty and the World Trade Center. Can anyone please help me out and tell me the best mode of transportation to see these sites (and how to get there) and also if there would be enough time to do so on the day of our arrival. We will only be in the area for that one day as we leave on a cruise early on Nov. 3rd. Thank you!!

getting to the world trade center will be easy. getting to the Statute of Liberty will be more difficult as you won't get there until the afternoon and the last Ferry will be around 3 and may be sold out(people line up early for the tickets)....If the Hotel has a shuttle take it to Newark's Penn Station and take the PATH train to the World Trade Center Stop---then walk south to Battery Park and see if you can make the Ferry - if not take the Free Staten Island Ferry(which is also in the Park- at the southern end), back and forth which will take you right by the Statute---and then walk back to the PATH and go back to Newark...

If you can I would stay at the Marriott in the Financial District if you are leaving from Manhattan...It will give you a lot more time to see some things in NYC....

smeyer418....I'm still confused. I already have reservations at the Airport Marriott that cannot be cancelled so I'm stuck there. If we just have time for one....WTC or Statute of Liberty...we will go to the Statute....how do we get there from the airport Marriott? Thanks SO much!

If you land at 11:00 I assume you will be in your hotel by 12:30. If you eat lunch before and it takes an hour to get to Manhattan, you will be in by 2 at the earliest more likely closer to 3. Go to the WTC center site on the Path. You can also "see" the Statute of Liberty before coming back to the hotel by taking the Staten Island Ferry but the chances you will not have time to visit it no matter what you do. The WTC site has a viewing platform and you can walk around it.

The other way is to take a cab to the Liberty State Park in NJ and take the Ferry to the Statute from there. But I belive the last Ferry is at 4 or so anyway so you won't have much time and won't get to Manhattan at all.

http://www.circlelinedowntown.com/refer_statueFerryLibertyPark_schedule.html

http://www.nps.gov/stli/

Me I would go to Macys at Herald Square, But that is me. If I never been to NY I would go to the MetroPolitan Museum of Art. and then walk over to Madison Avenue and then head down Fifth Avenue, this is much more NY than anything else. The hole in the World Trade Center is too depressing. I would then head out for the Staten Island Ferry to see the harbor and pass the Statute of Liberty.

You really have no time to do much.

smeyer418...thanks for your honest opinion. You're right....WTC would be depressing and I really don't want to start my vacation out in tears. Is Macys a large department store or is there something else specail about Macys? Is it safe to walk down fifth avenue in the evening?

Macy's at Herald square is billed as the World largest store. All Manhattan below 96th street is safe at night unless you are drunk and not watchful. Fifth Avenue and Madison Avenue are absolutely safe. That doesn;t mean you shouldn't be watch ful but NYC is generally the safest large city in the US. Much safer than DC for instance. You do hear about an occassional incident but its because crime is so rare here now and NY is the media capital so if someone burps in NY you hear about it.

What all is there to do on Fifth Avenue and Madison Avenue in the late afternoon and evening. I hate to appear stupid, but I'm clueless about NYC. Thanks!

Walking down Fifth Avenue takes you past Rockefella Center, St. Patricks Cathedral, Tiffany's, Trump Plaza, (shown on the Donald's show every week you can go into the lobby and look around its gorgeous), the Plaza (which is being converted into condos but you can still go in for tea), and right into Central Park for your horse & buggy ride (Nov 2 should be perfect for that and you will be perfectly safe the park is not to be missed). Madison Avenue which is also 6th Avenue is lots of stores. Macy's is a department store so its do you want to shop or site see.

Thanks MJ Easley...sounds awesome. Is there any way that we could fit seeing (not necessary from land) the Statue of Liberty and then take a walk down fifth avenue along with the horse & buggy ride from probably 2:00 in the afternoon until around 11:00 that night? If we can accomplish that in regards to our time constraints how would we go about getting transportation to all these places? NYC's transportation system intimidates me to say the least. <G>

Madison Ave is not 6th Avenue that is the Avenue of Americas(which no NY says we just say 6th Avenue) and the subway is fastest way to get around for any distance. You can also take a bus. For $7.00 per person you can ride all day both subways and buses- but not the PATH which is technically not part of the MTA the New York City Transit system. You should look at www.nyc.com which is the tourist bureau site. and by the way Cabs are not that expensive. NY is a great walking city....

Thanks MJ Easley...sounds awesome. Is there any way that we could fit seeing (not necessary from land) the Statue of Liberty and then take a walk down fifth avenue along with the horse & buggy ride from probably 2:00 in the afternoon until around 11:00 that night? If we can accomplish that in regards to our time constraints how would we go about getting transportation to all these places? NYC's transportation system intimidates me to say the least. <G>

You can accomplish all of this and more. Just don't wear cute shoes - wear walking/jogging shoes - take your time and enjoy and when you get to the finish line take a cab back to Penn Station or the Empire State Building and see the City lite up at night it is spectacular.

The concierge at your hotel could set you up with a limo to drop you off in the city and arrange for a pick up at a specific point later or point you in the direction of the train to take you into Penn Station. If you take the train to Penn Station when exiting on 7th Avenue you would be facing the Hotel Pennsylvania and you would walk to your left toward Macys (on the corner of 34th Street & 7th Avenue) make a right on 34th Street and you can walk toward the Empire State Building (corner of 34th & 5th Avenue) make a left on 5th Avenue and just continue to walk down 5th Avenue.

Macys sits on 7th Avenue, the next is Avenue of the Americas (6th Ave), and the next is 5th Avenue and then Madison Avenue and finally Park Avenue.

The Taxi’s aren’t that expensive and the subways are very intimidating to a newcomer. If you are ever in doubt don’t be embarrassed to stop someone and ask for directions or pop into a nice hotel and inquire at their concierge desk for help. They give you maps and trace the routes for you. If your ship is leaving from NYC the ship will go right by Lady Liberty and you will be able to view her from the (excuse me) right side of ship leaving NYC.

That weekend is the NYC Marathon which brings hundreds of thousands of people to NYC (I'm also arriving November 2nd).

The crowds are so massive, allow twice as much time to do anything and for your own sanity, stay out of Times Square.

I would walk the Brooklyn Bridge and then ride the Staten Island Ferry (free) for the very best views of Lower Manhattan, Financial District, Brooklyn Bridge, and the Statue of Liberty.

The very best time to ride the ferry is at dusk.

There are so many cool things to do downtown and this website is excellent with free maps, guidebooks, dining and shopping guides, and free transportation.

www.DowntownNY.com

Blue Heron, have you gone out of Bayonne, I haven't been there in years and I just can't remember if you see Liberty when you go over the bridge or not or where the cruise port acutally is. I must take a ride some day. Another question how difficult would it be for them to take a post cruise tour of Statute of Liberty? (since it's right there)

Seconding opinions expressed earlier -- the WTC site looks like a large construction site and is not in and of itself sepcial to see. If you lost someone on 9/11 it can be a spiritual visit, but otherwise you can probably skip going to the site. Seeing the Statue of Liberty (or the Empire State Building, for that matter) is going to use up 1/2 a day. NYC has so much more to offer that you can pack in to one day if you don't spend all of your time at a single place.

Seconding opinions expressed earlier -- the WTC site looks like a large construction site and is not in and of itself sepcial to see. If you lost someone on 9/11 it can be a spiritual visit, but otherwise you can probably skip going to the site. Seeing the Statue of Liberty (or the Empire State Building, for that matter) is going to use up 1/2 a day. NYC has so much more to offer that you can pack in to one day if you don't spend all of your time at a single place.

I think I'll just try to figure a way to take the Ferry by, but not to, the Statute of Libery and then head to the Empire State Building. What the quickest and easiest way of doing this...transportation wise?

I think I'll just try to figure a way to take the Ferry by, but not to, the Statute of Libery and then head to the Empire State Building. What the quickest and easiest way of doing this...transportation wise?

From your hotel, get a cab to Newark Penn Station. At the train station, follow the signs to the PATH Train to the World Trade Center. It will be $1.50 for each of you; it helps to have exact fare for the machines at the station.

That happens to take you right next to Ground Zero, so if you change your mind and want to look around at the exhibits, there you are. Otherwise (or after), when you leave the PATH station, the street perpendicular to where you come out is Church Street. Head south (right) on Church Street until it comes to an end at South Ferry (about 10-12 blocks).

Inside the terminal, board the Ferry (it is free). When you arrive in Staten Island, board it to come back to Manhattan.

Once back in Manhattan, look (or ask) for the R subway train at Whitehall Street in front of the ferry terminal. In the subway station, buy a Metro Card -- figure out how many trips in total (for the entire day) your party will take. If it's more than 5 total, plan on $1.60 per trip; otherwise plan on $2.00 per trip -- buy a MetroCard with that amount * the total number of trips. Swipe it through the turnstile once, have one person go through, swipe it again, the next person goes, and so on.

On the platform, go to the side saying R train Uptown/ Queens. Get on the train and ride until the 34th Street station. Now you are at 34th Street and 6th Avenue (or near there -- it's a big station, so you may come out on a side street a block away). Go to 34th Street and 5th Avenue, which is where the Empire State building is.

To return, retrace your steps, taking the R train downtown/Brooklyn and getting off at City Hall; walk 4 blocks to the PATH Station and take the PATH train to Newark.

Alternately, you can just get a cab anywhere and tell it where you want to go in the city -- anywhere from $5 to $25 depending on the distance. Someone mentioned that the marathon is that day, but not anywhere below 57th street, so you shouldn't have a problem from downtown to 34 street (though traffic is always bad on Saturdays in the fall). You can also get a cab from the hotel into the city, though there will be considerable traffic at the tunnel. Taking a cab home from the city is more difficult since they won't like (and aren't required) to go to Newark unless it's the airport -- but you can also call in advance for a car service (try 212-777-7777 or 212-666-6666; they are the popular ones) and see how much they will charge. But I consider that cheating -- when in New York, do as a New Yorker.

It sounds a lot more daunting than it is. When you're looking for a subway station or something, don't hesitate just to ask someone and you'll be fine.

JMAT have you considered going to the Statute of Liberty after your cruise? If you look at a map the Statute is literally in Bayonnes backyard.

MJEasley....that would be a good idea but our cruise is a repositioning cruise and we return to Miami and not Cape Liberty....but I appreciate your suggestion! thank you.

From your hotel, get a cab to Newark Penn Station. At the train station, follow the signs to the PATH Train to the World Trade Center. It will be $1.50 for each of you; it helps to have exact fare for the machines at the station.

That happens to take you right next to Ground Zero, so if you change your mind and want to look around at the exhibits, there you are. Otherwise (or after), when you leave the PATH station, the street perpendicular to where you come out is Church Street. Head south (right) on Church Street until it comes to an end at South Ferry (about 10-12 blocks).

Inside the terminal, board the Ferry (it is free). When you arrive in Staten Island, board it to come back to Manhattan.

Once back in Manhattan, look (or ask) for the R subway train at Whitehall Street in front of the ferry terminal. In the subway station, buy a Metro Card -- figure out how many trips in total (for the entire day) your party will take. If it's more than 5 total, plan on $1.60 per trip; otherwise plan on $2.00 per trip -- buy a MetroCard with that amount * the total number of trips. Swipe it through the turnstile once, have one person go through, swipe it again, the next person goes, and so on.

On the platform, go to the side saying R train Uptown/ Queens. Get on the train and ride until the 34th Street station. Now you are at 34th Street and 6th Avenue (or near there -- it's a big station, so you may come out on a side street a block away). Go to 34th Street and 5th Avenue, which is where the Empire State building is.

To return, retrace your steps, taking the R train downtown/Brooklyn and getting off at City Hall; walk 4 blocks to the PATH Station and take the PATH train to Newark.

Alternately, you can just get a cab anywhere and tell it where you want to go in the city -- anywhere from $5 to $25 depending on the distance. Someone mentioned that the marathon is that day, but not anywhere below 57th street, so you shouldn't have a problem from downtown to 34 street (though traffic is always bad on Saturdays in the fall). You can also get a cab from the hotel into the city, though there will be considerable traffic at the tunnel. Taking a cab home from the city is more difficult since they won't like (and aren't required) to go to Newark unless it's the airport -- but you can also call in advance for a car service (try 212-777-7777 or 212-666-6666; they are the popular ones) and see how much they will charge. But I consider that cheating -- when in New York, do as a New Yorker.

It sounds a lot more daunting than it is. When you're looking for a subway station or something, don't hesitate just to ask someone and you'll be fine.

Klflote....thank you so much! What great information and I really appreciate your input. I'm printing your reply to take with me and hopefully all will turn out well!

Gray Line has a double decker bus that does tours of NYC - It's not unreasonable and it's a hop on hop off bus tour. I live in NY (Long Island) and have done it twice (with visitors from out of state).

The link for thier site is http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/

Being you are limited on time and a little nervous about traveling around manhattan - and the desire to see the Status of Liberty this might be something your interested in.

You can purchase your tickets on line - the only thing I don't see is the times that they operate - you may want to call them to check that out.

In a New York Minute Package

Offered By: Gray Line New York Sightseeing

Don't have a lot of time? See it all with this photo-op-filled combo package!

Duration: 2+ hours for Downtown Loop, 45 minutes for Lady of the Harbor Cruise

Departs From: Downtown Loop departs from Gray Line Visitors Center @ 777 8th Avenue (between 47th & 48th Sts.), Lady of the Harbor Cruise departs from Pier A

Next Departure: Wednesday, 9/6/2006

Fares:

Adult - $65.00

Child (Ages 5-11) - $45.00

Scheduled Days and Times:

Operates Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday

Tour Description:

Need a quick tour, don't have a lot of time, but want to see it all? In a New York Minute is the perfect combo package for you!

Package includes:

- Double Decker Downtown Loop

- Ticket to The Empire State Building Observatory

- Lady Liberty Harbor Cruise

Stops on the Downtown Loop include Greenwich Village, where the literary past comes alive, and the New Times Square, Empire State Building - an icon of architecture, as well as the Flatiron building and Union Square shopping districts, Soho, Chinatown, Little Italy, Lower East Side, East Village, Rockefeller Center, Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum and more.

The Downtown Loop

Times Square

Empire State Building

Rockefeller Center / Top of the Rock

World Trade Center Site

Little Italy, and more!doubledeck12-sm.jpgliberty01-sm.jpg

Lady of the Harbor Cruise is a 45 minute picturesque cruise circumnavigating Liberty Island, home of The Statue of Liberty. The cruise departs at Pier A, but does not make any stops. The cruise will pause on the water near Liberty Island so you can take all the closeup pictures of The Statue of Liberty, as well as all the breath-taking views of the Manhattan Skyline!

See our hop-on, hop-off map for more details.

TIP: Spend more time sightseeing. You can purchase admission to popular attractions along our tour route directly from our website when you checkout.

Terms and Conditions:

On-line tickets are non-refundable and can be redeemed up to ONE YEAR from date of purchase.

Your 24-hour Downtown Loop Tour ticket is valid from the time you arrive in NYC and exchange your confirmation e-mail for a boarding ticket.

Archived